PDA

View Full Version : Bombing Mr. Torres

Dennis Peacock
01-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Tee-Hee-Hee..........This is going to be SO FUN!!!!! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Uh....Dennis.......Dewey is a Command Senior Chief Petty Officer....that's ENLISTED.(E-8)..PROUDLY ENLISTED, I might add.....You can call him Dewey.....You can call Senior......You can call him Chief.....But Mr. Torres?

Excuse Dennis, Senior....He served in the Air Force!:rolleyes:

Dewey Torres
01-19-2009, 1:06 AM
I love you guys...(MODS)

I try not to make the military rules apply here.

Dennis,
Turning will be fun I am sure. Shall a start a thread called "The price of the bomb" Tally all my tuning related spending on it. or...

Let the next inheritor learn the lesson the hard way as I am about to?

Glenn Clabo
01-19-2009, 5:56 AM
I love you guys...(MODS)

I try not to make the military rules apply here.

We love you too man...:D

And for some of us...like me after 37 years...the rules come natural.

Jeff Nicol
01-19-2009, 7:12 AM
Dewey, As a former Army intel geek who made the lowly rank of E-5 before I got out, putting in the time and achieving your rank shows a high level of skill and knowledge! The respect you deserve was earned through hard work and dedication, and we all are pround of men and women like you who fight the fight to keep us free! Enjoy your new found hobby and the list so far is good! We can't look back at it all but it too will teach you to be humble and appreciative of each and every turning and the bit of joy you bring to others!

It will be money well spent!

We salute you,

Jeff

Jim Kountz
01-19-2009, 7:47 AM
You can call him Dewey, Senior, Mr or whatever just dont call him out. You know how squids love a good brawl!! LOL:D:D

Scott Lux
01-19-2009, 9:02 AM
I'm confused. You say a naval enlisted man went out and got bombed? Nooo. That would never happen. :cool:

Lux

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2009, 9:05 AM
You can call him Dewey, Senior, Mr or whatever just dont call him out. You know how squids love a good brawl!! LOL:D:D

I'm confused. You say a naval enlisted man went out and got bombed? Nooo. That would never happen. :cool:

Lux

Typically not on a Sunday evening anyway......:rolleyes:

Typically he'd be recovering from Saturday night....just speculation on my part.....not that I have ever done it or anything like that....

Dennis Peacock
01-19-2009, 9:18 AM
Ok then.....This is going to be fun Dewey Senior Sir.!!!!!

This is Dennis - in Conway - Shaking his head - remembering his Air Force days.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2009, 9:22 AM
We love you too man...:D

And for some of us...like me after 37 years...the rules come natural.

Clabo if you kiss him I'm gonna puke! :rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
01-19-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm just sitting back - laughing - and watching poor ole Dewey getting sucked in! He's in so deep already all you can see is his eyes and he doesn't even have his lathe yet!

Yup, he's a goner for sure!

Looking forward to the first bonker!

Jeff Nicol
01-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Not a pretty picture in my head!! Thanks Ken!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
01-19-2009, 10:25 AM
ROFLOL. Peacock you are a hoot. Dewey I am a army grunt that was in intelligence. Anybody in the service now or has been in the service gets my upmost respect. We are proud of all.

Now Dewey enjoy every moment of your new found hobby. Oh as Fitz always says take a picture of your money because you won't see much of it from now on:eek::eek::cool:;):rolleyes:

Jim Kountz
01-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Typically not on a Sunday evening anyway......:rolleyes:

Typically he'd be recovering from Saturday night....just speculation on my part.....not that I have ever done it or anything like that....

I know this too well, back in the day I had a buddy of mine in the Navy. He would come in from Norfolk and its like when his boondockers hit dry ground he would transform. He is a great guy but I can tell you we were kicked out of some of the finer and not so finer places around!!:D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Jim...Unlike Glenn Clabo or Dewey...I only did 8 years in the Navy....and yes.....I've had some serious discussions with a baseball bat yielding bartender. It always amazed me how humble I could get staring at that baseball bat.:o

Brian Effinger
01-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Bombing Mr. Torres - Tee-Hee-Hee..........This is going to be SO FUN!!!!! :D

I didn't know his dad was getting a lathe too :D Never been in the military - would be a 4-f (I think that's right?), but have nothing but the utmost respect for them.
You guys are freaking hilarious. And Dewey, you better let go of that bomb because you are sinking fast. :p

Dewey Torres
01-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Ahhh,

You guys are killing me (laughing):D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2009, 1:24 PM
Clabo if you kiss him I'm gonna puke! :rolleyes:

Ahhh,

You guys are killing me (laughing):D

Uh Dewey.....Clabo has been working around submarines for 37 years....Instead of laughing you ought to be scared! I was serious!:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2009, 11:14 PM
BTW....Dewey........

