PDA

View Full Version : Edge Sander - Griz 0512 vs Griz 1140 vs General 15-005

Quesne Ouaques
01-17-2009, 1:53 PM
I am thinking about a edge sander, and I'm trying to consider some of the various features.

Two machines that are comparably priced, but which appear to have very different features are the Grizzly 0512 and the Grizzly 1140. The General 15-005 -- which I am also considering -- is comparably priced if I consider a used one.

I am curious whether anyone has any comments on the differences between the various machines. Mainly, I am hoping to find out which features are really the most important and which ones I am not likely to miss if I don't have them.

I am a hobbyist. I have done several one-off furniture pieces, a few rocking horses, several walking canes and many cutting boards. One of these days, I'd love to build some guitars.

The main feature differences I noticed are:

Tilting table (on 1140 only)
Wrap-around table (on 0512 only)
Smaller radius front belt roller (on 0512 only)
Belt speed (15-005 is much faster)
Table size (15-005 appears to be larger than 1140)

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated! :)

Rick Fisher
01-17-2009, 4:39 PM
I looked at the General 15-005 when I was shopping for my edge sander.

I bought the Steel City because it had a bigger motor and I was concerned about the machine bogging down.

When sanding really wide boards, I can still bog down the 2hp motor on the Steel City if I push hard but its got to be intentional.

Edge sanders are fantastic. I use mine 5 times more than I ever thought I would.

Jim Hill
01-17-2009, 6:33 PM
I have looked at both grizz sanders, and was going to buy the one with the wrap around table. I preferred it because I thought the one with the CI table was just too small-the table that is. I was at the Springfield store at the time and they were out, but could ship it from another warehouse. I didn't want to deal with shipping-I had previously had an issue with Overnite-so I didn't buy it. I did buy the GI machine you're looking at. I'm very pleased with both fit and finish and power, at least for my use. The 6 x 89 belts are a bit more common. The dust collection isn't the best (even with my 2hp Oneida) but is better than I had expected. Adjusting the table would be easier if I had 3 hands. I put a small jack under the table, and use it when I need to make table adjustments. I have to agree with the other poster; I use the sander much more than I had anticipated. Had I realized that I would use it on most every project, I would have invested in an edge sander sooner.

Jim

Dave Lehnert
01-17-2009, 7:45 PM
I have researched edge sander but never have purchased one.Just a couple of things for you to consider.

The Grizzly belt is an 80" Vs General 89" The Grizzly belt is not hard to find at all mail order from difference sources. But the more common 89" size may be easier to find at a local woodworking tool supply.

The Grizzly belt speed is much slower (1,800 fpm), In my opinion that is better but still a little fast for me as I build smaller boxes. The general belt speed clocks in at 3,150 FPM. I know you will get different opinions but that just seems way too fast for woodworking.

Right now I build small boxes and the like. I went with the Shopsmith belt sander because of the varable speed I have access to. Gives me fantastic control with my work. I can slow it down to 500rpm. Why other manufactures do not offer this in all tools is beyond me.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/01_BeltSander.jpg

Leigh Betsch
01-17-2009, 9:21 PM
I have the Grizzly 1140. I'm not a big fan of Grizzly, fit and finish just don't impress me much. But I'm very glad to have it, I use it a lot. I bought a Woodmaster 38" drum sander and a bunch of other stuff came with the deal, including the edge sander. So the bottom line is I really like having and edge sander, Grizz is way better than not having one, fit and finish are not very good but it works fine, probably will keep it and not upgrade. The speed seems fine to me but I've never used anything faster or slower.