PDA

View Full Version : Table Pin & Insert for Shop Fox W1729

Steve H Graham
01-17-2009, 4:02 PM
The saw I bought yesterday turned out to have no table pin. The seller is going to see if he can find it, but if he can't locate it, I'll have to buy a new one.

Can anyone tell me what the pin does? Does it stiffen the front of the table where the slit goes through? Also, do I have to have the exact item sold by Shop Fox, or can I substitute something from a hardware store?

One other thing. The zero-insert clearance is not in great shape. I've seen these things for sale, for smaller saws. I haven't measured, but I assume they fit mine as well. Is it worth it to buy one, or do people generally crank them out with a bandsaw and router?

Tom Veatch
01-17-2009, 8:42 PM
The pin on my Jet Band Saw, and I assume on the Shop Fox as well, is tapered to fit inside a tapered recess. The purpose is to lock the two sides of the table together so they are level across the slit. Substitute with a standard hardware item? Possibly. There may be standard tapered pins that would fit. Suggest you get a price on the replacement part before you spend too much time looking for a standard part replacement. I misplaced mine and bought a replacement from Jet. The cost wasn't unreasonable - while I was at it, I went ahead and bought a second one for a spare.

Can't speak to the ZCI question having never used nor seen the need for one on my bandsaw.

David DeCristoforo
01-17-2009, 9:37 PM
You know those little scribers that are stuck into a hole in the ends of combination squares? And how the only combination squares that still have one stuck in the hole in the end are the ones that are still on the store shelves? Well, I think bandsaw table pins are in the same category.

Tom Esh
01-17-2009, 9:58 PM
I put a "keeper" line on mine, though not before having to hunt it down a few times. The other end sticks to the underside of the table with a magnet.