PDA

View Full Version : Bosch PS50 Multi-X, don't hear much about them.

Bill Huber
01-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't see or here much about the Bosch PS50, is there something wrong with them or what???

I had some Amazon discounts so I bought one and from what I have seen so far I really like. I got the PS50-2B which has all the stuff with it and it was only $160 after all the Amazon stuff. I guess if I was to do it again I would get it the PS50-2A with just has the sanding pad an one blade.

I have been very impressed with the way it sands, that is the main thing I got it for and it really works great, gets into those little places very easy.

I had a little Ryobi 3 corner detail sander given to me and it is only good for doing your finger nails I think. It just does not sand worth a crap and I was worried the Bosch was the same way. Its not and it sands like a champ.

To change to a blade, you just use and allen wrench, take the allen screw out and remove the sanding pad, put the blade on, put the allen screw back in and that's it.

The blade that I did use worked well and cut what I needed but there are many ways I could have made the cut I did. So I guess for normal woodworking the sander is the best part to me.

Overall the price is a little high for just a sander but then again it is really nice to be able to get into those tight spots and sand them out as fast as this does.

I am sure over the years I will find more things to use it for but at this point the sanding pad is on and that's what it will get used for.

Jason Perrott
01-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I have been reading about and looking at several brands of this tool. I do quite a bit of remodeling and think a tool like this would find many uses. The one problem I have with the bosch is the fact that it is battery powered. I probably will need it to run longer than 8 minutes at a time. ( I read this was the run time by another testing).
So I found the Rockwell version of this tool, for 179$ you get the entire setup, tons of blades, ect. , BUT, you can only order the blades and accessories from them online (as far as I can tell). And I dont know enough about the company to send them my money yet. I have read solid reviews of this tool, heavy construction, ect.
So cruising the net I find one of these types of tools at Harbour Freight, for 59$. I never buy anything from HF that has a motor as a rule of thumb, but this might get a chance in my tool cache. Might fit the bill for awhile while the economy gets moving again, then I will know if I should go for a better version of the tool.
Looking for any other opinions and if someone has the HF version, is it a 60$ anchor?

tia
Jason

M. A. Espinoza
01-18-2009, 1:31 PM
I have been reading about and looking at several brands of this tool. I do quite a bit of remodeling and think a tool like this would find many uses. The one problem I have with the bosch is the fact that it is battery powered. I probably will need it to run longer than 8 minutes at a time. ( I read this was the run time by another testing).
So I found the Rockwell version of this tool, for 179$ you get the entire setup, tons of blades, ect. , BUT, you can only order the blades and accessories from them online (as far as I can tell). And I dont know enough about the company to send them my money yet. I have read solid reviews of this tool, heavy construction, ect.
So cruising the net I find one of these types of tools at Harbour Freight, for 59$. I never buy anything from HF that has a motor as a rule of thumb, but this might get a chance in my tool cache. Might fit the bill for awhile while the economy gets moving again, then I will know if I should go for a better version of the tool.
Looking for any other opinions and if someone has the HF version, is it a 60$ anchor?tia
Jason

Jason,

There is still a HF in Portland, right? Try calling to see if they have one in stock. I know its taking a chance that they even know or have their computer up to date, but its a start.

Might check if there is a coupon floating around on the web sometimes they are worth 20 percent off; even less risky.

Remember you do have 30 days to decide if its a POS and take it back.

I generally avoid things with motors from Harbor Freight but I do have a grinder and a buffer that might have cost $40 combined that have worked fine. And the $20 Sawzall clone has been worth ten times the price, especially metal cutting. I don't like the idea of disposable tools but there are those once-in-a-blue moon items that I just can't see buying the professional version.

But even if the motor works count on getting better cutters, those are guaranteed to be made from compressed slag as far as I've experienced.

Mikail Khan
01-18-2009, 1:35 PM
Bill,

How long do the batteries last while sanding?

MK

Bill Huber
01-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Bill,

How long do the batteries last while sanding?

MK

I can't really say, I have never had a problem with not having a charged battery. The unit shuts down when the battery is to low to run it and I just but the one from the charger in and keep going.

The areas that you are sanding with the little sander are not that big, they are the little areas that you use it for so you are not sanding for a long long time.