You might be being targeted by some folks other than me!:D

Dewey Torres
01-20-2009, 1:49 AM
BTW....Dewey........

You might be being targeted by some folks other than me!:D

Sheesh,
The wallet sat me down for a scolding today... but I got everything I could ever want for turning ever again:rolleyes:

mike holden
01-20-2009, 9:06 AM
"I got everything I could ever want for turning ever again"

Dewey, you KNOW the rules - no pics, didnt happen!

And boy!, are you tempting fate - "everything I could ever want" - you KNOW that aint gonna last!

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
01-20-2009, 9:09 AM
Mike,

The rookie doesn't have a clue. He can't even spell "VORTEX" yet....but he will be able to shortly!:D

Dewey Torres
01-20-2009, 9:11 AM
"I got everything I could ever want for turning ever again"

Dewey, you KNOW the rules - no pics, didnt happen!

And boy!, are you tempting fate - "everything I could ever want" - you KNOW that aint gonna last!

Mike

Mike... pics to follow but I did use the rolling eyes emoticon when I said I had everything... I know better than that. How is your low boy coming along?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-20-2009, 3:32 PM
Okay Dewey...Here's the scoop...

I just got back from the Fedex office. The Fedex Ground has an unmanned office. So I took the lathe to the Fedex Air office which is about 5 blocks from my house. The Fedex Ground people pickup there at around 1600 PDT daily. The lathe (in a box) was shipped on Fedex Ground bill # 045781710066021. It won't be in their system until sometime later today or maybe even tomorrow. The box is insured for $700.

The lathe and the 26" bed extension are screwed to a piece of reinforced plywood. I put owners manual for both the lathe and the bed extension in there along with a spare drive belt, on/off switch and motor brushes. I wrapped the 9" donut chuck with bubble wrap. There is one faceplate attached to the donut chuck and another faceplate wrapped with bubble wrap. Be sure to open anything and inspect all bubble wrap.

Later, if you decide to get a Jamieson captured HF rig, let me know and I"ll ship you the secondary rest. There was no really safe or convenient way to put it in this box and keep it from beating everything else to pieces.

It's on the way Dewey!

Dewey Torres
01-20-2009, 3:53 PM
Okay Dewey...Here's the scoop...

The lathe (in a box) was shipped on Fedex Ground bill # 045781710066021. It won't be in their system until sometime later today or maybe even tomorrow. It's on the way Dewey!

Great Ken...now the whole creek can track the bombs whereabouts. I am sure not to lose it now!:D Thanks for the packing job. Sounds like it was no treat!

Steve Schlumpf
01-20-2009, 4:05 PM
Doesn't NORAD have one of those tracking stations where we can watch the progress on TV? I mean I see it work every year on Christmas Eve! Maybe you could pull a few strings so we all can watch it's progress!?!

Brian Effinger
01-20-2009, 4:16 PM
I don't know...
Calling up NORAD and asking them to track a bomb being launched from Idaho, may, just may, get someone in trouble :D
But it sure would be funny! :D :D :D

Steve Schlumpf
01-20-2009, 4:42 PM
Always thought that was what they were supposed to track! Besides, Dewey would just say it was a package for him and it would be no big deal.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-20-2009, 9:07 PM
Dewey,

Someone must have posted your address all over restroom walls all over the country.

You have stuff coming from all over the place...Not just Idaho!

Dave Halter
01-20-2009, 9:34 PM
I'm having Austin Powers images of a slow motion bomb heading towards Dewey's place while Ken sits in his shop laughing like Dr. Evil. But you know what they say...a mind is a terrible thing!

Congrats Dewey. Looking forward to some pics!

Dave

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Hey Dewey,

That thing left Lewiston, Idaho....bounced across the Snake River to Clarkston, Washington......but it must have landed in the Snake River and floated over night down the Snake to the Columbia and down the Columbia to Portland. It just left Portland.....

George Conklin
01-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Hey Dewey,

That thing left Lewiston, Idaho....bounced across the Snake River to Clarkston, Washington......but it must have landed in the Snake River and floated over night down the Snake to the Columbia and down the Columbia to Portland. It just left Portland.....

Floated???? Did you build a raft onto the crate, Fitz?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2009, 11:07 AM
The lathe and bed extension are screwed to a piece of reinforced plywood but I really didn't think it was enough to float the box.:confused:

I suppose it might have just been trucked to Portland.....:rolleyes:

robert hainstock
01-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Why they picken on you SENIOR CHIEF As a twenty year vet who also wore a star above the anchor I wish you happy shavings. :D
Bob, ICCS, USN Ret.

