PDA

View Full Version : Stand alone router table vs. TS extension router table

Don Jeansonne
01-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I am agonizing over which way to go -- a cast iron extension to my table saw or build a "Norm" type stand alone table. I can handle the added space but everyone can use more floor space. I would have to make the table movable/casters. You just never know what space you need in the future as you add more tools and things. The cost difference using a Peachtree extension is not "too" significant if I have to purchase all the parts of a stand alone.
Things I would would like help on or input are :
1) Does the TS extension being only 27x20 or so (RT-24x32) create any real problems in performing typical work? What are the negatives?
2) Does the two interfere with each other and make work cumbersome?
3) Is there an easy way to address the noise enclosure for the TS extension mount?
4) Is there any advantages or a left wing TS mount vs. the right wing?
5) Can you give your opinion of the pros & cons of separate table vs. TS extension by priority or importance?

Myk Rian
01-18-2009, 12:16 PM
I have a separate cabinet. Many have complained that a TS extension has a tendency to get in the way at times.

Jason Stein
01-18-2009, 12:32 PM
I stopped using my router table and went exclusively to my table saw because it offers more table space to support long panels. Plus my Rockler router table has the big blue plate that has to be adjusted to keep it level. That isn't hard or that big of a deal, but I don't have to think about it at all with the cast iron TS extension.

Jason White
01-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I spent about $300 on a Rockler stand-alone router table and ditched it for a cast-iron router table extension wing that bolts onto my contractor-type tablesaw.

The only thing you really lose with a tablesaw extension wing unit is dust-collection from below. However, you can always build a little box underneath to deal with that.

I've never regretted having the extra floor space (I have a one-car garage). Plus, I can use the same outfeed table as my tablesaw for longer stock for mouldings, etc. My Bench Dog unit came with a really good fence, but if you really needed to you could use the tablesaw fence for extra-wide pieces.

Jason

I am agonizing over which way to go -- a cast iron extension to my table saw or build a "Norm" type stand alone table. I can handle the added space but everyone can use more floor space. I would have to make the table movable/casters. You just never know what space you need in the future as you add more tools and things. The cost difference using a Peachtree extension is not "too" significant if I have to purchase all the parts of a stand alone.
Things I would would like help on or input are :
1) Does the TS extension being only 27x20 or so (RT-24x32) create any real problems in performing typical work? What are the negatives?
3) Is there an easy way to address the noise enclosure for the TS extension mount?
5) Can you give your opinion of the pros & cons of separate table vs. TS extension by priority or importance?

Larry Charlot
01-18-2009, 12:49 PM
I put my TS extension together last night and am about to go mount the router. Number 1 reason was space available. I now see the added area on the table saw will be an advantage as well.

Larry

Stephen Edwards
01-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I think that the thing about an extension table for a router attached to the TS that would bother me would be that the two machines are then "married", so to speak. Perhaps I'm wrong, having never had that set up.

I prefer separate, free standing machines. If my RT Extension is set up for a specific task I wouldn't like the fact that the TS is then limited by the RT set up. Seems like a lot of hassle to me. My two cents worth.

Dewey Torres
01-18-2009, 12:59 PM
It shouldn't cause any problems. One drawback for a router table in general is when using the table saw you often have to lower the router bit or take it out so it doesn't interfere with the TS operation. Most who have one...me incld, consider this a good sacrifice for space. You are correct BTW that it is likely you will gain so many stationary tools, the stand alone will give way to the TS setup.

See above

Many folks here on SMC have build DC enclosures on the bottoms. Like this one (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97776&highlight=router) by Matt Meiser. More for dust than sound although it is sure to do both.

Look at where the router will sit from the bottom and ask yourself what it blocks access to... then do the same for the top considering TS operations. Most folks prefer it on the right side.

TS Ext Pros:
1) space saver
2) close to the TS
3) can put a tee in DC and use for TS and router

TS Cons:
1) Have to sacrifice interference with TS operations
2) Not as flexible on fence options as a custom standalone
3) Will likely block access to TS door

Stand alone Pros:
1)Custom storage
2)Decisions are limitless
3)Mobility
Stand alone cons:
1)Takes up space
2)Building them is an undertaking and buying them is expensive
3)See con number 1

Jim O'Dell
01-18-2009, 1:31 PM
One extra feature that a stand alone RT will offer, if built the same height, is to act as an infeed/outfeed table for breaking down sheet goods on the table saw. I've used mine that way several times. It's a big help when working by yourself.
As others have said, there are pros and cons to each. I thought for a long time how to do it. Built an TS extension set up out of salvaged cabinet parts, even built a lift out section for the router, (not really a plate as it was 3/4" thick ;) ), mounted and used it for a while as an extension table, then decided to build the separate unit for the extra size table for the big Incra fence system (36 X 53). But even the Incra fences can be mounted in a way that they will dismount quickly and easily to change from TS to RT. Jim.

