PDA

View Full Version : Granite vs Marble

Ross Lowry
01-17-2009, 7:24 PM
My experience, which is limited, has been that marble will engrave at a brighter white then granite.
Have any of you guys had this experience?

Frank Corker
01-17-2009, 7:39 PM
My experience, which is limited, has been that marble will engrave at a brighter white then granite.
Have any of you guys had this experience?

Yes it does engrave whiter. Granite comes out more light grey than white. This is why so many go for the rubbing all over with paint, personally I prefer it to be natural and paint free, but it is personal preference.

Ross Lowry
01-17-2009, 8:05 PM
I wounder if a person could rub car wax on the granite after engraving it. Then rub the surface and after it turns white and maybe the engraved area will turn whiter?

Ross Lowry
01-17-2009, 9:35 PM
Update on the waxing idea.
This did help make it a lot whiter.
I used Mothers Carnuba wax and rub it in thick and good.
After it dried to a nice white I took and squeegeed the wax off the surface only leaving what was left in the engraving.

Dee Gallo
01-17-2009, 9:39 PM
Interesting concept, Ross. That's a great way to make use of what used to be annoying - that white haze. I'm going to try it too, thanks!

ps- that's a VERY cute picture, Frank

Ross Lowry
01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Here is a picture of a piece of granite that both boxes was engraved at the same speed, but the one on the right was waxed and the other wasn't.
Sorry about it being blurred.

Frank Corker
01-17-2009, 10:41 PM
ps- that's a VERY cute picture, Frank

Thanks Dee - me 48 years ago, still as cute but with a little less hair!

onur cakir
01-18-2009, 4:18 AM
I was looking for a protection solution for engraved areas on marble&granite too.

Thanks for the idea

Here is a picture of a piece of granite that both boxes was engraved at the same speed, but the one on the right was waxed and the other wasn't.
Sorry about it being blurred.

Andrey Anfimov
01-18-2009, 5:23 AM
I was looking for a protection solution for engraved areas on marble&granite too.

Thanks for the idea

I have tried to cover marble with very thin layer of clear silicon hermetic, then I remove hermetic by a fabric and I wipe marble to "dry" shine.
After that I dry marble for 24 hours. Then I engrave and I rub an oil paint in a picture.
After that again I dry marble for 24 hours and cover with a thin layer of clear silicon hermetic. Silicone protects marble and a paint from a dirt and a dust, and also against solvent. To wash off a picture after hermetic is very difficult.
The technology is new and not checked up by time. I will experiment...
I wait for yours opinion and advice.

onur cakir
01-18-2009, 5:52 AM
silicon hermetic=silicon vacum ??

Didnt quite understand the material silicon hermetic. Is the silicone standart transperent aquarium silicone ?

I have tried to cover marble with very thin layer of clear silicon hermetic, then I remove hermetic by a fabric and I wipe marble to "dry" shine.
After that I dry marble for 24 hours. Then I engrave and I rub an oil paint in a picture.
After that again I dry marble for 24 hours and cover with a thin layer of clear silicon hermetic. Silicone protects marble and a paint from a dirt and a dust, and also against solvent. To wash off a picture after hermetic is very difficult.
The technology is new and not checked up by time. I will experiment...
I wait for yours opinion and advice.

Bill Cunningham
01-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I just seal it with a ordinary stone sealer. The same stuff used to seal the grout and tile used in showers, and on slate or other stone used on patios.. Water beads right off it..

Andrey Anfimov
01-18-2009, 10:51 PM
silicon hermetic=silicon vacum ??

Didnt quite understand the material silicon hermetic. Is the silicone standart transperent aquarium silicone ?

I use silicone sealant like this one:
http://www.elfy.com/products.htm#SILICONES