Dewey Torres
01-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Why they picken on you SENIOR CHIEF As a twenty year vet who also wore a star above the anchor I wish you happy shavings. :D
Bob, ICCS, USN Ret.

Because most of them are NAVY and the ones that aren't have some connection. The remainder of them sucked me in through postings in the VORTEX r' turners forum...

That's my guess anyway. Who knows. I can take it... been blasted much worse in the mess throughout the years!

Andy Hoyt
01-21-2009, 5:12 PM
Bomb's Away for an Anchors Aweigh kinda guy

Wahooo!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey Dewey.....

It's in Henderson, CO.

Should deliver tomorrow.

We'll expect one bonker and one bowl by Monday.

The heat's on Chief!:rolleyes:

Brian Effinger
01-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Monday - that's too generous! I think we should see a bonker on Saturday, at the latest. :p

Joe Bradshaw
01-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Hey Dewey, best of luck in your new turning experience from another Navy chief. I fell into the vortex two jet minis and two oneways ago. It's more fun than liberty in Honolulu, or at least safefer(sp).
Joe Bradshaw, SWCS/MDV USN, ret.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2009, 9:01 AM
What movie was it........Slim Pickens....wearing a cowboy hat......laughing as he rode a dropped bomb? I never watched the whole movie...just remember that part....

Dewey...it's out for delivery.........

Shelters everyone.....the blast will be horrendous!

Glenn Clabo
01-23-2009, 10:04 AM
What movie was it........Slim Pickens....wearing a cowboy hat......laughing as he rode a dropped bomb? I never watched the whole movie...just remember that part....
Dewey...it's out for delivery.........

Shelters everyone.....the blast will be horrendous!

This one Fitz???

Dewey Torres
01-23-2009, 2:30 PM
Got my phone by my side and waiting for the Fedex call. I still need a few more things deilverd before I can get started.:cool:

Dewey Torres
01-23-2009, 5:11 PM
I missed the delivery today so it will be Monday at best. I called and even if I picked it up it would still be Monday.

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2009, 5:20 PM
Sorry to hear that Dewey! Oh well, gives you a little more time to figure out where to place the lathe, etc.

Glenn Clabo
01-23-2009, 5:38 PM
Oh well...it will give you more time to bone up on your quals.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2009, 5:57 PM
I'll take the blame Chief.....I gave them your home phone number.

I guess we'll let you have until Tuesday morning for the bonker and bowl!:rolleyes:

Dewey Torres
01-23-2009, 6:55 PM
Good News is my SN2 and face shield got here along with some sanding supplies!

Still waiting on books, vids, and a few more odds and ends.:)

Dewey Torres
01-23-2009, 6:58 PM
I'll take the blame Chief.....I gave them your home phone number.

I guess we'll let you have until Tuesday morning for the bonker and bowl!:rolleyes:

Ken,
Not your fault...anyway I can show you guys a bonker and a bowl this weekend! I don't need a lathe for that.

Jim Kountz
01-23-2009, 7:05 PM
Oh man, all dressed up and nothing to turn!! Bummer Dewey, frustrating isnt it?? LOL Nice shield though and chuck too!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2009, 7:48 PM
Uh.....Dewey.....we were talking about a Dewey turned...bonker and bowl. You are not supposed to buy those......

Look at this as a "delayed fuse" bombing.:rolleyes:

Brian Effinger
01-23-2009, 9:55 PM
Good News is my SN2 and face shield got here along with some sanding supplies!

Still waiting on books, vids, and a few more odds and ends.:)
Bionic shield! Wow! You're going to be just like the six-million dollar man...

.....in space! :p :D

All you need now is a laser beam on top :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh5Lh-tTSZQ

Dennis Peacock
01-23-2009, 11:35 PM
This is going to be so fun. :)

How 'bout it Dewey Senior Sir.!!!????!!!! I can't wait until Monday!!!! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Dennis....I really think Dewey was at home....refused to answer the door......he scared of being bombed!:rolleyes:

Dewey Torres
01-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Caveat: I was really exited about the bomb arriving today...

But now as I read the thread the creek may have been more exited than I was and more disappointed than I was. Says a LOT!!!

To be honest I don't have my sharpening stuff yet and no videos so it would not have been safe...

Ahh who am I kidding ....I would have done it anyway

And the wait begins~!

