PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with Edgejoining with Kreg Pocket Jig

travis howe
01-16-2009, 8:38 PM
Okay...I'm guessing the manual just doesn't explain too well.

I'm planing to use the kreg pocket jig system to edgejoint a desktop made with 4 1/2-5" oak. In the manual it discusses how you shouldn't use widths more than 5 inches for cuping/moisture issues, which I get.

My question is...the clamp that comes w/ the system can only handle stock somewhere in the 3-3 1/2" range....so how the heck do you use their tool to do the screw, am I missing something or do you need to clamp it some other way?:confused:

Thanks Creekers!

Yeah yeah...I'm finally getting around to complement the built-in bookshelves w/ a desk for the wife so I can move on to bigger and better things...:D

Ray Schafer
01-16-2009, 8:43 PM
I would clamp the boards to my workbench, and then use long clamps to clamp them together, then screw. One of the most important things is to clamp the receiving piece firmly to the workbench so that when the other piece wants to creep, it has nowhere to go.

Dan Keeling
01-16-2009, 9:00 PM
They make a 6" clamp for just such a use.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=144665&FamilyID=786

Joe Chritz
01-17-2009, 12:55 AM
I have used popcket screws for some edging. Usually I just clamp for a half hour and then move on with no screws. Occasionally (or always) I am in a hurry so sometimes I use pocket screws. I clamp as normal, drive the screws and then remove the clamps.

I don't worry about a perfect flush edge since it is very hard to achieve. I go for a whisper over on both sides and flush it up with a #80 scraper or card scraper.

Joe

Dewey Torres
01-17-2009, 1:24 AM
Click on Skillbuilder video's and click on edge jointing:

http://www.kregtool.com/kregjig/#videos

Enjoy!

Dave Falkenstein
01-17-2009, 10:22 AM
May I ask - why??? Why are you using pocket screws for edge joints? Perhaps you don't have clamps large enough for your project? As Joe said, glue and clamp works fine. I use pocket screws for lots of applications, but I don't see the need for them in a desk top.

Wade Lippman
01-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Until I saw the clamp I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. You want to clamp them to keep them even, right?

I would put in a couple biscuits for alignment. No clamps necessary.

I only used them for making panels a few times; as someone else said, glue is really all you need. If you have big enough clamps that is, which I didn't when I made two tables. The pocket screws acted as the clamps, but I used biscuits for alignment. (Actually I glued up two half tables and used pocket screws to connect them.)
The other time was when I was making a dive platform out of PT and I didn't trust just glue. I never actually used it, but it sat in my backyard for 3 years and held together just fine until I junked it.