PDA

View Full Version : One sick dog!

Robert Parrish
01-18-2009, 9:39 AM
Here is a photo of our Dachshund Calvin undergoing holistic acupuncture for a neck problem. After several of these treatments the vet decided he needed surgery. He was operated on last Wed for a herniated disc and is now home recovering. We rescued Calvin about a year ago.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-18-2009, 9:51 AM
Good luck with is recovery!

rescued not once but maybe twice by you - he's a lucky dog :)

Robert Parrish
01-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks John, we lost our Rottie last summer to Hodgkin disease. She was only 7. Calvin is recovering in the Rottie's cage. Keeping him in the cage 24/7 for two weeks is going to be a job!

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Oh my - that's too young for a Rottie. We had 2 (in my Avatar - Rudy and Chase) - one lived till 10, and had to be put down due to bone cancer. Our other one lived till 12, and had Cushing's disease which finally got the best of her.

Good luck with Calvin.

Jim Becker
01-18-2009, 10:24 AM
For a second there, I though this was the Battlestar Galactia thread when I saw that picture! LOL

Seriously, I hope your little fellow is on the mend and that the surgery brings the intended relief.

Rob Young
01-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Best wishes for the little turd-factory! We had a few dachunds and dachund-mixes when I was a kid. One was half dachund, half chihuahua (dachihuaha?). Always looked like he was going down hill because his hind quarters were chihuahua like. He lived to be about 17. Pretty much had the run of the neighborhood all his life (found out years later that he made the rounds to the neighbors and got scraps because he kept the rabbits out of their gardens), leash law wasn't enforced. Living on the edge of town, wheat fields just a block away, he got to live out his hunter heritige. Pretty darn good at pulling rabbits and other critters from their holes. :) Just leave them by the back door and go back out for more. Sometimes snakes and only once a skunk...

Even near-blind and deaf he still wanted to be let outside. Car hit him at night, about a 3/4 mile from the house. He came home, died the next morning.

David G Baker
01-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Robert,
Good luck on your pooch. We sure get attached to our critters, they provide such a rewarding life for us and entertainment that we couldn't buy anywhere.
Rob,
I found a modest cure for cutting back on the turd factories plopping their weight in dodo on your lawn every week. I had a German Short Hair that would bless us with tremendous deposits on our lawn daily. We put him on a prescription diet provided by the vet. It was expensive up front but he ate half as much food so over time the cost ended up about the same as store bought chow, the vet bills disappeared and his lawn deposits cut by at least 50% or more.

Lori Kleinberg
01-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your little pooch. These animals can put you through hell.
I have a 6lb chihuahua, with a ($1000) pin in one knee and a close watch on the other. She has a bad back so I never
leave home without pain meds for her. And of course do to these problems her weight has to be watched very carefully.
Oh did I mention that she is a paranoid, skitzo chihuahua :eek:.

Gary Herrmann
01-18-2009, 1:36 PM
Good luck on your pup's recovery. My labs and I are pulling for him.

Hmm. My first dog's name was Hobbes... He's long gone, unfortunately. He may have been the smartest I've ever had.

Dewey Torres
01-18-2009, 1:41 PM
I am also a dog lover... hope all goes well!

Steven DeMars
01-18-2009, 2:04 PM
Wish your little buddy well . . . . dogs are so much better "people" than most people . . . they deserve the best . . . 9 out of 10 dogs are willing to die to protect their master . . . . how many people can you honestly say that for . . .

Good luck for your lil buddy . . .
Steve:)

Thomas Bank
01-18-2009, 3:42 PM
Best of luck for a good recovery for the little fella.

Have to ask though, is he sedated in that picture? My old lab was one of the gentlest, most patient dogs around and he would have been like "Ok, I am out of here!!" if you tried anything close to that with him!

Robert Parrish
01-18-2009, 3:52 PM
Thomas, yes he is sedated but not totally out of it. This procedure has a good success rate but he had too much damage to his neck so they did a fusion. I can feel his pain because I've had several back surgeries myself.

Sonny Edmonds
01-18-2009, 4:08 PM
Aww, poor Calvin!
But lucky Calvin that he has you to love and care for him!
We have two rescued pups here with us. One loves to sit and lay on the end of the L of my desk where he can keep me company and look out a window to the street and be our "watch dog".
As for being turd factories, I'll gladly pick up after them for all the love and companionship they give so freely to us. And they are better than any security system.
And as for turds, you put crap in, you'll get crap out. You feed them good food and they put out less and a better quality of crap.
Dogs are faithful to the death, defending their home and their pack leaders, us.
Here's something fun to think about:

Dog Poop

Ever think about your dog,

While shoveling up the poop,

And take a moment to think,

Of what it means to you?

It means you have a companion,

Who’s unconditional Love,

Will always be there for you,

No matter when or what,

For every piece you shovel,

And put in a barrel or pot,

Think of all the times they warned you,

Or came to you with Love,

They’ll literally die for you,

Defending to their death,

Just because they Love you,

And you lead their life’s pack,

And even if you go away,

On a trip so very far,

Although they are so very lonesome,

They forgive you right away,

Nope, I don’t mind the shoveling,

The flies, or stench, or chore,

Because I think of all the wonder and love,

Those shining eyes do hold.

Sonny

12/13/03

I Love My Dogs!