Dennis Peacock
01-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Dennis....I really think Dewey was at home....refused to answer the door......he scared of being bombed!:rolleyes:

Hee-Hee-hee......Yea, well, when you are "in" long enough to earn the title "Senior Chief Sir Dewey" then they can get a bit on the nervous side of things and needed the weekend to get the courage up to open the front door for the delivery man. :rolleyes: :p :p

Monday it shall be.......

I wonder how many more bombs will show up at the residence of Senior Chief Sir Dewey??

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Quien sabe?

Dennis Peacock
01-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Quien sabe?

Alguien abre la puerta.! :D

Dewey Torres
01-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Quien sabe?

Alguien abre la puerta.! :D

Yes Gents,
Patients does pay and when one door shuts another does open. The door was shut for Ken and was supposed to be open for me today...:mad::mad::mad: CRUD!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Lo siento!

Dewey Torres
01-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Lo siento!

No se preocúpe por ello.

Dennis Peacock
01-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Bump........

We aren't letting this one slide too far out of view.....

After all...it is getting closer to Monday. :D

Dewey Torres
01-25-2009, 5:32 AM
Oh no I am with you Dennis!

I spent all day to day setting this up,
watching videos, received some fallout from the bomb and buying some lumber and other various turning associated stuff:D.

She's not sliding...
I am lock!

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2009, 9:28 AM
Dewey - looks great .......but, I find that I have to move the V-arm almost all the way in when using the vari-grind jig to sharpening my bowl gouges. This may not be an issue yet - but it will be. Just something for you to think about while you are waiting for the bomb to drop!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Steve....not to worry! Dewey is pretty handy. He'll take a ball peen hammer and put a couple holes in the sheetrock!:eek::rolleyes:

Dewey Torres
01-25-2009, 4:11 PM
Dewey - looks great .......but, I find that I have to move the V-arm almost all the way in when using the vari-grind jig to sharpening my bowl gouges. This may not be an issue yet - but it will be. Just something for you to think about while you are waiting for the bomb to drop!

Ahh man... I was afraid of that:mad:. If you look again at the pic you will notice that I just got done building it out from the wall to do away with my old 6" high speed grinder. I moved it out an extra 6 inches by building an extension box. I came up with the 6" by taking my shortest tool (3/8 spindle gouge) and seeing how far it needed to come out from the wall in order for it to reach the wheel. CRRRAPPP!!!!!!

Ok well any one out there have suggestions besides dismantling the whole thing?

Start a new thread?
Shop made extension arms from wood or tubular steel?
Order a new arm and cut it short for the vari grind?

I spent too long on this yesterday to tear it all down... time to walk way and think...maybe have a Sunday beverage:mad:.

Just goes to show how smart I are:o

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2009, 4:17 PM
Dewey - you have the grinder all set up - so I would just make a stand for the grinder station, remove the system from the wall and mount to the stand. You can swing the station around when needed or push back against the wall when not needed. I built a stand for mine that put the center of the grinding wheels at around 54" high cause I don't like to bend! Just a suggestion....

This is very 'hi-tech' and made out of scrap lumber and even have a piece of cardboard held to the stand with push-pins to try and control the grinding dust.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2009, 4:28 PM
Steve...I believe I know what happened to Dewey...he hears the sound of incoming.....and the swirling of the Vortex is starting make him dizzy and effect his quilibrium. Not to worry Dewey....it will pass.....when the credit card bills start arriving you will find you feet firmly planted on the ground.:eek::D

Allen Schmid
01-25-2009, 5:02 PM
Dewey,
Well I see we are up to 4 pages on your new venture! It's great and I have been enjoying all the scuttlebutt. I see your dilemma but certainly like your sharpening stand. I have an old joiner table that I put on wheels to accommodate my set-up, similar to what Steve has. Nothing fancy but I can move it around the shop. Good idea to "think it over" and to have a Sunday beverage might be in order. Not sure how to remedy your situation but we are all looking to see how you solve the problem!
Enjoy your entrance into the vortex...it's a great thing.
Allen

Dewey Torres
01-25-2009, 5:05 PM
Dewey,
Well I see we are up to 4 pages on your new venture! It's great and I have been enjoying all the scuttlebutt. I see your dilemma but certainly like your sharpening stand. I have an old joiner table that I put on wheels to accommodate my set-up, similar to what Steve has. Nothing fancy but I can move it around the shop. Good idea to "think it over" and to have a Sunday beverage might be in order. Not sure how to remedy your situation but we are all looking to see how you solve the problem!
Enjoy your entrance into the vortex...it's a great thing.
Allen

Thanks,
It actually has a drawer which was not installed at the time I took the pic but I am off to the shop now to see what I can do to fix it. Wish me luck.:)

Brian Effinger
01-25-2009, 7:59 PM
I'd just knock a hole in the wall Dewey.

