PDA

View Full Version : Measuring question

Tom Godley
01-17-2009, 7:32 AM
I need to install a new gasket for my garage door. The sides being about 8 feet tall are not a problem but the top is about 19' wide. This gasket is a typical garage door type -- flexible pvc gasket mounted to a colored pvc 1/2 x 3 nailer.

How would you measure for the top?

I can not get an accurate measure even with a thick tape because it bends too much - trying to place the gasket is worse.

The only thing I have come up with is to use some trim strips and attach two 8' sections to the top of the garage frame and then place a small one and draw lines so I can then replicate this on the ground.

If I had a bunch of people around I guess I could have them hold up the tape -- but I am not going to have that when I get there.

The one that was originally installed with the door was off by over an inch so clearly the guy that did this for a living did not have the answer! It is amazing how much air can blow through.

Randy Breeding
01-17-2009, 7:52 AM
Can you use something rigid to at least get a partial measurement? ( maybe a 2x4 or conduit) Or maybe use the old one and add or deduct that inch. How about installing it to the corner an cutting it in the air. I have never done this so if my suggestions are bunk..please forgive me. Or maybe even drive a few nails to pull from.

Thomas Williams
01-17-2009, 8:28 AM
I would measure over from one side 10 or 12 feet and make a mark. Then measure from the other side to the mark and add the measurements. I use the Stanley tape that will go out about 7 feet without bending, so I can usually support the tape for a 10 foot or so measurement. Another option, tape or tack a block on the frame so as to hold the end of your tape. Sort of pinch the tape hook between the block and door frame.

Tom Godley
01-17-2009, 8:35 AM
Unfortunately -- the old one was in three sections and they were all thrown out.

Doing partial measuring is what I am planning to do -- I would just buy some pine strips and temporally attach them to make a kind of template.

I figured I would ask to see if there is some way that this type of measuring is best done. I even tried to use duct tape -- to hold the tape up as I went -- but the area is not that large and the tape did not stick all that well to the semi-gloss paint. I may try to get some type of tape that is stronger because a direct measurement would be the easiest solution

Since I was able to buy a 20' section, I want to use it because it will give me the best seal and will eliminate the damage that always happens to the gasket at the seams when the door travels up and down.

Tom Godley
01-17-2009, 8:40 AM
The block on the end is not a bad idea - It also gave me the idea that I could cut some other small blocks and attach them to the head jam of the garage with one screw and slide the tape under them to hold it as I go along.

I think that will work :)

Thanks

Joe Scharle
01-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Can you drop a plumb line from each end to the floor. Measure there.

Dennis Hook
01-17-2009, 2:39 PM
You could use this as the perfect excuse to buy a Digital Laser Range Finder. I have the bosch unit and love it.

Jason Hanko
01-17-2009, 6:12 PM
Tack a nail in one corner, then tie a piece of string or twine to it. Stretch it across the top and cut it at the other corner. Kind of like a story pole, only its a story string. Haha.
Chalk line would also work, but Id recommend just measuring to that spot rather than cutting the line... :D