PDA

View Full Version : Which random orbital sander should I buy?

Louis Brandt
01-17-2009, 3:51 PM
Hello,

I want a random orbital sander, and I’ve seen three of them that I like. Has anyone had experience with any of these, and if so, which would you recommend?

DeWalt D26453K, 3 amp, variable speed
Milwaukee 6021-21, 3 amp variable speed
Bosch ROS20VS, 2.2 amp, variable speed.

At my local Borgs, the Milwaukee and Bosch are both $69.95, and the DeWalt is $79.95 All of them have the same speed range, about 7000 to 12000.

What I don’t understand is why the Bosch is rated at only 2.2 amps.

Thanks,
Louis

Chris Padilla
01-17-2009, 4:16 PM
I don't see Festool on your list and since I have one, they are extemely nice...especially when it comes to dust collection. Seriously, hook a Festool ROS up with a vacuum (Fein or Festool or whatever), and you will have no sawdust--you'll wonder if you're really sanding. However, Festool will cost at least 3x of the ones on your list and that doesn't include a vacuum.

What are the sizes of these ROSs? 6" discs?

Bill White
01-17-2009, 4:30 PM
Why do ya want a VS ROS? I may be missing something here 'cause I've been using the venerable PC for quite some time. Never thought I needed VS.
Bill

Gary Elore
01-17-2009, 4:31 PM
FWIW

One of the wood working mags (I subscribe to three and can't remember which one) recently had a ROS shoot out. They gave the Ridgid the nod as their choice. They had good things to say about several of the sanders though so it might be worth a read if you can find the article.;

They did say that the Festool was an excellent sander but had the smallest orbit diameter, making it slow for heavy sanding tasks.

Montgomery Scott
01-17-2009, 4:45 PM
I'm on my second Bosch variable speed sander. They are nice sanders and I won't go back to non-VS sander as it is too versatile. That said, I would probably buy a festool next time as I prefer quality over price, though I learned about them after I bought my last sander.

Jason White
01-17-2009, 7:01 PM
If you're limited to those 3 choices due to cost, then just pick the one that feels best in your hand.

Jason

Hello,

I want a random orbital sander, and I’ve seen three of them that I like. Has anyone had experience with any of these, and if so, which would you recommend?

DeWalt D26453K, 3 amp, variable speed
Milwaukee 6021-21, 3 amp variable speed
Bosch ROS20VS, 2.2 amp, variable speed.

At my local Borgs, the Milwaukee and Bosch are both $69.95, and the DeWalt is $79.95 All of them have the same speed range, about 7000 to 12000.

What I don’t understand is why the Bosch is rated at only 2.2 amps.

Thanks,
Louis

Craig D Peltier
01-17-2009, 7:33 PM
2008 Tool Guide put put by Fine woodworking rated the bosch the best due to leaving fewer scratches from the orbit. I have that one, its not the quietest or the least vibrating one but I like it.
I also have the dewalt, much quiter and less vibration.