PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw wheel removal help.

Steve Vaughn
01-18-2009, 4:54 PM
Hello,

I have a 14" Delta bandsaw and I'm replacing the tires on it. The upper wheel came off with no problem and the tire is on. The lower wheel is the problem. There is a nut on the front as one would expect and when you turn it, the wheel turns. There is a nut on the back of the shaft near the pulley also. I tried putting a crescent wrench on each nut to loosen the front but it wouldn't loosen. I didn't want to "crank down" on it for fear of breaking something. Is there a trick to getting the lower wheel off?

Thanks,

Steve

Lance Norris
01-18-2009, 4:56 PM
Steve... I dont remember when I took the wheels off my Ridgid, but is it possibly left hand thread?

Steve Vaughn
01-18-2009, 5:11 PM
Steve... I dont remember when I took the wheels off my Ridgid, but is it possibly left hand thread?

Not sure and I thought about that. That's why I didn't force it and thought better to come to the net and ask. The rotation of the wheel would indicate that it would be RH threads I would think. The upper wheel is.

Thanks,

Steve

Bob Aquino
01-18-2009, 5:41 PM
If you have a socket large enough for the nut and an electric impact driver, it would probably come off pretty easily with you holding the wheel in one hand and the impact driver in the other. If not,well, you need to secure the wheel some way so that you can put some torque on the nut. If the top nut was rh thread, then the lower one will be too.

Heather Thompson
01-18-2009, 6:06 PM
Steve,

This man is the king of bandsaws, he will be able to guide you, sorry but I am sick as a dog right now.

Heather

M Toupin
01-18-2009, 6:10 PM
As Bob recommended, an impact wrench would make quick work of it. If you don't have a impact wrench then put a box end wrench or socket and breaker bar on it and smack the end with a hammer (poor boy's impact wrench)

The threads are RH, BTW.

Mike

Phil Thien
01-18-2009, 6:39 PM
On my 10" (Delta) it is a reverse thread.

Steve Vaughn
01-18-2009, 7:07 PM
Well, I just put the tire on with the wheel in place. I was going to tinker with it but ran out of time.

Thanks,

Steve