PDA

View Full Version : DW735 Blade Changing

Jim Summers
01-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Hello All,

I am starting to look into replacing my old planer. My frontrunner is the DW735. When I have had to replace blades in my old planer, I have to make sure they are in proper alignment. It is not just a simple pull the old ones, slide in the new ones and tighten.

I was wondering, how this is done on a 735? I was hoping that I may be able to flip them around and set them in place and then simply tighten?

TIA

Joe Scharle
01-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Just observe how the blade is in it's current position and when you turn the blade make sure it goes in just like it was. Basic no-brainer!

Dave Sweeney
01-18-2009, 11:20 AM
The knives on the 735 are indexed so that flipping or replacing them is a piece of cake. It might take me a total of 10 minutes maximum to change out all three knives on my 735.

Sonny Edmonds
01-18-2009, 11:22 AM
That's pretty much how it's done.
You open the top with a provided tool and the same tool lets you remove/replace the knives.
Double edged, and you can side shift them about a 1/4" to offset nicks and get back to smooth planing.
For small "lunch box" planers, I think the DW735 wins hands down over the rest of them.
I also have a DW733 I had for years before the DW735. :)

Tom Esh
01-18-2009, 11:54 AM
[quote=Sonny Edmonds;1023570]...Double edged, and you can side shift them about a 1/4" to offset nicks and get back to smooth planing..../quote]

Interesting. I've heard that before, but on mine the fit is tight enough you couldn't shift them a 1/1000th, let alone 1/4". Maybe they changed the design at some point.

Myk Rian
01-18-2009, 11:57 AM
I set my blades right in the middle of the index pins. If I get nicks in them, I'll slide one to the right and another to the left. About 1/16" either way.

Alan DuBoff
01-18-2009, 4:02 PM
Double edged, and you can side shift them about a 1/4" to offset nicks and get back to smooth planing.
For small "lunch box" planers, I think the DW735 wins hands down over the rest of them. I also have a DW733 I had for years before the DW735. :)
Are you sure the blades will shift 1/4"?

I think your mistaken or my blades/DW735 is different.

Sonny Edmonds
01-18-2009, 8:04 PM
I might be mistaken in my guess, Alan. That's why I said "about".
But I know damn good and well mine will side shift to offset a nick from grit or whatever done nicked it. ;) I've done it.
Mine is an early model. So maybe along the line they changed something. But that was a nice plus in my book over the DW733 I still have, side shifting the blades. Can't sharpen them disposables, but I can shift them a touch.
Check your (shudder) manual (shudder). :confused:

Are you sure you have DW735 OEM blades? If not, well you get what you pay for. Turkey burgers are not beef. :)

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-18-2009, 8:30 PM
Turkey burgers are not beef

one of the more obscure comparisons here, IMO... :)

Sonny Edmonds
01-18-2009, 9:45 PM
Turkey burger, in no way tastes like beef. :p
Buy a turkey aftermarket blade, it might work.
But it isn't going to work like beef OEM.
Or maybe they did change something along the way.

(I hate it when the wife thinks she's pulling a fast one over on me. I'll eat one helping of turkey, but more if it's beef.) :D

Putting this to bed.... (and shoveling the bull for the last time..)
See how the holes are elongated in this picture? Those allow side shift of the blade to off-set for a nick. ;)
(Picture courtesy of Dewalt's site.Thank You Dewalt!)

(http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/popup_prod_detail.asp?productID=5935)

Alan DuBoff
01-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Turkey burger, in no way tastes like beef. :p
Buy a turkey aftermarket blade, it might work.
But it isn't going to work like beef OEM.
Quite the contrary...the Infinity High Speed Steel blades are better and last longer than the OEM. I see they have carbide tipped knives for the 735, but for $250/set I would say the Shelix head would look more attractive. Still the HSS blades at $60/set are worth it.

Actually, I bought a Parks 12" planer, uses stock planer blades that I can sharpen myself, and is quieter. It will replace my 735 when I get a starter/switch for it. I bought because I am such a pansy, the noise of the 735 bothers me. :o