PDA

View Full Version : PRE-Gloat - hide your wood!!!

Dennis Peacock
06-25-2004, 10:53 PM
Well....It's time for an "official" Pre-Gloat for a new woodworking tool. I got some stock options from my employer instead of my full pay for 2 years. Well, I finally got my pay back to where it was over 2 years ago and I sold the options 2 weeks ago. I have deciced to call General Industrial Supply and order me one of these:

Bruce Page
06-25-2004, 11:02 PM
SA WEEEEEEEEET!

Steve King
06-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about :D
Way to go Dennis!
Steve

Dennis Peacock
06-25-2004, 11:45 PM
Now...for those of you who don't understand General Industrial Supply's New Verses Scratch-N-Dent Sale items:

Now....let me explain what I learned today while I talked with JJ at GIS:

City Slicker Talkin':
New Tools - get full manufacturers warranty PERIOD.

Scratch-N-Dent - GIS has a contract with Jet/Powermatic/WHM/WMH/LMNOP/WhatEverTheirCalledToday Group. When a piece of equipment gets returned to any of the above said "Group" due to customer rejection for the reason of shipping damage, tool damage, tipped over during shipment...etc...etc..etc...and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on....well.....you get the picture. The any of the said/same group as mentioned above then receives said damaged equipment via Returning Freight Truck, forklifts it over to said Delivery Truck to take said damaged piece to GIS.
GIS then takes each piece of equipment from what used to be the Delivery Truck, that is now known to them to be the Returning Frieght Truck and stores it in their warehouse.
The GIS team of equipment fixer-uppers goes completely through each piece of said damaged equipment, repairs/replaces anything that is broken or no longer working to make each piece of said Returned Equipment into a very "like new" working piece of equipment.
At no time does GIS make any effort to fix or repair ANY scratches, dents, paint chips or any other properly classified damage to any said piece in the warehouse and passes the savings on the each perspective customer during the normal GIS business hours of operation.
The above aforementioned group also voids it's own warranty on any piece of equipment that is shipped to GIS for the Scratch-N-Dent sales center.
At that time, GIS, will upon your purchase of said Scratch-N-Dent piece of equipment, will apply a proper 30 day GIS local supplier Warranty and is a warranty that is outside of the district of the above aforementioned tool group.

Kuntry Boy talkin':

New Tools - She ain't gotta scratch on'er any whur and the boys that made'er said they'd fix anythang that happens to it fer a whole 2 years.

Scratch-N-Dent - The boys that sent this thang to me says they'd fix it if'en sumpin went broke on it fer a whole 30 days. Utter'n that, the boys that made'er ain't gonna have nuttin' to do whidder. She might havua scratch here'n-there and that dent o-var ain't gonna hurt nuttin'. But them boys that made'er....still ain't got nuttin' to do whidder since she got hurt in the lais shipment. I guess that's why they sell'em cheaper. Ain't got no real gar-on-tee....

Oh well....I'm oncall and ain't got nuttin' else better to do.!!!

John Weber
06-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love a big PM!

John

Bruce Page
06-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Oh well....I'm oncall and ain't got nuttin' else better to do.!!!
Slow nights can be a good thing. ;)

Dennis Peacock
06-26-2004, 12:00 AM
Slow nights can be a good thing. ;)
Thanks Bruce and you're correct. BUT, it's only quiet for a very short while before the flood gates open. :)

I forgot to mention that these lathes are out of stock until after 10 July 2004. I'll be sure to post pics when I go to pick'er up at the terminal in Little Rock. She's gonna be heavy!!!!

John Miliunas
06-26-2004, 12:27 AM
OOOOOOOO, LA, LA! :D Happy turnin', Dennis! Guess you'll be turning them GIANT sized FPP's now, heh?! A worthy gloat indeed. We'll be expecting some grand pieces from that grand piece o' equipment. Congrats buddy! :cool:

Dennis Peacock
06-26-2004, 1:42 AM
OOOOOOOO, LA, LA! :D Happy turnin', Dennis! Guess you'll be turning them GIANT sized FPP's now, heh?! A worthy gloat indeed. We'll be expecting some grand pieces from that grand piece o' equipment. Congrats buddy! :cool:

Thanks John.

I too am excited. I won't know how to handle it since I'm so used to my Jet 1236 dancing around the entire shop when I mount up a large bowl blank and turn it on as slow as it will go....that's 500 RPM for it's slowest setting. The PM 3520A will go all the way to ZERO and also reverses for final sanding and finishing. I just need to find someone close by that has an engine hoist to get it off my trailer when I get this baby home.!!! :eek:

Tyler Howell
06-26-2004, 5:41 AM
I'd like to put my order in for on of them there giant pens.:eek:
Congrats Dennis!

Terry Quiram
06-26-2004, 7:25 AM
Oh man Dennis thats one nice pen turning machine. :D Before the Stubby dropped into my lap the 3520 was the next machine on my hit list. You are for sure going to have to come up for a visit now and stock up.

