PDA

View Full Version : Turning air

Brian Brown
01-18-2009, 9:39 AM
So last night I tried turning a natural edge piece that had one side longer than the other. This left me turning about 75% air as the piece went around. A bit nerve wracking, and a lot of chatter, but it seemed to work. It left some extra sanding to do though. My questions are: is there a special technique to get a good finish with out the chatter? What tool is best (interior and exterior)? Is there a better angle of attack? And how do you sand for the best results without losing an appendage? I like the look of these pieces, but would like to find an easier way to cut them.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Brian...when I have turned situations like that....The final cuts....with a newly sharpened tool......extremely light cuts......sneak up on it. Sometimes I turned 100% air as I slowly approached until the cutting edge was engaged. Extremely light cuts...sharp edge.

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Have to agree with Ken! Sharp tools and very light cuts!

Brodie Brickey
01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
As above, Sharp Tools and Light cuts.

Also, plan out your piece and get your wings to finish thickness first before turning the center mass away. If you do it this way, the outside wings don't chatter or flex as much and you get a smoother finish.

Gordon Seto
01-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Another factors are:
Leave the mass in the middle as long as possible. Thin out the edge to final thickness in increments. You may not be able to go back to the outside edge once you have turned down the next section.
Larger tool with more steel (less flute length) would allow you to stick out beyond tool rest with less chattering.
Turn up the speed with caution within your safety zone. Advance your tool slower. Faster speed, shorter air time; less chance your tool would advance when you are cutting air (tool has no resistance).
The usual tool rest close, use the tail stock etc.

Allen Neighbors
01-18-2009, 1:45 PM
And one more thing: Hand sand the "wings", because if you sand while it's spinning, you'll end up with the leading edge of the wing thinner then the trailing edge.

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2009, 2:36 PM
Brodie and Gordon hit the nail on the head. Do the wings first and get them to finial thickness before removing the mass in the middle. That will cut your chatter way down.

bob edwards
01-18-2009, 4:37 PM
All of the suggestions made so far are great. I would add one you may not have considered, lath speed. To exaggerate the point, if you would slow the lathe way down and present the tool to a piece that was 50% air, twice during each rotation the tool would have no support other than the tool rest and your hip. Without the bevel the tool would fall forward forward ever so slightly. Then when the wood comes back around the tool is no longer in the same position as before. The faster the piece is going around ( with-in reason)the less time the tool has to fall into the open space.
I have never given a demo where someone didn't ask what speed I was using. My answer is always "I haven't a clue" The answer has to be whatever feels right or comfortable. So increase the speed to the highest point you are comfortable with and the chatter will decrease accordingly.