PDA

View Full Version : Waterlox vs. spar varnish?

Ken Cohen
01-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I need to choose a finish for a mahogany/okoume tack trunk. It will live in an unheated barn environment, suggesting priorities are (1) hardness/durability, (2) ability to handle seasonal temperature changes, (3) dampness (+ very occasional wetness). Sunlight not an issue.

I have no experience with either finish. Based on prior posts, Waterlox seems the preferred choice (for its hardness), but I am concerned how it will handle the outdoor-like temperature variation.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Ken

Jim Becker
01-17-2009, 4:28 PM
The waterlox is just fine. Spar varnish is a very soft (long oil) product and was designed to be very flexible...as spars on boats tend to bend a lot. Besides "good" spar varnish (not the 'borg stuff) will cost you an arm an a leg, too. That said, the finish on the tack trunk (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97948&highlight=Tack) I recently built is shellac and Target Coatings USL water borne. I have no aprehension about it handling the variable "climate" at the barn nor the abuse that it takes from folks "accidentally" putting things on it that they shouldn't...

Ken Cohen
01-17-2009, 5:24 PM
Thanks for your advice.

Good to know that Waterlox will work. I'm not much of a finishing pro -- and would welcome any thoughts on your lacquer approach (I don't have a sprayer, however) vs, Waterlox.

Most importantly, I checked out your tack design post. Really nice design and execution. Like you, I tried to reduce weight with using post and rail frame (using sliding dovetails) and 3/8 and 1/2 plywood for the panels. I'll post when done.

Thanks again.

Jim Becker
01-17-2009, 7:15 PM
If you're going to hand apply, Waterlox is a wonderful finish to use.

On the construction of our trunk, that's fax frame and panel...it's a 1/2" cherry plywood box with 1/4" solid cherry applied to simulate rails and stiles. :) The 1/4" stock was mitered on the router table with a 45º chamfer cutter so the corner pieces came together like a post, hiding the butt joints on the plywood. Those were glued and nailed with 1 1/4" brads and then clamped until the glue dried. The internals were built using pocket screws and provide a lot of support for the plywood box. It's solid!

Prashun Patel
01-19-2009, 8:27 AM
Jim's the expert, and I've used Waterlox to great effect on a bench (interior). But it IS hard, so I wonder how it will handle the expansion and contraction of the wood that will likely happen with temp/humidity fluctuations.

I used Spar varnish on an exterior bench that got rain, sun and all the elements. It lasted about 3 years but ultimately split in places.