PDA

View Full Version : Two WW Shows this weekend

JayStPeter
03-15-2003, 1:18 PM
Whew ... I'm actually tired of looking at tools.
I took Friday off to go to the Chantilly woodworking show. Spent the morning in a 3 hr. seminar by Garett Hack on handplanes. It was pretty good. A little basic at times, but I learned a lot and some of my weekend purchases were affected.
In the afternoon, I wandered the halls and bought a few things. I got a Delta BOSS, some accessories for my jointech and some other odds and ends. Then, I got a little out of control at the lie-nielsen booth. I was planning on getting the rabbet block plane, but wound up also getting a dovetail saw, some scrapers, and a t-shirt. I decided to forego the 4 1/2 smoother to avoid the dog house, but I sure want one.
The only other thing that was tempting was a swiss vice that was being demo'ed. It was around $400, but could be configured for quite a few different things. It also clamped to the bench, which would make it an immediate help to me as my only bench is an industrial model not yet setup for vices. I almost went for it, but didn't really have the cash and wasn't sure it really worked as well as the demo leads you to believe. Anyone seen or have experience with it?
This morning I went to the PATINA (antique tools) show in Damascus, MD. I got there a little late, and wasn't totally impressed. There were some pretty nice things there, but mostly expensive junk. I was hoping to get some good cheap measuring tools and sharpening stones. Just about every starrett/lufkin or other quality combo-square I picked up was pretty beat up and had price tags for near new prices on them. Bottom line was I wouldn't trust that they would be any more accurate than the cheapo stuff I have. Only saw small stones, nothing that could sharpen plane blades over 2" wide. I couldn't leave empty handed, so I picked up a bedrock 605 (Garrett Hack influence :)). Not a great deal, but a decent price for what appears to be a decent plane. I now have 6 hand planes and have only really used one. Hopefully my new knowledge (and a couple of more decent planes) will inspire me to change that.