PDA

View Full Version : Ike's Elm-A Blue Ribbon Bowl

Tom Hamilton
01-17-2009, 9:57 PM
Greetings Creekers:

At the Gulf Coast Woodturner's club (Houston) meeting today the first place ribbon in the advanced category ended up in my piece!

This was an elm blank Rich Souchek, a fellow Creeker, cut after Ike. We ran into each other at Woodcraft and he offered me a piece of elm. My wife had recently commented that all my bowls were "sorta the same shape", a reasonable observation, so I decided to try something different.

Armed with a Raffin book where he describes using patterns when he first started turning, I made some patterns from his examples and turned this ogee curve bowl.

The green wood has moved some so I'm stuck with the shape.

FYI, I power sanded to 400, and then used micro-mesh on the bare wood. A coat of BLO and six coats of home-made wipe on followed. (50% poly-50% Mineral Spirits applied with a piece of tee shirt.) I used the top four grits of micro-mesh on the last coat, on the lathe at 1500 rpm. The surface is glass smooth.

I would make the base a tad taller next time and I think the top curve could come in just a little bit. But overall, I'm very pleased with the result of a new shape. And so is my wife! And a blue ribbon to top it off.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, ready to try another one of these.

Bill Bolen
01-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Beautiful work on a beautiful piece of Elm. Congrats on the Blue Ribbon!...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Congrats on getting first place! Very nice bowl! Good looking wood and I really like the rim on this one! Very different!

David Christopher
01-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Tom, beautiful bowl, love the color and shape......congrats on the blue ribbon

Ken Fitzgerald
01-18-2009, 1:08 AM
Tom,

Very interesting bowl! The finish and the form are great. The wood is fabulous. Congrats on the blue ribbon.

Dewey Torres
01-18-2009, 2:42 AM
Way to go TOM!

Jim Kountz
01-18-2009, 9:20 AM
I like the rim alot, nice job and congrats!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Congrats on the award and a great looking bowl. I do like the form on it.

Steve Mawson
01-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Looks like a winner to me as well.

Toney Robertson
01-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Congratulations.

It is always nice to have your work recognized by others especially strangers.

Toney

Alan Huey
01-20-2009, 1:21 AM
Tom, really nice. I like the different shape. I must have been fun to turn. Love the figure in the wood!

I seem to have the same problem. All of my bowls come out looking like.....well.....bowls.

Congratulations on the award. Still looking for a club in the Monterey area!..