If you wanted to / are really that anal, you could add one of those desk grommets (you know the things the wires go through) just to dress the hole up. :p

Dennis Peacock
01-26-2009, 10:46 AM
OK....today's MONDAY Dewey Senior Sir.!!! :D :D

Now....go stand by your front door and wait for the delivery man. ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
incoming..........................

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2009, 12:05 PM
I hope he has his camera - cause I want to see this!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Hiding under your bed won't help Dewey! Get out there and take it like a man, Man!

Dewey Torres
01-26-2009, 12:32 PM
I do and I am home now waiting but I called FEDEX and they can't tell me when it is going to be here. I am here throughout the lunch time frame but after that I have to go back to work. Fingers crossed!

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Bernie sitting here shaking his head thinking about old Fitz getting bombed.:cool:;):rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2009, 1:04 PM
Yup! I got my education. My father used to tell me "If you hang out with dogs....don't be surprized if you find you have got fleas!" I came down here to the turners forum just because they seemed to always be having fun. Well....next thing you know the inmates here pushed me into the Vortex. My wife is still trying to find out who was involved. She's making a list.....:rolleyes:

Dewey Torres
01-26-2009, 2:06 PM
I just saw the FEDEX guy drive by my house without stopping:mad:. I thought he may have another delivery in the neighborhood so I have been waiting for 30 minutes now for him to come back. If he doesn't come back by 1230 I have to get back to work.

There can't be 2 truck in the same neighborhood I would think:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2009, 2:09 PM
Dewey,

Someone has to sign for that thing because I insured it. I'm so sorry! I just wanted to make sure that in the event it was damaged, you get a lathe of it.:o

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2009, 2:11 PM
You have to have a neighbor who can sign for it and accept delivery for you, right?

Dewey Torres
01-26-2009, 2:16 PM
You have to have a neighbor who can sign for it and accept delivery for you, right?
Yes I do but that would have required a phone call yesterday. FEDEX doesn't have "same day" communication with the drivers:mad:.

Dewey Torres
01-26-2009, 2:41 PM
Well,
No dice...gotta go:(

Pat Germain
01-26-2009, 2:46 PM
Yes I do but that would have required a phone call yesterday. FEDEX doesn't have "same day" communication with the drivers:mad:.

Isn't Wendy home today? I'm sure she wouldn't mind the Fed-Ex driver waking her up after a mid-watch sign for your lathe. ;)

Brian Effinger
01-26-2009, 4:09 PM
You should have left a note on the door for the delivery guy. I did that for UPS once, and it worked.

Dewey Torres
01-26-2009, 4:35 PM
You should have left a note on the door for the delivery guy. I did that for UPS once, and it worked.

I did do that hoping it will work!

Brian Effinger
01-26-2009, 4:53 PM
I did do that hoping it will work!
I'll cross my fingers for you. If it works, I am expecting to see a fully functioning bonker by 2200 :D

Dewey Torres
01-26-2009, 5:04 PM
:(Jan 26, 2009 1:41 PM
Delivery exception

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
Customer not available or business closed

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2009, 5:10 PM
OK, this is getting frustrating! What are your options as far as delivery at this point? Any chance you can just go pick it up tomorrow?

Dewey Torres
01-26-2009, 5:26 PM
OK, this is getting frustrating! What are your options as far as delivery at this point? Any chance you can just go pick it up tomorrow?

Believe me Steve... no one is more frustrated than me.

So after 20 minutes on the phone…

I will have it in hand tonight at 1800 hrs. I had them place it on hold so I can go pick r up!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2009, 5:28 PM
Dewey....again...my sincere apologies for making this so difficult!

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2009, 5:36 PM
Glad to hear that a phone call and I am sure just a touch of the 'Senior' attitude worked! Looking forward to seeing you with the lathe - REAL soon!

Jim Kountz
01-26-2009, 5:42 PM
There ya go Dewey ol boy, take control of the situation and make things happen!! Needless to say we are gunna want some pics, lots and lots of pics!!

Dewey Torres
01-26-2009, 5:59 PM
Pics a comin' tonight!

PLENTY OF THEM!

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2009, 6:47 PM
Chief good to see ya take control. Can't wait to see the lathe. Don't ya just hate it when the job gets in the road of fun.:mad:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2009, 6:59 PM
Dewey,

Here's my bench setup for the Bomb....

I'd not recommend it to anyone!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31672&d=1139716246

Dewey Torres
01-26-2009, 7:14 PM
Dewey,

Here's my bench setup for the Bomb....