M. A. Espinoza
01-18-2009, 1:48 PM
Folks seem to have the pro's and con's covered.

From experience I would suggest doing the extension router table AND buying an inexpensive plate and making another router table top. Something that can be simply set on a couple of saw horses. Even just a piece of mdf with a hole in it will be useful.

99% of the time if you plan your work it won't interfere with other operations. But there are those times when it would be worth setting up the temp table or when doing cope and stick doors/panels a second table is pretty nice to have.

Also adding an extension table will be much faster than building/finishing/adding hardware to a dedicated cabinet.

If you have the room add to the extreme right side of the table saw and its even less likely to interfere.

In my last shop (more room) I had a router mounting on both the left and right end of my table saw AND the temporary table. This was a result of shop evolution, not intentional. But there were times all three were being used and it was great not having to change setups for certain operations.

Cope/stick doors with raised panels and complex molding work comes to mind.

Just my 2 cents.

Jason White
01-18-2009, 7:24 PM
You're absolutely right. If you have the floor space, a stand-alone router table is the way to go.

Unfortunately, I'd venture to guess that most of us don't have the floor space. Most woodworkers I know work in less than ideal conditions (half a 2-car garage, a one car garage, a cramped basement, a shed, etc.)

JW

I think that the thing about an extension table for a router attached to the TS that would bother me would be that the two machines are then "married", so to speak. Perhaps I'm wrong, having never had that set up.

I prefer separate, free standing machines. If my RT Extension is set up for a specific task I wouldn't like the fact that the TS is then limited by the RT set up. Seems like a lot of hassle to me. My two cents worth.

Sonny Edmonds
01-18-2009, 7:49 PM
To me, having the RT (two stations) built into my side table gives me the advantages of the out feed table to use, and also the stability of the mass of the TS in my case.
I also use my feeder with my RT station.

If I were doing it all again today, I'd opt for a wing made of cast iron with my Bench Dog Pro Lift in it. I'd put it to the right side, just as mine is now.
I do production runs occasionally on mine.

Separate tables can't be anywhere as stable as a 687 pound (before the add-on's) cabinet saw with a side and out feed table. ;)

Also, about #4...
It can make a world of difference if you need to open the cabinet door on a cabinet saw. Mine is left tilt. I put my RT on the right side of the saw. (Well, duh! That is where the side table is.)
On the left, if I'd had the option of a wing RT, I would have had to remove the lift/router to open the door.
Just a point... ^

John Sanford
01-18-2009, 8:16 PM
Putting the router into the extension wing effectively gives you the entire tablesaw as a work surface. Does it matter? Occasionally the extra space is handy.

Depends entirely on how you work. Generally, in order to use the tablesaw, you will have to lower the router bit below the table. You'll rarely have to lower the sawblade. If you're disciplined enough, losing the router bit height setting won't be a problem.

Depends on your saw. Generally, you can build a cabinet or simply a box around the router, as long as there aren't any controls or other things interfering with the box. Never having used an enclosed router, I don't know if it will actually make much difference in the noise level.

If you have a bone stock saw without any outfeed tables, then it doesn't make any difference, except that you're feeding stuff in the same direction for both tools. If your saw has an Incra fence or the like, then the right wing isn't very practical. If you've got a big outfeed table, then the left wing is preferred, because you're more likely to have outfeed table behind the left wing. If you have a big honkin table to the left of the blade as well, then the right wing is the place, 'cause you can reach it!

5) Can you give your opinion of the pros & cons of separate table vs. TS extension by priority or importance? Extension saves space, gives you a much larger work surface. Your TS fence can do double duty. A separate RT can be higher or lower, rather than being locked to the height of the TS. Its easier to make it mobile. If you change saws, you'll have no worries about whether or not your router extension will fit.

FWIW - I've went the extension wing route. My preference having used both would be to have a separate router table AND a setup in the wing.

Bill Huber
01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
My shop is only 12x16 and I have a Stand Alone router table and love it.

I like my router table higher then the top of the table saw, to me things are just easier to control.

I like the bit storage right there with my router and the tools also.

I put the fence all the way to the back and put a 3/4 slab of MDF to use as a work table.

I will set my router up for a job and still be able to use my table saw for other things, my workflow is not very good.

I have to have some place to set my coffee when cutting on the table saw. I also have to have some place to set my coffee when I am using my router. I can't use the bench, its always full of stuff.

