PDA

View Full Version : I have both what to use

Dustin Cranford
01-17-2009, 4:31 PM
Trying to order a sharpening jig since I couldn't freehand to save my life. So here's the problem. I have both a wolverine and a Jet slow speed. Which one would be better for sharpening. I am not real good at so ease of use with best result is probably best. Most of my other jigs for my Jet are Tormek jigs. I have had some problems on the wolverine getting the same grind everytime on my other tools. So which would you buy.

Burt Alcantara
01-17-2009, 5:10 PM
Dustin,
Even with a jig, you'll need to practice sharpening and eventually find a grind that you like. Trent Bosch showed me how to grind using the Wolverine. The "lesson" was 2 minutes long (I took a bowl class with him at Woodcraft). After that, I stopped making metal stumps. Helps to have someone show you or take a class if possible.

Thing is, like all things in life, it takes practice and finding your style of turning. One day you'll discover that you have a unique grind and the gouge dances around the wood. Give it time. And practice.

Burt

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2009, 5:15 PM
I have the Tormek and the wolverine jig. I like the Tormek because it seems to give me a better edge. I use the wolverine to rough a new gouge to the shape I want then sharpen on the Tormek. On the wolverine jig I use a block with a hole drilled in it to get the gouge protruding the same everytime. I use the #5 notch (closer to the bottom of the varigrind) for bowl gouges. I use the #2 notch towards the top for spindle gouges. I match the nose of the gouge to the wheel moving the jig in or out as needed. Then I grind away going from one side of the gouge to the other. When you get to the nose of the gouge hold it so it just touches lightly. I don't know if you saw this or not but if not it is good to watch each segment of the wolvrine jig.

http://www.oneway.ca/multi-media/coring_videos.htm

Dustin Cranford
01-17-2009, 9:30 PM
Am I correct that the Tormek jig puts a fingernail grind on them? Or am I looking at the wrong one. Honestly I would know one grind from another. Guess I better start reading.