PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 735

Luther Oswalt
01-18-2009, 10:32 AM
I was in Home Depot yesterday and ran across a DW 735 in the orginal box which had never been openned for $546 ... the lowest price I have seen except on Amazon (about $20.00 more). It is now in the shop and yes it had never been used or the box opened. The Tools Guy said it was a 08 mdl and 09s were coming in so the price was dropped to move this last one out .... I don't know of any changes in 09s over the 08s.
Leo

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Nice grab! I also have not read of any differences except in pricing - most places are trying to bump the price of it to $649 or so.

Be prepared for the noise - it is LOUD. But it's a nice unit.

Scott Vigder
01-18-2009, 10:46 AM
It's a great planer. I bought a new one in '05 at Hartville Tool during their annual Tool Days sale. Picked it up for $465 and got the mobile stand for free. Ka-Ching! :D

You will need to spring for the supplemental infeed and outfeed tables. They are very well engineered and a snap to install and adjust. They are a must for planing boards over three-four feet long.

After thousands of bf, the unit began clogging last summer:(. We took it to our local DeWalt service center, they couldn't figure out the problem, and the regional DeWalt Rep finally replaced it with a brand new unit:eek:.

Now I have a brand new 735 purring like a kitten:D, or as stated above, it is pretty loud so maybe purring like a locomotive.

Sonny Edmonds
01-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Oh come-on you pansies! :D
All planers are loud to some extent. They chop a lot of air and wood in operation. It's the nature of the beast. :p
__________________________________________________ ______
Mount it on a stand or bench. The booger weighs a hefty 87 pounds out of the box. :(
Mines on a collapsible stand and is still a bear to set up. But those baby butt smooth boards are sooo nice! ;)

Jeff Bratt
01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Ideas for in-out feed tables, a stand, and chip collection... http://home.roadrunner.com/~jeffnann/WoodWorking/Shop/Shop.html#Planer_Stand_

Luther Oswalt
01-18-2009, 2:09 PM
Jeff - Thanks ... Nice stand, infact, all your setup is nice and I think I may follow your lead!
Once again thanks
Leo

Steve H Graham
01-18-2009, 6:30 PM
I got a recon shipped for $465, and I'm sure they're still available. Recon, mind you. Not new.

John Callahan
01-18-2009, 6:40 PM
All planers are loud to some extent.

At 100+dB the noise from a 735 will raise the dead :eek:- louder than any benchtop I've ever heard. At 83dB my Mak 2012NB seems positively quiet in comparison. Not an issue for the operator with hearing protection but in some places your neighbor may not like it.

Randy Carnley
01-18-2009, 7:00 PM
Lowes in Macon, GA has this unit for $499 on a regular basis. I bought one on-line about a year ago and absolutely love it for its size and power.

Jason Hanko
01-18-2009, 8:28 PM
I got a recon shipped for $465, and I'm sure they're still available. Recon, mind you. Not new.
Got my recon unit for $430 - 10% Ebay coupon - 30% MS Cash Back = $270 shipped. :D:D:D
I love it, and yes it is loud but I guess I was expecting that.

Alan DuBoff
01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
At 100+dB the noise from a 735 will raise the dead :eek:- louder than any benchtop I've ever heard.
I use mine to chase the worms to the neighbors lawn...when I turn it on there is no wildlife for 2 blocks around.

The only way to operate one of these is with hearing protection, call me a pansy if you like. I'd rather be a pansy with hearing than Mr. Macho without hearing.;)

John Callahan
01-19-2009, 11:44 AM
I'd rather be a pansy with hearing than Mr. Macho without hearing.;)
............+1 At 55+ I don't feel quite so immortal as I did as a youth. Still have most of my hearing and all of my digits and it would be nice to attribute that to great skill but I'm old enough to realize it was more luck than anything else and the reason why the earplugs, safety glasses, pushsticks etc etc come out these days.

Steve H Graham
01-19-2009, 6:18 PM
Well...you suck.

Dan McCallum
01-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with the comment " All planers are loud to some extent".

I have a 12" Parks planer from the 50's that is so quiet I can carry on a conversation while it is planing cherry.

I think a more accurate comment would be "All modern import planers with universal motors are loud"!

Dan

Alan DuBoff
01-20-2009, 12:04 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with the comment " All planers are loud to some extent".

I have a 12" Parks planer from the 50's that is so quiet I can carry on a conversation while it is planing cherry.
Oh my...all the more reason I should spend a little time getting mine going so I don't need to listen to the DW735. I have a couple friends that have Parks Planers, they are nice for the size.

The one thing that has been slowing me down is the belt cover. I do look forward to replacing the DW735, but will keep it. Mainly because it is portable, in a vague sense, much more so than the Parks. ;)

I think a more accurate comment would be "All modern import planers with universal motors are loud"!
I don't know about all, but I know the DW735 for certain. It along with my DW708, those are the two loudest machines in my shop.

I'm not buying any more of those loud motor type machines, companies should not be allowed to sell tools with noise levels as high as the DW735. My $0.02. Good reason to buy other makers.

The DW735 does chew through blades...let's not forget that also. Is there any other planer that eats blades faster? The blades are only 1/16" thick, that is the real problem. If the blades were 1/8" like most all blades, it wouldn't be a problem. The DW735 eats blades like there's no tomorrow.

I need to get my Parks going...

Ken Baker
01-21-2009, 2:09 PM
The Home Depot's in Southern California have them marked down to $469. The one nearest my house sold out and now there isn't even a slot for them, another one moved it to the front of the store in the clearance section. A guy at Lowe's said Home Depot is not gone carry the Dewalt anymore and Lowe's will be the big distributor.