Larry Bratton
01-18-2009, 4:18 PM
Thomas, yes he is sedated but not totally out of it. This procedure has a good success rate but he had too much damage to his neck so they did a fusion. I can feel his pain because I've had several back surgeries myself.
Robert..do you have doggie health care insurance? If not, I can imagine that vet bill?

I had a red standard size dachshund once, he was a holy terror, fighter. Once saw him whip a german Shepard and two english setters all in the same fight. He would lie on his back and when the bigger dogs came for him he would go for their throats. Those dogs were originally bred to dig badgers out of their dens in Germany. I believe dachshund translates to "badger dog". He didn't tolerate cats very well either.

He was eventually killed by a gunshot from an unknown source. My assumption was that he finally pushed his luck too far.

Anyway, best of luck on his recovery.

Robert Parrish
01-18-2009, 4:50 PM
Very nice Sonny! You know that a dog is the only true love that money can buy!

Sonny Edmonds
01-18-2009, 7:18 PM
Thanks, Robert!
We didn't "buy" any of our furry little Friends. They found us. But we unconditionally pay for their needs when they have any.

Our little Female (Now standing at around $1700.00) came from a breeder in Oregon that was holding her for a breeding female for her lines. But her Grandma developed cataracts, so Debbie stopped that line. She is a very reputable breeder and if any sign of genetic trouble shows in any way, she stops that line development.
I had helped and taught my baby Sis to build a web site with the breeder. She had our little girl, 4 months old, and offered to give her to us. Perfect timing! We were talking about getting a watch dog. She is clairvoyant, she knows when somebody is coming fully 20-30 seconds before they arrive.

Big Sam (got fixed @ $49 a ball, so 98 dollars in all) came as a rescue from the local dog pound. He was dropped off at 1 year old and the bastages said to euthanize him. The sister to the prior owners found out, rescued him, and ran an ad. We happened to be thinking about a second, as a companion for our little girl. Sam is about 50 pounds.
It took him two years to accept me. But I won him over with love and kindness eventually. He was horribly abused with flashlights, hoses, and cords, in a garage, by the boyfriend of the house. I learned all this by his actions and his fears.
I've always maintained that if I ever found him (this lowlife POS), that I'd beat him with a baseball bat for Sam. Twice, if I had the time! :mad:

Speedy found me. He was a starving puppy that wondered in where I was working late one day to get a station back online. He wondered in so we tag lined him at the gate where we could watch him and hoped somebody would come looking for him. He had a collar and a tag with a phone number. The scum sucker on the phone said, "I gave heem to heem, and I doun wanna see heem again!" and slammed the phone down.
Now, what could a puppy do to deserve being starved and eventually dumped onto busy city streets? :confused: :(
I brought him home and he came back from two attempts to find him a home. So he is officially Chase's dog that lives at Grandma's house. A really wonderful sweet guy that just wants to be with us any where at any time. He love's to bark at any birds that get near the boat when we go fishin or playin.

Once a part of the family, they get the same respect and care as anybody else in the Family. And they return the kindness in unconditional love.
My dogs are worth more to me than about all people. ;)
Speedy, Pudgy, and Pudgy and Sam on the boat. (Sam is very camera shy) :)

Robert Parrish
01-18-2009, 8:45 PM
Nice looking family Sonny.

Belinda Barfield
01-19-2009, 4:28 PM
Robert, I hope Calvin is on the mend soon. Consider this his personal invitation to come up to Savannah in October for the Weiner Dog Races. He can watch and cheer from the sidelines if he doesn't feel up to racing.
The four rescue cats and I will be rooting for his speedy recovery. Two of the rescues live at the shop, and two with me. My two go to work with me every day. The youngest is a foundling that came to me back in May. She's just a sweetie. Rescued animals can take some time and patience, but are definitely worth it.

I'm really a dog person, but my condo is too small for dogs. Of course, I guess I should tell that to my neighbor who lives with two Irish Wolfhounds in 1200 sq ft. :rolleyes:

Robert Parrish
01-19-2009, 4:51 PM
Thanks for the invite Belinda! Calvin is currently driving me crazy wanting out of his cage but the vet said 24/7 for two weeks. He is a world champion gecko hunter!

Sonny Edmonds
01-19-2009, 7:51 PM
"He is a world champion gecko hunter!"

LOL! :D I can fully understand!
We have two "bug hunters". :D

Joseph Peacock
01-19-2009, 8:48 PM
poor dog.... i hope he get's well soon.

Al Willits
01-20-2009, 7:17 PM
When we found out our latest dog had Addison's disease the vet said treatments may get expensive, and did we have a limit....

I asked if he took payments.

Luckily we manage to keep up with her treatments and she has been a great pet, I hope your dog recovers soon and can be the same to you.

Good luck

Al

Brian Kent
01-20-2009, 11:37 PM
At first, I didn't want to show him, but he said he wanted to see.

Jasper (our rescue dachsund/chihuahua pup) said he would lift with his knees, not his back, never crawl into something smaller than his head, and he hopes that Calvin gets better real fast.

Brian

Robert Parrish
01-21-2009, 7:54 AM
Calvin thanks Jaspers! That is so sweet. Calvin is recovering nicely and becoming very vocal about being in his cage 24/7 when his brothers are free to move about.

Jerry Olexa
01-21-2009, 8:08 PM
You are a good master to that lucky dog:):)