Congrats,
Terry

Terry Hatfield
06-26-2004, 7:53 AM
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!! How you gonna get that up here for the Bbq????????

t

Tim Morton
06-26-2004, 8:00 AM
Thats a sweet machine...you can turn a 4ft pen with it and give it to the VP so that he can "write" a big FU to Leahy next time :cool:

So I take it you are going with a NEW TOOL?

Jim Becker
06-26-2004, 9:35 AM
The good news, Dennis, is that you can pretty much disassemble the 3520A to get it into your shop. Congratulations on the new tool! It's gonna make your head spin... :D

John Miliunas
06-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Thanks John.

I too am excited. I won't know how to handle it since I'm so used to my Jet 1236 dancing around the entire shop when I mount up a large bowl blank and turn it on as slow as it will go....that's 500 RPM for it's slowest setting. The PM 3520A will go all the way to ZERO and also reverses for final sanding and finishing. I just need to find someone close by that has an engine hoist to get it off my trailer when I get this baby home.!!! :eek:

My little one isn't a Jet, but an almost exact clone, made by Yorkcraft. I feel your pain on the "dance"! :( And I've got mine weighed down with a bottom shelf, which is a solid-core door and about 180lbs. of sandbags on it! I think mine only goes down to 600rpm. I couldn't believe the difference when I mounted a lopsided piece on my Vega 2400! Like the PM, down to ZERO rpm, reverse, etc... The headstock is surrounded in concrete and the legs are concrete filled, as well. There are even tabs on the legs to mount it to the floor, but I haven't found a need for this...Yet! :rolleyes: I know a couple guys with the PM and they are just thrilled with it. I'm sure you will be, too! Have phun! :cool:

Dennis Peacock
06-26-2004, 12:29 PM
DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!! How you gonna get that up here for the Bbq????????

t

Hey Buddy.!!!!!

I guess I could just mount it to my trailer and park it INSIDE your shop!!! :D

John Shuk
06-26-2004, 4:04 PM
Dennis,
I laid eys and hands on that lathe at my local dealer and I got that 1236 too. All I can say is that when the time comes that is my next lathe. My buddy has a Poolewood and it is great. I've seen the Oneways and they are beauties too. I can't see any reason to spend almost double though after seein that Powermatic. The quality is exceptional in all of the castings I can only bet the motor works well too. Best of luck to ya!

Zahid Naqvi
06-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Dude, what happened to the "braces"?

So you couldn't wait until it hit $25 eh! If you need any help let me know, I have the week of July 5-9 off on PDO.

Zahid

John Bussom
06-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Now that is one to add to my wanna list!
Being new to turning and this forum I can tell ya that's as close as I'll get for awhile although the LOML did approve me getting a new lathe when the bonus check comes in, till then I am still learning on my Montgomery Ward special.

John

Dennis Peacock
06-27-2004, 3:48 AM
Dude, what happened to the "braces"?

So you couldn't wait until it hit $25 eh! If you need any help let me know, I have the week of July 5-9 off on PDO.

Zahid

Hey Z....

LOML said that THAT money was "mine" and I could do with as I saw fit. Well, I didn't see "fit" but I DID see a new LATHE in my very near future.! :D

The lathe isn't due in to GIS until 10 July...so it will be AFTER your PDO.!!!

Chris Padilla
06-27-2004, 2:00 PM
Uh, how do you cut sheet stock on that thing?! :confused: It looks like it would make a mess of wood makin' it all curvy an' twisted an' stuff!? :confused:

Confused in Cali....;)

John Miliunas
06-27-2004, 3:13 PM
Confused in Cali....;)

Oh, now THERE'S a revolation! :D NOT! :rolleyes: (Sorry Chris. You "opened the door" and I let myself in! :D ) :cool:

Dominic Greco
06-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Man, you are gonna' love using this lathe! I had a Jet 1236 and when I moved up to the Jet 1642 it was like jumping on a Harley after pedaling a yard sale tricycle!

Have fun. After you have the lathe in place, you might want to think about adding a ballast box. Even thought your new lathe weighs in at over 700 lbs, the more weight, the better. Ask Mike Schwing about it.

Later,
Dominic

Richard Allen
06-28-2004, 7:56 AM
Well done Dennis

That is an execlent choice for the "stock options".

You are going to get more out of that lathe than you could ever hope for.

Kent Cori
06-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Great news Dennis! I freely admit that I have lust in my heart for a 3520A too. I'm sure you'll let us know how you like it once it shows up on your door step but we'll want pics too. :)

Zahid Naqvi
06-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Hey Z....

LOML said that THAT money was "mine" and I could do with as I saw fit. Well, I didn't see "fit" but I DID see a new LATHE in my very near future.! :D

The lathe isn't due in to GIS until 10 July...so it will be AFTER your PDO.!!!

The offer is still open, plus I can drag you to my garage and show you my shop.
I think I need to get your wife to talk to mine every now and then :p