PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw stands

Mike Mortenson
06-25-2004, 5:36 PM
I am looking at buying a miter saw stand. The one that looks best to me is the stablemate. What are your opinions on this and any other Miter Saw stands?

Joe Scarfo
06-25-2004, 7:11 PM
I'll assume you're looking for a portable....

Not that long ago, guys were headed out to HD like herds of sheep for the Rigid units. A local bud get one and he's absolutely in love. It collapses into a very small footprint and can handle long boards... The unit has wheels which makes it easy to move around...

Good Luck
Joe in Tampa....

Ken Garlock
06-25-2004, 8:43 PM
Mike, I have had the Stablemate for about 2 years, and it is durable steady stand. I would certainly buy it again. I recommend getting the optional wheels to aid moving it around the shop.

The miter saw removes by loosening two clamps that are cranked from the front. You can literally have the saw off the stand in 10 seconds. The entire stand folds up for transport, but I must warn you that it is not light. IIRC, it is about 25 lbs. It weighs that much because it is built well. The price is less than half of what the major tool mfg. want for their stands.

Around the various forums, I have noticed several people getting the Stablemate, and have not heard a complaint :)

Steve Clardy
06-25-2004, 8:44 PM
I've had a homemade one I made several years ago. 2x4 table, with a 8' ext. wing and a 4' ext. wing. I had to assemble and disassemble every job and was getting tired of that. So I was in at Grizzlys in Springfield, Mo. one day, and saw the dewalt table. No wheels, but the legs folded up. Just what I need I thought. So after spending $200.00 on it, and using it on 2-3 of the first jobs, I decided I had made a mistake. My old homemade job does better. I cut a lot of crown molding, and the dewalt has no back on the ext. tables, so the crown falls off of it. My old one has backs. So I technecially wasted my money on it.
Steve

Chris Padilla
06-25-2004, 9:06 PM
Steve, next time just send me the $200 you plan to p**s away! :D I'll collect it at Terry's in the fall.... ;)

Kelly C. Hanna
06-25-2004, 10:25 PM
If you are wanting a true portable that keeps you from having to dead lift the saw and stand to move it, get the Ridgid. It is the best stand on the market in my opinion. I have worked on the DW & Delta and both are good stands, but the Ridgid is far and away better than either one.

Tyler Howell
06-26-2004, 5:56 AM
I really like the Stablemate. Quick on/off with the saw. Qwick set up/tear down and the mounting brackets attach easily to a saw horse if you just take your saw. Don't have to remove saw to tear down.
Got the Rockler fence and extra mounting bracket for a router table I have.
Doesn't move real well on those little wheels they provide. Had to make local modification with some spare parts.;)

Steve Clardy
06-26-2004, 7:59 PM
Steve, next time just send me the $200 you plan to p**s away! :D I'll collect it at Terry's in the fall.... ;)

Hehe. How bout I bring it to Terry's and YOU can fill my wallet back up!!!!!!!:D
Waiting to see you there.
Steve

John Haylow
06-27-2004, 8:41 AM
Mike.

Another vote here for the Ridgid MSUV stand. I don't move my saw around a lot, but it sure is nice when you need to.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
06-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Mike, I bought the Delta a couple of years ago. A couple of weeks later BORG had the Ridgid. I wish I had the Ridgid. While the Delta m/s stand works well, it has one major drawback. When collapsed, it won't stand up on it's end....so even though it has a small foot print, it has to be hooked over something! This is a major problem if you have a very limited storage area!

Phil Phelps
06-27-2004, 10:30 AM
....you don't have a fence or stop. I like the portability, but to get repeat cuts, you'll have to make your own fence stops.