PDA

View Full Version : Orbital sanders verse half sheet sanders

Craig D Peltier
01-17-2009, 7:38 PM
I think I have read somewhere more than once that Orbital sanders leave less scratches than a 1/2 sheet sander? Has anyone else read this? Or had first hand test experience.

Im thinking of this in the way of putting a finish on afterwards.

Chip Lindley
01-18-2009, 1:23 AM
If you are referring to a ROS (random orbital sander) there is no comparison with a 1/2 sheet sander. Even with 100 grit, a ROS leaves virtually no discernible scratches. A 1/2S will leave very evident swirl marks.

Of course, the older vibrating sanders do have their uses, such as sanding into corners or edges that a ROS cannot reach, or would damage! The only use I have for a 1/4 sheet palm sander these days is to sand the reveals of raised panels which cannot be done with a ROS.

If you are buying, get a ROS! It does more in a shorter time than any 1/2 or 1/4 sheet sander. Try it! You'll Like It!

Craig D Peltier
01-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks thats what I thought too.
I have to ROS and a black an decker mouse sheet sander.I used to use it all the time before the ROS. Now its been collecting dust.

Rob Cunningham
01-18-2009, 7:59 PM
I have a ROS and a 1/2 sheet sander. I use them both depending on what I'm sanding. For larger surfaces such as table tops or cabinet sides, I use the ROS. For narrow parts like rails and stiles or face-frames I prefer the sheet sander. I find it difficult to keep the ROS flat on narrow parts. I don't notice any swirl marks from the sheet sander. It's a Bosch 1293 which has an orbital motion.