PDA

View Full Version : Pheil chisels

Dan Karachio
01-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi all, am very new to hand tools, but wanted to pass on my reaction to some new tools that I am really enjoying. I read the Fine Woodworking review on hand chisels a while back and though Lie-Nielsen got top awards a very quiet and not as visible comment stated the Phiel's were pretty much runner up overall and held their edge a bit better and if you look at the metrics was ahead on many (LN ergonomics seemed to edge them out). Well, a while back I picked up a set of Pheils and I just love them. I am constantly looking for a reason to use them. I suppose I am getting that hand tool bug, beause being directly in control of wood with great tools is something I instantly enjoyed. I'm sure the LN are fabulous, but don't count out Pheil either. I paid about $150 for a set of six in a nice wood box. Seems like a deal. Here they are: http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=05T29&FamilyID=300

John Keeton
01-17-2009, 3:51 PM
Dan, I have the same set, and they do seem to hold an edge very well. The ergonomics are good, too. I had hoped to be able to use mine for dovetails, but the side bevels are just not sufficient. I will need to get a couple of chisels for that purpose, but the Pfeils are very good tools - glad you like yours.