I'd not recommend it to anyone!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=31672&d=1139716246

So that's the "diving board"?

Looks unsafe:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2009, 7:49 PM
I don't know about unsafe....When I put an unbalanced blank on there for roughing....I just tuned my favorite '60s rock station...and sometimes the bounce of the board was in time with the music....it was almost like dancing!:rolleyes:

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-26-2009, 8:29 PM
Darn--------------------If you were closer. I'd throw in a class! You goin' to be in the Peoria, Illinois area soon?

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2009, 8:44 PM
Due to another malfunciton on the part of Fedex.....this bombing is on hold.........tomorrow.....another day.......another delivery opportunity!:(

Dewey Torres
01-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Darn--------------------If you were closer. I'd throw in a class! You goin' to be in the Peoria, Illinois area soon?

Bruce

I don't think so Bruce but I appreciate the offer. Did you teach at the WC that is closing there?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Dewey,

Yup. Bruce taught there.

Dewey Torres
01-27-2009, 12:29 AM
I thought he might have. I knew he worked there just didn't remember if he taught. Thanks for the replay Ken. It took my mind off of the bomb for .0001 seconds:)

Dennis Peacock
01-27-2009, 1:07 AM
Dad-blast it all..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I going to have to come out there and deliver that thing myself!!!!??????

Oh well, there could be other bombs in the making Dewey. :rolleyes: :D
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/staff_muttley.gif

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2009, 9:51 AM
OKay Dewey.......stand still......this won't hurt a bit.........today's the day.....trust me...........:rolleyes:

Dewey Torres
01-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Well,
I just called FEDEX and now I am finally talking directly with the terminal. Trying to arrange pickup vs the crap shoot with delivery. As long as they don't put it back on the truck today we are golden. Fingers crossed.

Dewey Torres
01-27-2009, 2:35 PM
I was coming from work on my lunch break so I didn't have my camera but the poor little bomb looked like FEDEX dragged it down the road from Lewsiton to Colorado Springs when they wheeled it out so I called Ken and did not accept it. I had no choice. Good news ... it was insured!:(

The tail stock and the base were partially out of the box and the box was completely open on one side and had 3 large holes. Everything that was screwed or bolted had came loose so all that was left was the cardboard shell.

I asked the fedex guy to take some pics for me and send to my e-mail so when I get them I will post.

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2009, 3:03 PM
Dewey.............man, what can you say. I am glad that it was insured but now you have the hassle of making a claim and waiting for a check. Hope it is fast and painless but this is starting to sound like a plot to a bad movie! Hope things change for the better quickly!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2009, 3:16 PM
I'm sure glad I insured.

Dewey....I'm so sorry! I screwed everything to a reinforced plywood base. I even glued the reinforcements before screwing them to the plywood. Then I took the tailstock off and screwed a ty-wrap to the reinforcement and ty-wrapped the tailstock to the reinforment. I screwed another ty-wrap to another reinforcement member and ty-wrapped the tool rest to it. Then I did the same thing to the banjo.

The plwood base was cut to the exact inner dimensions of the double-walled box that I purchased to ship it in.

My neighbor helped me lift it into the box. I called him after talking with Dewey and he couldn't believe anything broke loose in there. He especially found it difficult to believe the plywood base was projecting from the box.

I don't understand what happened.

I'm so sorry Dewey!

Dewey Torres
01-27-2009, 3:23 PM
.... He especially found it difficult to believe the plywood base was projecting from the box.

I don't understand what happened.

The plywood base was not protruding ...It was the base to the lathe that was outside the box!

The plywood base had nothing attached to it. The lathe parts were just tumbling around in the box.

I think they must have drove a monster tuck over it.

Poor little bomb:(

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2009, 3:36 PM
Both the lathe and the bed extension were screwed to the reinforcements glued and screwed to the plywood base. Some body must have dropped it.

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2009, 3:42 PM
Yeah.....drop shipped from 20,000 feet!

Jim Kountz
01-27-2009, 3:54 PM
Wow it really is a bomb now, exploded and all. Dewey man this really stinks but hang in there sunshines a-shining at the end of it all!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2009, 4:48 PM
Well boys....it' aint a problem for Mr. Torres any longer. It's between me and Fedex.

Mr. Torres....there is a brand new Jet 12-20 VS with your name on it waiting at the Woodcraft Store in Colorado Springs, CO.

They are open untill 1900 tonight.....present your military id to pick it up!

I want a bonker by morning!:D

Dewey Torres
01-27-2009, 4:58 PM
Yes sir!