John Keeton
01-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I had (still have) a Veritas router table for years. But, I acquired a new Grizzly 1023, with the extension wing. With a Freud installed (above table changes), and a shopbuilt fence with dust collection, it is the best of both worlds. If I had to give up one of them, it would easily be the stand alone.

On the other hand, I also have an outfeed table behind both the saw and extension, and if I had to choose between the extension wing, and the outfeed table, I would give up the extension wing. So, I guess it depends on your available space and other factors.

If you can afford the space, and afford to have both, then do it! I have found absolutely no drawbacks to the router extension. But, I don't keep a bit in mine, and I use a removable "saddle" fence that drops over my ShopFox TS fence. So, when not in use, the router extension is like having an extra wide TS surface.

Steve Clardy
01-18-2009, 10:27 PM
4 seperate router tables.
I put a router plate in the ext. wing of my tablesaw just for a spare.
I found it in the way far too often so I plugged the hole temporarily.
I can still use it if necessary

Don Jeansonne
01-19-2009, 8:21 PM
Your responses seem to be on target with many others. It seems that floor space really dicates which way to go. All other issues can be dealt with.
Thanks!

Jonathan Spool
01-19-2009, 10:01 PM
I have both, and only use the stand alone for second step work when I need it. The steel router extension on the tablesaw gives me a much larger, true surface, than the stand alone, and I can use a 36" sled on it and still have support for the long boards when cutting dadoes with the router. Also, my LS fence is mounted on phenolic which attaches to the table via two mag switches. I just put it against my beis, lock it down, and the get the beis out of the way. I can also flip the LS around when I want to use it on the saw side. I plan to put a dust box in soon. I'm real happy with the setup as I have more versatility than I've had before, but I'm not ready to get rid of the stand alone router table just yet!

Chip Lindley
01-20-2009, 1:58 AM
I believe its WHAT YOU MAKE WITH IT, rather than WHAT IT'S MADE ON, that counts in woodworking. Many here obsess over just "the right" tool, rather than learning how to produce STUFF that will endure with what they have available!

This stand-alone router table was *state-of-the-art* wayy back in the '70s! Built-in chip collection, and *Green* before it's time, recycling that steel drum!!

Stephen Edwards
01-20-2009, 8:42 AM
I believe its WHAT YOU MAKE WITH IT, rather than WHAT IT'S MADE ON, that counts in woodworking. Many here obsess over just "the right" tool, rather than learning how to produce STUFF that will endure with what they have available!

This stand-alone router table was *state-of-the-art* wayy back in the '70s! Built-in chip collection, and *Green* before it's time, recycling that steel drum!!

Amen, you've hit the nail on the head! It's amazing how a person can make do with what they have.

Darl Bundren
01-20-2009, 8:59 AM

And I'll bet the drum provided juuuust the right harmonics to create a truly remarkable racket!

John Gregory
01-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I had to make room for a drum sander. So last spring I moved my router to my table saw wing. It is rarely in the way, and with the Woodpecker dust collector box the dust collection is great. I love the set up I have now.
Here is a link to the old post
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79000

Don Jeansonne
01-20-2009, 2:41 PM
Sorry if I hit a nerve with you. Thanks for your input.

Shawn Buonarosa
01-20-2009, 6:37 PM
I like having a stand alone router table, this way all my routing equipment/tooling is in one spot.
And you can build the table to suit your own needs, and customize it any way you like.
Also I like to have a specialized router fence, with built in dust collection, split fence, safety guard ,etc. You have to put an auxillary fence on the TS if you need a split fence, then take it off when you need the TS again, just added steps I don't need.
Plus.....router tables are fun to build and they look cool!

Don Jeansonne
01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all these great and relative comments. It is great to have such a source of knowledge and people willing to share.
I am going with the stand alone table and make it usable as an outfeed table for my TS. Later I may still make a TS extension.

Thanks again.

Ed Peters
01-27-2009, 8:13 PM
My stand alone gets most of the activity except the pattern work. That is usually done at the tablesaw. My tablesaw happens to live enclosed in a 6' deep (infeed to outfeed) x 8' wide outfeed island so larger patterns are more easily accomodated.

Ed

Ron Bontz
01-27-2009, 9:42 PM
I have both a table saw extension (MDF) and a free standing. If I need to cut a few dados deep from the front edge I use the extension and saw fence. Otherwise I almost exclusively use the free standing. That being said I may have to get rid of that free standing router table. My Shaper has been beating up on it lately, laughing at it and calling it names for not being as tuff. Darn Bullies. Some tools just can't get along.:D

Don Jeansonne
01-28-2009, 1:14 PM
Ron
How did you attach the MDF top to your TS rails? Did you put recesses to accomodate the nuts from the bolts? Do you have leveling srews, etc.?
Any pictures?

Thanks
Don