PDA

View Full Version : You're not kidding about this vortex!

Narayan Nayar
01-18-2009, 12:28 PM
I've been making some wooden toys for my son and found myself wanting to get a little more sophisticated about the round components than hole saws on my drill press. And after taking a couple of classes a few years ago, I've wanted for a long time to turn bowls. So a few months ago I started researching what it would take to get started in turning, taking the first plunge via DVDs and books.

I have been picking up accessories here and there as I troll CL and forums looking for good deals on used or NIB items. And though I am tentatively planning on buying a larger lathe in March, I found a Jet 1014VS on CL last night and picked it up for a decent price so I can get started. I figure this lathe will be handy even after I get a larger one; it seems most people seem to have one of these laying around.

But my goodness. Turning is a huge universe unto itself. And the first step into the vortex is not a small one, even when deal hunting. Grinding jig, respirator/facemask, chuck, a few tools... my my.

Wish me luck. I'll be taking a turning class in the next month if my work travel schedule allows it. If there are any turners in the area that wouldn't mind showing me the ropes, dinner's on me.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Narayan...you may be broke like the rest of us turners....but you'll also smile more like the rest of us......and the folks that you work with will wonder what drugs you are on......:rolleyes::D

Congrats on your Abyseration!

Narayan Nayar
01-18-2009, 12:38 PM
the folks that you work with will wonder what drugs you are on......:rolleyes::D

Oh, they do that already. If not about woodworking, then about the work I do for them. :)

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Congrats on your new lathe Narayan! Turning really is a vortex but a fun one! Looking forward to seeing photos of your turnings real soon!

Dewey Torres
01-18-2009, 1:24 PM
Just fell into the dog gone thing myself:D

Allen Neighbors
01-18-2009, 1:33 PM
Welcome to you! You'll have an even bigger grin on your face soon. :D

Dustin Cranford
01-18-2009, 1:42 PM
That grin is like a tranferrable warranty. When the shop owners lose their grins you will finally get yours.

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2009, 2:41 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. Sounds like you have a plan of action that will serve you well. I can't agree more about the grin on your face and the feeling you get with a instant product. I can go in my shop after a really bad day at work and in 3 minutes I have forgotten the day. I am happy to say today with 3 yrs of woodturning and a little exercise my doc has taken me off the blood pressure pills.

Chip Sutherland
01-18-2009, 10:23 PM
You get big points for getting the facemask and respirator. Do yourself and family a huge favor. Wear that facemask and wear that respirator. I am very good about wearing my facemask and it's saved me several times. Googles or prescription glasses wouldn't have. Respirator is still a struggle for me when sanding....I remember about half way through. I wear both when I'm turning logs round because of the bark/moss.

Narayan Nayar
01-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I'm hoping to get into a class this week if possible.

Regarding the respirator--I can't forget that. I've got asthma. Even with a dust filter and the cyclone I've already got in my shop, I've got a mask on most of the time. I went with the Trend Airshield Pro. Maybe at some point in the future I'll consider something more like the Adflo, but I already have a respirator for spray finishing.

Dewey, I know you just got the bomb--congrats. I've been looking at your thread "Going down the list", checking stuff off for myself as well, so thanks for that!

So far, for me:

Grumbine & Raffan DVDs
Raffan & Ellsworth books
Supernova 2 chuck & insert
G3 chuck & insert
Wolverine grinding jig & vari-grind
3/4" spindle gouge
1/4" parting thingy
3/8" bowl gouge
some kind of radiused skew scraper type whatchamacalit

And oh yeah, a lathe and some wood. :)

Everything else I've more or less got in my shop already. I'll need some calipers, etc., but I'll grab those as needed. The class will teach me a lot, I'm sure. Hope I can get in this week.

Cheers!

Dewey Torres
01-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Congrats on the new lathe. Sounds like you have a plan of action that will serve you well. I can't agree more about the grin on your face and the feeling you get with a instant product. I can go in my shop after a really bad day at work and in 3 minutes I have forgotten the day. I am happy to say today with 3 yrs of woodturning and a little exercise my doc has taken me off the blood pressure pills.

Bernie... that is amazing! Congrats on your health and hobby!

Dewey Torres
01-19-2009, 1:00 AM

Dewey, I know you just got the bomb--congrats. I've been looking at your thread "Going down the list", checking stuff off for myself as well, so thanks for that!

So far, for me:

G3 chuck & insert

G3 chuck & insert (what is this???)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2009, 1:02 AM
Dewey...it's just another model of chuck...like the SN2 is a model...

Dewey Torres
01-19-2009, 1:07 AM
Dewey...it's just another model of chuck...like the SN2 is a model...

So why does he need both?:o

Narayan Nayar
01-19-2009, 1:32 AM
I don't. And technically, I don't need the lathe either. I could just chew all that wood off. :)

Having more than one chuck gives you the ability to have more than one piece ready to turn. And some chucks are better suited for certain-sized pieces. Most turners I know have several chucks.

But keep in mind--I wasn't planning on buying the mini-lathe. I found a good deal on the SN2 a week or two ago and bought it thinking it'd be a good match for the lathe I'll eventually end up with, the DVR XP.

When I got the mini-lathe, I figured I'd get a chuck better suited for the smaller lathe.

So, yeah, check this link (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Alternative_Product%20Main%20Page.htm#Chuck) out and try not to buy everything. :)

Dewey Torres
01-19-2009, 2:05 AM

So, yeah, check this link (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Alternative_Product%20Main%20Page.htm#Chuck) out and try not to buy everything. :)

Sheesh:eek: The only thing I recognized was the 10 in one gauge / center finding thingy... and even that is iffy:o

Man this is going to be one heck of a ride:D