PDA

View Full Version : Is this a deal on a Powermatic?

Will Hon
01-17-2009, 8:44 PM
Probably the wrong forum, if so sorry, but I have bee looking into getting a TS. I'm a hobbyist and I want to get a quality TS on a budget. This Powermatic has been listed on my local CL for awhile, how is the price? I may be able to talk him down a bit b/c of the amount of time its been on. (What it worth??) I'm new to purchasing used equipment, what kind of questions should I ask and/or look for. And what about the TS surface, i've never used one like that. It looks a little beat up, or is that just the picture?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/988201960.html

Thanks in advance.

Will

Tom Young
01-17-2009, 9:01 PM
Will, This saw is overpriced. You can get a new Powermatic 54A for around $1000.00. Amazon has one listed here http://www.amazon.com/Powermatic-1791227K-Horsepower-Contractor-Accu-Fence/dp/B00005OQM5/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1232243692&sr=8-4

Tom

Tom Majewski
01-17-2009, 9:25 PM
I dont think it's a bad price. Here's one similar I found on another listing.

http://reno.craigslist.org/tls/995500832.html

another PM:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/987979827.html

Go see the saw. If all the cranks are smooth, and the top looks like it will clean up with steel wool and wd40, offer him 300.

Dan Friedrichs
01-17-2009, 9:35 PM
Looks rusty on one side.

Go look at it - as someone else said, if it looks like it will clean up easily, it may be worth something. I'd say $250 (if it will clean up easily).

Personally, I think the seller might be a little crazy to suggest that the used 25" fence would be worth $200....

Another point to consider: that fence is rather short. Most people use a TS with a 32" or 50" (or even longer) fence.

I think you could find better....

Tom Majewski
01-17-2009, 9:41 PM
Strange though...
That fence looks bigger than 25". I wonder if he mistyped the listing.

Will Hon
01-17-2009, 9:48 PM
Thanks for the help, I am most worried that the top is particularly rusty and the fence is a bit short. Someone else on my local CL has a grizzly contractor saw ($200) and an unused 6" rigid jointer for saw ($300) that i'm very interested in, along with a couple big woodmaster planers, but they dont have a way to take pics and I am awaiting exact model #'s.... He says the TS needs an on/off switch, how hard would that be to add?

Tom Majewski
01-17-2009, 9:59 PM
Replacing the on/off switch is a 10 minute job.

My first saw I rebuilt used a $1 wall switch. Dangerous but worked.

Get a switch like this:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=17401&TabSelect=Details

Grizzly will sell you one also.

I have an old Grizzly saw. After I cleaned and tuned it, it works great. Added a Shop Fox fence I got on craigslist.
If you go for the Griz, I have the complete factory fence- yours for free if you need parts. just pay shipping.

Will Hon
01-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks Tom, i will keep in contact with you as I learn more about the Grizzly. Everything is a little foggy with the seller.

Paul Johnstone
01-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the help, I am most worried that the top is particularly rusty and the fence is a bit short. Someone else on my local CL has a grizzly contractor saw ($200) and an unused 6" rigid jointer for saw ($300) that i'm very interested in, along with a couple big woodmaster planers, but they dont have a way to take pics and I am awaiting exact model #'s.... He says the TS needs an on/off switch, how hard would that be to add?

It is easy to replace the on and off switch.

Really, for a good deal on Craigs' list, it is best to drive down and look at it. If you can't take it home immediately, leave a deposit to hold it.

By making the guy send you pictures, etc., there's a good chance he will sell it to someone else before you make up your mind.

A contractor's saw for $200 is a pretty darn good deal if it's in good shape.

Steve Roxberg
01-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Will,

Welcome to the Creek. I also live in the Kansas City area and have seen that saw listed. I've seen many good tools on Craigs list lately so patience will pay off.

I'd condider $300 for that saw, but not a lot more.

The Woodmaster 718 planner is a little overpriced at $6,000.

Are you aware of the upcoming woodworking show in February, Overland Tool will also be having a sale. Annually on that Saturday many woodworkers also meet for breakfast.

Steve

Will Hon
01-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Will,

Welcome to the Creek. I also live in the Kansas City area and have seen that saw listed. I've seen many good tools on Craigs list lately so patience will pay off.

I'd condider $300 for that saw, but not a lot more.

Are you aware of the upcoming woodworking show in February, Overland Tool will also be having a sale. Annually on that Saturday many woodworkers also meet for breakfast.

Steve

I was not aware of the February show? do explain :)

oh, and when will Overland Tool be having a sale... big one??

Mark Berenbrok
01-18-2009, 4:44 AM
It looks like a Powermatic Artisians saw (model 64?). I had one that was purchased new in the late 80s and it was a great first saw. The fence was dead-on accurate. The motor drew a lot of amps on start-up and would occasionally trip the breaker. I got in the habit of taking tension off the belt and it wasn't a big issue. If everything works and it doesn't look abused, offer him $250 and go from there.

Neal Clayton
01-18-2009, 6:38 AM

a little?

i bought everything new from woodmaster for mine and don't have 6k in it.

price of the machine and another 1000 for the shelix head, a couple hundred for the router platform iirc. what else is there?

scott spencer
01-18-2009, 7:30 AM
$350 seems reasonable if it runs well, but because it needs a lot of elbow grease I'd be inclined to offer $275 to $300. The Vega fence is very nice. The open grate wings aren't my cup of tea but they're better than steel, and can be upgraded to solid CI if you'd like. That saw should be able to do anything you're likely to encounter. Ask about things like inserts, extra blades, jigs, etc.

Bob Aquino
01-18-2009, 7:52 AM
Its a fair price for that saw. Vega fence is about 250 new. Rust on the top will clean up very easy. If its an American made saw all the better. The new ones are Taiwanese. If it has been sitting up on CL for a while then you have your bargaining chip. I would think you could get him down to 300 easy, maybe 250 then it would be a no brainer. Run the saw, see how well the elevation and tilt work, check out the condition of the motor and belts. Go with cash in hand. Sellers dont want to hold up a sale waiting on somebody to get their finances in order.

Steve Roxberg
01-18-2009, 8:50 AM
a little?

i bought everything new from woodmaster for mine and don't have 6k in it.

price of the machine and another 1000 for the shelix head, a couple hundred for the router platform iirc. what else is there?

He claims there was over 10,000 in cutters with it. I don't know how much cutters cost, but I'd think 10,000 in cutters would be quite a few.

Seems like he did molding for a living, so the machine has probably been used pretty hard.

The ad listed it at $6 so I call hoping that he meant $600 only to find out that no, $6,000 is a fair price. :rolleyes:

Steve Roxberg
01-18-2009, 8:52 AM
Will,

The show information can be found at www.thewoodworkingshows.com (http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com)

Overland Tool usually has a big sale that same weekend, free food, lots of vendors, and special pricing.

Sometimes the Local Woodcraft also has some specials.

Keep your eye out here, you should see some information about a Saturday breakfast.

Will Hon
01-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Will,

The show information can be found at www.thewoodworkingshows.com (http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/)

Overland Tool usually has a big sale that same weekend, free food, lots of vendors, and special pricing.

Sometimes the Local Woodcraft also has some specials.

Keep your eye out here, you should see some information about a Saturday breakfast.

Thanks Steve

Steve H Graham
01-18-2009, 6:34 PM
I wouldn't get too excited about that saw. It looks like a good deal, but there are a lot of surprising TS deals on Craig's List these days, with all the small shops going out of business. The deal you're looking at isn't so good I'd be afraid to pass it up while waiting for something better.