PDA

View Full Version : Hand carved shoe / boot

Joe Petersen
01-17-2009, 6:16 PM
I stopped at a house yesterday to answer a sign for free firewood. The seasoned gentleman that was giving the wood away turned out to be retired and occasionally worked wood. He showed me around his shop and took me in his house to show me his carved canes. Had a real cool elephant cane that must have taken a year to carve. I should have snapped a pic of that too.

Anyway, to the point. He showed me this small boot he carved. I have never seen anything like it so I took a picture to share with you folks. I did a search for something like it on here and can't find anything.

John Schreiber
01-17-2009, 8:08 PM
Don't know why, but there's a big tradition of carved boots. Try this Google Images (http://images.google.com/images?q=carved%20boots&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS290US290&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi)search.

I just found this pic on line.

http://www.pioneermtwoodworking.com/images/Pink-&-Natural-Wood--Boot.gif

Not my cup of tea, but good fun for some.

Judy Kingery
01-17-2009, 8:17 PM
Joe,

Now that's a carving with character - glad to have seen it tonight and thanks for posting the pic, that's too cool!

Jude

Dewey Torres
01-17-2009, 8:20 PM
Joe and John,
Both are great!

Dave Verstraete
01-17-2009, 8:26 PM
If you're Dutch, you'd know that they have been doing this for a long time !

They're called Klompen

Dave Lehnert
01-17-2009, 8:37 PM
I stopped at a house yesterday to answer a sign for free firewood. The seasoned gentleman that was giving the wood away turned out to be retired and occasionally worked wood. He showed me around his shop and took me in his house to show me his carved canes. Had a real cool elephant cane that must have taken a year to carve. I should have snapped a pic of that too.

Anyway, to the point. He showed me this small boot he carved. I have never seen anything like it so I took a picture to share with you folks. I did a search for something like it on here and can't find anything.

I am not a woodcarver but like to go to the Artistry In wood show in Dayton Ohio. That boot is very common with carvers. You can find a lot of carving books with that boot.

Doug Shepard
01-17-2009, 9:13 PM

They're called Klompen

Let me guess. West Michigen=Holland MI ?:D

Dewey Torres
01-17-2009, 9:16 PM

They're called Klompen

My Mother-in law has a set of those that she wore as a kid. And before that they were passed down from her grandmother. They are all beat up and of course don't fit her today but they are amazing pieces of work.

Dave Verstraete
01-18-2009, 9:44 AM
Let me guess. West Michigen=Holland MI ?:D

Doug
I beg your pardon, I'm at least 20 miles from there! LOL Sp? on "Michigen"

Doug Shepard
01-18-2009, 9:56 AM
... LOL Sp? on "Michigen"

Dang. Gonna lose my residency status over that one fer shur.:eek: