PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Cermark

Ross Lowry
01-17-2009, 9:42 AM
I just bought some cermark that I have to mix with a 2 to 1 mixture.
How long does this stuff keep?
Can I mix all of it at once?
Will it keep in an airtight container?
Thanks.

Ross

Anthony Scira
01-17-2009, 11:20 AM
You can really play with the stuff. I mix it as thin as 5:1 and get just as good a mark. You don't want a thick coat.

And I never mix it all at once. But if the big bottle gets a little thick I just add a little DNA to it and shake it up to thin out.

But I find 2:1 is way on the thick side. But after a little experimentation you will get the feel what it should be like.

Ross Lowry
01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
To late, I mix it all already.
After engraving I cleaned it with warm water and it wasn't as black as I would hoped for.
It was more black then grey, but not black like it was prior to cleaning it.
Any tips on how to keep it the blackest?

Anthony Scira
01-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Keep playing, sounds like your mixture is still too thick. In a small jar (I use a little 3oz) thin it down again. And make sure you are mixed thoroughly.

Ross Lowry
01-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the tips Anthony.

Gary Hair
01-19-2009, 1:12 PM
It was more black then grey, but not black like it was prior to cleaning it.
Any tips on how to keep it the blackest?

If it was grey/blue after you lasered it then you overpowered it. If it turned grey after you cleaned it, as if some of it rubbed off, then you underpowered it.

Gary

Ross Lowry
01-19-2009, 1:22 PM
Good info.
Thanks Gary

Bruce Volden
01-19-2009, 5:54 PM
Also, I am still using the 2 pounds I purchased YEARS ago (more than 6) so it does have a long shelf life. I also will bump the fact of THIN application.

Bruce

Ross Lowry
01-19-2009, 7:19 PM
It seems though the more you thin the mixture out the less black it becomes.

Gary Hair
01-20-2009, 2:28 PM
It seems though the more you thin the mixture out the less black it becomes.

Only if you thin it enough to keep from applying a reasonable coat. I thin mine to the consistency of milk. When I spray it on, with an airbrush, I can just barely see the shine of the metal through the coating. Any less and you don't have enough, any more and you have too much. It's a goldilocks kind of thing...

Gary

Ian Rankin
01-20-2009, 3:32 PM
I am watching is thread with interest. I have used Cermark aerosols which are great but no matter how I clear after spraying I always end up with a clogged up tin. I have stored upside down, washed out the nozzles but the blockage seems to be on the inside. I have now bought the tub and so far thinned it down and brushed it on with mixed results. My question is what is the best setup or make of an air brush for the job? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Ian Rankin

Frank Corker
01-20-2009, 6:20 PM
Only if you thin it enough to keep from applying a reasonable coat. I thin mine to the consistency of milk. When I spray it on, with an airbrush, I can just barely see the shine of the metal through the coating. Any less and you don't have enough, any more and you have too much. It's a goldilocks kind of thing...
Gary

I'm with Gary. I only just cover it almost to the point where you can see the metal. Whack up your power or slow down your speed if it's greying out

Bill Cunningham
01-20-2009, 9:25 PM
I am watching is thread with interest. I have used Cermark aerosols which are great but no matter how I clear after spraying I always end up with a clogged up tin. I have stored upside down, washed out the nozzles but the blockage seems to be on the inside. I have now bought the tub and so far thinned it down and brushed it on with mixed results. My question is what is the best setup or make of an air brush for the job? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Ian Rankin

There was a cermark recall a while back.. Some of the cans were clogging badly Someplace on this forum is a batch# with the bad stuff.. If the can you have matches the bad lot, Just call your distributor, and tell him/her you have a can from that batch, they will replace it for free, and ferro backs them up.. I had one, and made the call, they sent me a new can and didn't even ask for the old one back. So, when I get hard-up for some, I can puncture the can and salvage the contents.. It really helps a lot, if you shake the bejeezuz out of it before using. I think they recommend 120 shakes minimum.. When done, hold the can upside down, and spray (into a bottle .. no sense wasting it) until the nozzle is clear then 'take it off the can' before storing away.. This has always worked for me..

kyle bonnell
01-21-2009, 3:47 PM
I just bought some cermark that I have to mix with a 2 to 1 mixture.
How long does this stuff keep?
Can I mix all of it at once?
Will it keep in an airtight container?
Thanks.

Ross

I thin mine down alot. Couldn't tell you the ratio because I can tell by looking at it. When I spray it on a metal to looks powder coated. It dries immediately when it touches the metal. I use a $10 purple spary gun from harbor freight.

Gary Hair
01-22-2009, 1:00 PM

Ian Rankin

I bought a Pasche airbrush for paint filling acrylic and I also use it for Cermark. I tried the cheap HF airbrush but the nozzle wasn't big enough and I couldn't get it to flow well with Cermark. I would highly recommend against spray cans and using an airbrush instead. I can adjust the spray pattern and flow, something you can't do with a rattle can.

Gary

Rodne Gold
01-22-2009, 1:38 PM
We had clogging problems with the paasche and the siphon bottle , so we use that gravity feed hopper for cermark instead

Gary Hair
01-22-2009, 5:04 PM
We had clogging problems with the paasche and the siphon bottle , so we use that gravity feed hopper for cermark instead

I had "gravity" problems with the gravity feed hopper... Darn stuff ran out the sides when I tipped it over too far! Damn that Newton.