PDA

View Full Version : 1960's Rockwell lathe question

Bill Mitchel
01-17-2009, 8:04 PM
I just bought an old Rockwell lathe and need to replace the switch. It's a 46-525 with a 1 1/2 hp and runs on 110. I pulled the old switch and the are 5 wires. Black, white, red, orange, and green. It was a switch that I haven't seen before. They had the red and orange on 1 side and the white and black on the other (not hooked together but on different post) My new switch has 2 black and 2 white connections. Anyone know how I should hook these up.:confused:

Thanks
Bill

Joe Mioux
01-17-2009, 8:24 PM
Bill, this place likes pictures!

Post a pic, or else the pic police will fine you.

joe

btw: what part of stl?

Dan Oliphant
01-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Bill, it is really the motor that is important here, take a look at the ID plate and look for a posible wiring diagram. On some motors/switches wires will be common(redundent).

Bill Mitchel
01-18-2009, 2:58 PM
Dan

I am having a hard time posting pics but the diagram lables the wires as T1, T2, etc... I guess I need to take the motor out, the wires lead into the backside. Never spent this much time on a switch.

Joe - I'm in Webster Groves right at 44 and Elm. I've been to Carlyle a few times, nice town.

Bill

Jim Koepke
01-18-2009, 3:28 PM
If the old switch is in the wiring diagram, it shouldn't be hard to figure if it was switching both sides of the line or if it is doing something else.

Not knowing the lathe, I can not tell. Different things would make for different answers. If it is 220V, then it may be switching two sides of the line in.

If there is a number on the old switch and a manufacture's name, these things could be researched.

I used to be an electro-mechanical technician, so a lot of these things are easy to figure out with enough information.

jim

Frank Townend
01-18-2009, 4:03 PM
See if this post is of value:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.woodworking/2005-12/msg02858.html