PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my new random orbit sander

Louis Brandt
01-18-2009, 3:11 PM
Hello,

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on the random orbit sander question that I posted earlier and bought a 5 inch DeWalt ROS, with an 8 hole pattern.
I also bought a package of Norton sanding disks, and the box says that the disks will fit either a 5 or 8 hole pattern ROS.

I apologize if these questions sound dumb, but here goes.

First question, should I have bought (assuming that I could find them) sanding disks designed only for a 8 hole ROS?
Second question, what do they mean when the call the disks “hook and loop”? Am I missing something or doing something wrong? The disks just stick to the bottom of the ROS. Where’s the “hook and loop”? What does “hook and loop” mean?

Thanks,

Louis

John Grossi
01-18-2009, 3:44 PM
Louis, far as I am concerned, no dumb questions here. Sounds like you are doing it correctly. The sand paper just sticks to the bottom of the sander. Make sure the paper holes line up with the sander holes for dust collection. Also, be careful not to hold the sander in one place, keep it moving. It is not like using a belt sander, but it works well enough that you can create an unwanted depression pretty quick.

David Christopher
01-18-2009, 3:49 PM
hook and loop means= velcro

Louis Brandt
01-18-2009, 3:53 PM
Thanks, now I get it. I didn't know that Velcro had a different name.

Louis

Ted Shrader
01-18-2009, 4:02 PM
Louis -

The alternative to H&L is PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive). You peel off the backing from the disk and stick it on the sanding pad. The sanding pad has a smooth surface vice the little "hooks" on the H&L pads.

Ted

Jason White
01-18-2009, 7:19 PM
The number of holes in the paper doesn't really matter, unless you're connecting the sander to a shop vac. In that case, you're probably better off with the 8-hole stuff.

Jason

Hello,

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on the random orbit sander question that I posted earlier and bought a 5 inch DeWalt ROS, with an 8 hole pattern.
I also bought a package of Norton sanding disks, and the box says that the disks will fit either a 5 or 8 hole pattern ROS.

I apologize if these questions sound dumb, but here goes.

First question, should I have bought (assuming that I could find them) sanding disks designed only for a 8 hole ROS?
Second question, what do they mean when the call the disks “hook and loop”? Am I missing something or doing something wrong? The disks just stick to the bottom of the ROS. Where’s the “hook and loop”? What does “hook and loop” mean?

Thanks,

Louis

David DeCristoforo
01-18-2009, 7:24 PM
"... didn't know that Velcro had a different name..."

"Velcro" is a brand name. "Hook and loop" is a generic term.

PS While you at at it, order a few extra pads for your sander. Eventually, the "hooks" are all going to break off so that the "loops" will no longer have anything to catch on and the sandpaper disks will start flying off or will simply no longer stick. At that point you need to replace the pad. BUT... manufacturers seem to enjoy redesigning and reconfiguring everything every year or every couple of years. So, down the road, when you need a new pad, you may find that they are no longer available. Needless to say, there is no such thing as a "standard hole pattern" for attaching the pad to the sander. So it's a good idea to stash a couple of extra pads against the day when the original pad wears out (notice my restraint in the use of the wood "if" anywhere in the forgoing comment).

Louis Brandt
01-18-2009, 10:10 PM
David,
Getting extra pads sounds like a good idea. I'm glad that you mentioned it. How long do you think that a pad will last (in general)? I guess that the question is really, "how many times can you attach a sanding disk" before it will no longer stick?
I'll try to find some extra ones.
Louis

Bill Huber
01-18-2009, 10:24 PM
David,
Getting extra pads sounds like a good idea. I'm glad that you mentioned it. How long do you think that a pad will last (in general)? I guess that the question is really, "how many times can you attach a sanding disk" before it will no longer stick?
I'll try to find some extra ones.
Louis

I have a Dewalt ROS, not sure which one it is but I have had it for about 4 years and used in a lot. I have never had a problem with the pad in that time, the sanding disk still hold tight.

David DeCristoforo
01-18-2009, 10:30 PM
My sanders are in use all day every day. Pads usually need replacement a couple of times a year. I don't know how much "a lot" is but trust me... sooner or later the pad will wear out. The frustrating thing is that after they won't hold H&L disks anymore, they are still too "rough" to hold PSA disks either!

Bill Huber
01-18-2009, 10:42 PM
My sanders are in use all day every day. Pads usually need replacement a couple of times a year. I don't know how much "a lot" is but trust me... sooner or later the pad will wear out. The frustrating thing is that after they won't hold H&L disks anymore, they are still too "rough" to hold PSA disks either!

I should have added that I am a hobbyist and do not use my sander like you.
When I say a lot, it is the only hand sander I have and it gets used on every thing I build, again it is not use all day every day.

Also I was just thing about it and I have had it for 6 years and used it to refinish two different sets of kitchen cabinets. I am a light handed sander and I don't use very low grit paper, I think that I have had 60 in it one time. Most of the time I am using 150 or higher, that could make a big difference.

Michael Pyron
01-18-2009, 10:49 PM
replacement pads for the DeWalt ROS's are available at Hell Depot, so there is really not a need to buy extra (unless you are into production work and would suffer unless you had an immediate replacement). One usually gets a bit of warning about failure in the form of being able to hear the sand paper flapping a bit. If you keep using it the paper eventually just flies off (total failure of the system). I use my sander pretty much daily and for $, so I do try to have an extra on hand just in case. I find that at my usage (which is not as David Cristoforo) pads last about a year. Sometimes I use the ROS for hours on end, and other times use it for a few seconds....its all according to exactly what I have going that day.

Rich Engelhardt
01-19-2009, 6:41 AM
Hello,
I also have a DeWalt ROS.
Mine gets used a fair amount.
I't been a very good sander so far.

To make chaging disks easier, I built this simple jig:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68647

It works on both my DeWalt and Porter Cable ROS's.

Louis Brandt
01-19-2009, 3:00 PM
Hello Rich,
Thanks for the idea. I just built one myself a few minutes ago. Didn't take a photo, but it's the same idea, just a scrap of wood with shallow holes, with some short 3/8 inch dowels tapped in. It does make lining up the holes for the ROS automatic.
Louis

Jason White
01-19-2009, 6:27 PM
FYI -- the replacement pads at Home Depot that are branded as "Porter Cable" fit the DeWalt sanders. They are 5-hole, however.

JW

replacement pads for the DeWalt ROS's are available at Hell Depot, so there is really not a need to buy extra (unless you are into production work and would suffer unless you had an immediate replacement). One usually gets a bit of warning about failure in the form of being able to hear the sand paper flapping a bit. If you keep using it the paper eventually just flies off (total failure of the system). I use my sander pretty much daily and for $, so I do try to have an extra on hand just in case. I find that at my usage (which is not as David Cristoforo) pads last about a year. Sometimes I use the ROS for hours on end, and other times use it for a few seconds....its all according to exactly what I have going that day.