Sweeet!!!!!!:D:D

Brian Effinger
01-27-2009, 5:00 PM
Wow! What a great guy you are Ken! :) You have gone above and beyond for Dewey.

And Dewey, that really sucks that after waiting and getting missed shipments and all, the thing was busted. I bet this is the first time the bombee has ever had to go to the bomb! :D

Bill O'Conner
01-27-2009, 5:31 PM
is that kinda like getting a bigger hammer

BIll

Jim Kountz
01-27-2009, 5:42 PM
Holy cow Ken, you are one stand up guy!! Dewey if you dont get that thing this time we're all coming to CO to escort you there personally!! Now GO GET YOUR LATHE SENIOR!!

Don Eddard
01-27-2009, 5:50 PM
Hats off to Ken. I like the way you handled the problem.

Dewey, it'll be worth the anticipation and hassle.

Dewey Torres
01-27-2009, 5:55 PM
All,
I have my marching orders...

Stand by for pics!

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2009, 5:57 PM
Looking forward to it BUT do us all a favor and start a new thread!

Andy Hoyt
01-27-2009, 6:39 PM
Man o man o shevitz!

This reminds me of the first voyage of the bomb.

Dewey Torres
01-27-2009, 7:12 PM
Here is what she looked like:(:

Dewey Torres
01-27-2009, 7:12 PM
Here are the rest

Dewey Torres
01-27-2009, 7:14 PM
More pics soon!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2009, 8:37 PM
Come on Dewey! What is the hold up? I could have walked there from here and picked it up by now!:eek::rolleyes:

Don Carter
01-27-2009, 9:11 PM
Ken:
What a guy! You are the real bomb! Can't wait to see the new one, up and running!

All the best.

Don

Glenn Clabo
01-27-2009, 9:20 PM
Hey Fitz...nice job buddy.

Dewey Torres
01-27-2009, 9:40 PM
No good without the pics.

I am trying to get this set up but I haven't eaten yet so I can't promise a bonker tonight but we will see!

Meet George from woodcraft:

Here she is....got some cosmoline and some assembly ahead"

A happy Dewey just fell slam into the vortex!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2009, 9:43 PM
Go Dewey! Congrats! Enjoy my friend!

I have to admit I was afraid you had stopped at the Chief's Club to swap sea stories!

Pat Germain
01-27-2009, 9:50 PM
Awesome, Dewey! When can your new lathe come out and play? I want to see it in action. Of course, I have to be careful lest I too get sucked into the vortex...

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Dewey - CONGRATS! and Welcome to the Vortex!!! Relax a little, get something to eat and then take your time and setup your new lathe!

Looking forward to seeing your first turnings!

Jim Kountz
01-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Ground zero at last!! Way to go Dewey now you do know the tool rest has to face the other way right?? LOL Im happy for ya buddy!!
Ken: Mission accomplished!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Awesome, Dewey! When can your new lathe come out and play? I want to see it in action. Of course, I have to be careful lest I too get sucked into the vortex...

Quick...someone give Pat a little shove!:eek::D

Brian Effinger
01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Ahh, that new lathe smell! :p :D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=108342&thumb=1&d=1233110361

That is a real shame about the original bomb. What a waste.
Hey, Ken, you didn't write "BOMB" on the outside of the box, did you? Maybe FedEx thought it was a real bomb, so they smashed it.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-27-2009, 10:38 PM
YEP, but I'm not allowed to dicuss what I'm going to do.

Bruce

Dewey Torres
01-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Critiques welcome...

Isn't that what the turning pros here say..."critiques welcome":o

Well I know it isn't masterful but I found out what tear out, the MR Scew does compared to the rest of my lathe tools, and found it wasn't near as easy as it looks but it is 50 times as fun as it looks:D.

I have a long way to go to hone my skills but this felt almost therapeutic.

Thanks Guys...

Stand by for a bunch of newbie questions Starting with the SN2!

Andy Hoyt
01-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Bad form, Chief! Bad Form!

It's an un-written Blue Law around here that all first bonkers must be turned with the aid of a diving board.

And to make matters worse, you failed to provide evidence of waiting at least 30 minutes after supper before turning that damned fine looking piece of kindling.

You're allowed one do-over, but only one.

Do this again and it's Captain's Mast for ya.

:D:D:D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-28-2009, 1:00 AM
Hot darn! We got a bonker!

Way to go Dewey!

The skew......get a copy of or borrow a copy of Alan Lacer's video "The Skew Chisel...the Dark Side....The Sweet Side..."

There are two things that cause the skew difficult to use.

