PDA

View Full Version : Todays 2 rough Turnings. 2nd one was rough on me!

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-16-2009, 8:46 PM
Heres my turnings for today. the 1st is a Hard Maple Vessel 28" tall about 15" dia. roughed Hollowed to a 1/2" thick.
The 2nd one is a Hard Maple log about 16" dia. X 28" long. It's the next section up of log the 1st vessel was turned from. This one had several large limbs trimmed off it as you can see in the pic. Although it gave me a pretty good pounding I got it turned to a round cylinder in a little over a hour. Then I had to call it a day,I was wore out . But at least next time I put it on the lathe, the HARD ROUGHING part is done. Both were turned today (my camera's date changes at 12 noon instead of midnight:confused:).

Tom Green
01-16-2009, 8:55 PM
Wow!!! and Wow!!!

Benjamin Dahl
01-16-2009, 9:00 PM
very cool joe. your lathe looks like it can handle that big stuff without a problem!
Ben

David Christopher
01-16-2009, 9:03 PM
I'm with Tom........ WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry Stratton
01-16-2009, 9:12 PM
Not much looks finer than a monster hunk of wood on a lathe!

Joe Meirhaeghe
very cool joe. your lathe looks like it can handle that big stuff without a problem!
Ben
Unfortunitly It's not my Robust lathe:( However I do get turn on it alot :D & Yes it will handle very large pieces. These were probably in the little over
220 lb plus size. We've turned numberous pieces pieces in the 400 to 475 lb range on it.

Dave Ogren
I with Tom and David also WOW!!! WOW!!! and WOW!!!

Good luck with the rest of the projects.

Dave Ogren

Jim Kountz
01-16-2009, 9:59 PM
Holy cr*p thats a hunk o wood!! I bet it did beat you up, Ive been roughing out some 15" blanks but they were cut out on a bandsaw first. Still beats me up though, way to go!!

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Joe, Very cool I love turning big but need a small hoist to get stuff on the lathe. I have 2000lb winch from HF that I will rig up some day when I get inspired, and get my steady reat done for my 3520B. I need some new shoulders so big stuff will really whoop my butt!

Great job!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Now that is a hunk of wood. Wow.

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Very impressive work Joe! Love the form! You said you roughed it down to 1/2" - sounds thin but you obviously have enough wood left to finish turn. What is the finished thickness you are working towards?

Jon Lanier
01-17-2009, 2:28 AM
What a wimp...
I am for complaining about the little ones that wear me down!!!! :eek:

Bill O'Conner
01-17-2009, 2:48 AM
They are get looking pieces

I would like to see the hollowing rig you if you don't mind

Thanks
Bill

Tom Godley
01-17-2009, 5:43 AM
Fantastic -- I did big turnings as a kid and want to work up to them again.

I am far from this size.

I too would like to see what you are using for a hollowing tool -- what is the shaft size .... Looks big.

Are you using a screw in the chuck to hold the wood at the head stock

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Very impressive work Joe! Love the form! You said you roughed it down to 1/2" - sounds thin but you obviously have enough wood left to finish turn. What is the finished thickness you are working towards?
Thanks Steve
I'm hoping to have about a 5/16" final thickness. But I'll go thiner if I have to to make it round again after it drys.

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2009, 10:37 AM
That's impressive! So far I haven't been able to do that on the tiny little hollow forms that I turn! Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished projects!

Bill Bolen
01-17-2009, 10:54 AM
I love big hollow forms and yours looks like it is going to be great. And your friends Robust does not even seem to be sweating!..Bill..

Terry Quiram
01-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Joe

Is this shop your place of business? Which hollowing tool are you using? How are you handling the drying process? Do you allow visitors? I am just up the road from you on the east side of Peoria.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-17-2009, 12:56 PM
That's impressive! So far I haven't been able to do that on the tiny little hollow forms that I turn! Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished projects!
Thanks again Steve
I hope for the best during the drying process. But you never know how things turn out( cracks- warping-splits) you know the drill. Anywayit will probably be at least 6 months before I do the finish turning. But when & if it turns out good I'll post a pic.

Reed Gray
01-17-2009, 12:59 PM
I was looking at the third picture and wondering how that log is held/attached to the chuck?
robo hippy

Matt Ranum
01-17-2009, 1:19 PM
Holy crap!:eek:

Tom Lewis
01-17-2009, 1:41 PM
Very nice! I have turned large pieces on my Vicmarc VL300 and have found that the "Easy Rougher" takes the "pounding" out of the rough turning. The "Easy Rougher" is held horizontal to the tool rest and the out of round log force is directed straight down on the tool rest and not back at the operator.

Burt Alcantara
01-17-2009, 2:13 PM
Joe,
What is that boring bar? Looks nice and thick. I've seen that studio in a number of posts on different photos. Who's is it and where is it located, if that's possible to divulge.

Is there a hoist above the lathe? Or, how'd you get that hugeness up on the lathe?

Thanks,
Burt

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-17-2009, 2:56 PM
I was looking at the third picture and wondering how that log is held/attached to the chuck?
robo hippy
The log is turned between centers. We use a 1 1/2" dia. 2 prong drive center special made to fit the chuck. and for the tail stock end is just a Oneway Live center with the point removed.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-17-2009, 3:02 PM
Joe

Is this shop your place of business? Which hollowing tool are you using? How are you handling the drying process? Do you allow visitors? I am just up the road from you on the east side of Peoria.
Terry
The turning studio belongs to a Proffesional turner friend of mine. :DYes he allows visitors by appointments. The drying process is fairly detailed several step process. With usually very good results, but no means 100 percent perfect. (like wood itself)

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-18-2009, 3:48 PM
Joe,
What is that boring bar? Looks nice and thick. I've seen that studio in a number of posts on different photos. Who's is it and where is it located, if that's possible to divulge.

Is there a hoist above the lathe? Or, how'd you get that hugeness up on the lathe?

Thanks,
Burt
Burt
The boring bar is made of 2 1 1/4" dia steel bars. If I remember right it's about 6' long.
I'd rather not mention the owners name. Although he is a Proffesional Artist & Master turner.
& Yes there is a electric hoist above his Robust Lathe.

Wilbur Pan
01-18-2009, 6:21 PM
That's really impressive. :eek:

Just out of curiosity, what speed were you doing your log rough out at?

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-18-2009, 9:36 PM
That's really impressive. :eek:

Just out of curiosity, what speed were you doing your log rough out at?
Not really sure what the speed is. The robust lathe does not have a digital read out. However it's much faster than one would think. It may seam scary to most, but the faster you can turn the piece the more cuts per minute you'll get. Also the less pounding you get on large out of round pieces. (less air time)
Hope this helps.
Please Always turn carefully this kind of turning is not for everyone. I have had Professional training turning these large pieces.

Chip Sutherland
01-18-2009, 10:09 PM
I lust for an American Beauty but I don't know if the LOML will ever sanction a 8-9K purchase...can't buy one without out all the goodies....unless it includes some 2-3ct diamond earrings for her.