PDA

View Full Version : Any Battlestar Galactica fans out there??

Jim O'Dell
01-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Anyone know they started new episodes tonight? I just stumbled on some reruns, then a teaser about new episodes. Halfway through tonights new episode. Pretty weird. Jim.

Mike Forsman
01-18-2009, 8:57 AM
Jim,

Yep, I watch it. I did set up the DVR to record the shows on Friday night. I have not had a chance to watch them yet.

Mike

Joe Cunningham
01-18-2009, 9:51 AM
Yes, I watched the new episode. I dunno, I really liked the first two seasons but each new episode seems to get a little more strange. I have the first 3 seasons on DVD.

I set my dvr to record and watched it yesterday. I'll watch to the end if only to see how they resolve some of the weirdness.

Paul Simmel
01-18-2009, 4:42 PM
Jim,

Yep, I watch it. I did set up the DVR to record the shows on Friday night. I have not had a chance to watch them yet.

Mike

Yes, of course! Probably one of the top 3 best TV programs ever done, but one must watch the earlier shows before they tune in... a bit late at this point! There's a thread over on the AVS website been going for years! Very hard-core fans over there. Most will tell you... watch earlier shows from DVD. Last-year's Finale (part-one of two) will make a lot more sense. These current last 10 episodes are the last of it, so there are years of lose-ends being tied up.

I don't know any sci-fi fan who doesn't worship at the BSG moving-picture-show Idol!

Jim O'Dell
01-18-2009, 8:14 PM
The funny thing, I thought the series ended last year with finding earth! I didn't think it would be on this year. So I was really surprised to see it on Friday night. If there had been a Stars or Mavs game on, I wouldn't have watched the reruns long enough to see the commercials for the new show. I would have missed it. Now if I can remember each week that it is on and not miss it!!
I did miss the series premier, and probably the first 5 or 6 shows. Keep watching for them to start the series from the start on reruns, but they never have. I'd like to see it from the first. I know there are tidbits from the premier that would answer some questions I've had over the years. Jim.

Steve Clardy
01-18-2009, 10:31 PM
I never got into that show.
I miss the star trac and deep space nine shows

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-20-2009, 6:53 PM
Farscape, the original Star Trek (& none of the later ones), and Galactica have been pretty good.

The first Galactica was pointedly hideous. I rolled my eyes when they did the re-make. They managed to overcome my bias.

Chris Padilla
01-20-2009, 7:26 PM
I wish there were some good sci-fi shows out that rival the 24s, Alias, etc., but there aren't for me....

Karl Brogger
01-20-2009, 8:40 PM
Never got into. I liked the last Star Trek series, Enterprise. I really like Firefly, but that didn't even make it a full season before it was on the chopping block.

There's a new Star Trek movie coming out, I probably check that out.

Bill Cunningham
01-20-2009, 10:11 PM
It's funny, I was really into the 'OLD' one (70's 80's,) and watched the first few episodes, but could never really get into it.. I guess i just got older, and my tastes changed.. Or, it's because like many other shows, if you miss a few episodes, your totally 'LOST' yup that one too... If I come across someone who has the full set on DVD maybe i'll get into it.. Thats how i got hooked on 24

Bob Parker
01-20-2009, 10:44 PM
I've always loved science fiction, but somehow just recently got into the Star Trek books. I've had my eye on Battlestar but haven't taken the plunge yet. How does it compare to Star Trek?

Paul Simmel
01-21-2009, 3:45 PM
I wish there were some good sci-fi shows out that rival the 24s, Alias, etc., but there aren't for me....

Hard core BSG fans seem to put 'Lost' right up there. I've not seen the show with the exceptions of maybe one or two ep's, but again, it's one of those series that you need to apparently watch the earlier ep's.

BSG is definitely a novel. Only a few ep's were considered "fillers" and stand on their own. If you're like me and recovering from surgery, or in other ways have some extra time on your hands, unless you caught the show from the beginning you're going to probably not appreciate the creativity, etc.

Early last year I downloaded the entire BSG series and watched each ep in order. Only then did it all fall into place, and only then could I appreciate what some have called, the "genious" of the writers.

The original show, as it was presented back in the day, was a joke compared to this new version. It's like a hammered-together birdhouse that convicts throw together in "shop" compared to a well-made piece of furniture by a seasoned craftsman who works in a "studeo". There are some who don't know or care about the difference.

Does anyone like 'Lost'?

Karlan Talkington
01-21-2009, 3:58 PM
The wife and I love BSG. Not only does it have a group of great actors but the writing is superb as well. I definitely like the throw backs from the original BSG and very happy with the update. The mythology and social commentary is magnificent.

I am sad to see it go but I'm happy its ending with a complete story and not going out via the axe.

Lost is the same for me. I love a good story and a good story has to have a decently written out mythos. Lost has dipped for me a few times but has been able to keep my interest. I'm glad to know a complete story will be told (it has two seasons left). I hate shows that get cancelled before the story is told, its like someone taking a book from me before I get to finish it.

So say we all,

Karl Brogger
01-21-2009, 6:18 PM
Hard core BSG fans seem to put 'Lost' right up there. I've not seen the show with the exceptions of maybe one or two ep's, but again, it's one of those series that you need to apparently watch the earlier ep's.

Does anyone like 'Lost'?

I love Lost. It has been one of my favorite TV shows for a while now. Its great, just when you think things can't get anymore screwed up, it does. There is no explaination to anything, it basically makes no sense yet somehow stays intriguing. You are 100% correct, it needs to be watched from Episode 1, or you'll have zero idea what is going on, or what has lead up to it.

My favorite shows of all time:

Band of Brothers
Six Feet Under
Lost
Firefly
News Radio
Nip/Tuck
Hero's (though season 3 sucked, which doesn't matter, I can hit mute and stare at Hayden Pannetier and be entertained)
Big Love

I tend to like HBO's series apparently.

Jim O'Dell
01-21-2009, 8:08 PM
The current BSG is a hardcore version of the original show, which was more like a Sat morning cartoon.
Never got into Lost. My favorite of all time was JAG, followed by it's current offshoot, NCIS. I've watched all the Star Trek series and enjoyed them all. 24 looks to be a great show, but I've never sat down and watched it, well, maybe one episode. Used to watch The Dead Zone. It had an interesting cast, and premise. Kind of a 'what if' type of thing. Jim.