First you have to "ride the bevel".....put the tool to the tool rest....then raise the handle until the "heel" of the bevel makes contact....then gradually raise it until the toe..the cutting edge makes contact....

the 2 things that are important....the length of or the angle of the bevel and the sharpness.

The angle can be most easily set by measuring the length of one side of the bevel.....that length should be equal to approximately 1 1/2 times the thickness of the skew...so if the thickness of your skew is say 1/8" ...the length of one side of the bevel...should be approximately 3/16"...it it's longer than that it means the angle of the bevel is too small...that means a slight raise or change on the handle effects the skew more at the operating end...think of levers and pivot points. With a wider bevel angle..the same amount of change has less effect.

The 2nd thing is sharpness.....sharp....sharp....sharp....I grind my skew and then hone...often I can hone for days before I have to regrind. You bring the hone up to make contact with the heel and then tilt the hone until it touches the toe and make a slight up and down motion. This sharpens the toe/cutting edge and takes the sharp corner off the heel.

Go gettum Tiger! You done good for your first Bonker!

YES!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-28-2009, 1:05 AM
Dewey...don't pay attention to Andy...He'll try to befriend you and then he'll sucker you into buying stock in "Moxie".....his favorite beverage!:rolleyes:

Dewey Torres
01-28-2009, 1:20 AM
Bad form, Chief! Bad Form!

Do this again and it's Captain's Mast for ya.

Ok Andy if you can dish it out....

for one:
I am a Senior Chief not a Chief... you demoted me in your comment

for two:
It takes a horrible crime (even worse than a bonker with bad form) for a Chief, Senior Chief, or Master Chief to go to mast and even then it's more likely Admirals Mast...
It used to take an act of congress...no kidding!

I's an unwritten law that if you dog a person from the Chiefs mess you better have skin at least as think as us ok???

And besides...why you pickin' on me??? I am a bombardier now just like you! We should be family/alumni right?

Dewey Torres
01-28-2009, 1:21 AM
Dewey...don't pay attention to Andy...He'll try to befriend you and then he'll sucker you into buying stock in "Moxie".....his favorite beverage!:rolleyes:

What is Moxie?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-28-2009, 1:55 AM
Dewey,

Be gentle with Andy...He's an aging Corpsman who served with the Marines.....

Moxie....here's a link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2009, 7:18 AM
Dewey - Congrats on your first bonker! Welcome to the wonderful world of turning!

Glenn Clabo
01-28-2009, 7:48 AM
Trust me Senior...Andy has skin thicker than all of us. Think SERE instructor...AND the original pilot of the first bombing.

He's just a little distracted trying to melt all this snow with a Bic lighter.

Dennis Peacock
01-28-2009, 9:36 AM
Way to go Dewey.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see "the bomb" has showed up and safely in your home. Nice turning and one other piece of advice.....Stay away from Moxie.!!!!.....nasty mean stuff will happen if you let Andy talk you into trying Moxie. ;)

Jim Kountz
01-28-2009, 9:46 AM
Dewey does bonker!! Way to go my man, now you're well on your way to vortexdom. Now that you've sampled the new "drug" I know you're hooked so go ahead and feed your addiction, its all good!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Dewey,

Be gentle with Andy...He's an aging Corpsman who served with the Marines.....

Moxie....here's a link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie

Well shoot Ken that explains a lot about the cantankerous aging Corpsman. Sheesh that tells the whole story.:D;):rolleyes::cool:

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Congrats Dewey. Great looking bonker no matter what Andy says and welcome to the black hole of turning.

Glenn Clabo
01-28-2009, 10:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie

Some good stuff!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Moxie.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Moxie.jpg)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Well shoot Ken that explains a lot about the cantankerous aging Corpsman. Sheesh that tells the whole story.:D;):rolleyes::cool:

Bernie...it's the 3 M's.....Moxie...Maine and Marines...that'll do it to you!

Dewey Torres
01-28-2009, 11:04 AM
ok all...time to let this thread go dormant for a few years. Right when folks forget about it ....bombs away!!!

Thanks for letting me become a part of Sawmill Creek history.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-28-2009, 11:07 AM
I have a feeling Senior....it's not over yet...:D

I'm sure there's more "Incoming" headed your way......

Andy Hoyt
01-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Who you calling aging?

Harumpf and pshaw.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Andy...put your glasses on and look in the mirror!

On second thought....don't!:D

Dennis Peacock
01-28-2009, 5:04 PM
Hey....this ain't over until the fat boy sangs. :rolleyes: :D

Brian Effinger
01-28-2009, 8:17 PM
Good looking prerequisite bonker :) It seems a little thin though - you wouldn't want to break it while bonking someone on the head. :p :D