PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathe Dust Collection

Chris Huybregts
01-16-2009, 6:25 PM
Hey guys, for those of us on Minis what do you recommend for dust collection? Make your own setup or buy an attachment?

What I'm after is something to help out mainly during sanding of my mini lathe work. Additionally, I just have a shop vac.

I saw something at woodcraft (can't find it on their online store) that was an acrylic box that was either attached to the lathe or attached close to the lathe that you'd plug your hose into, at the time i was in a hurry so didn't investigate further. OR do you guys just use dust masks and not worry about it when sanding (I currently use a dust mask when sanding, but figured having my shop vac on for at least the sanding part, would probably be healthier in the long run).

Opinions? photos? any info? :)

Chris

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 6:42 PM
Chris, You could make something out of cardboard that would do the same thing as the one made from plexiglass. The shop vac would work fine for now. You can never catch all the dust but we have to attempt to get as much as possible. I built a dust collector with a 2hp motor and a 6" main trunk line coming in the shop, even with it the fine dust that is produced while sanding with a drill and the lathe running it is hard to get it all. So where a dust mask or a face shield that has a filter/fan if you want to keep more of it out of your lungs.

Good luck,

Jeff

Chris Huybregts
01-16-2009, 6:45 PM
Thanks Jeff, Fortunately, I have a ton of cardboard from the vortex recently :) I'll give that a whirl.

charlie knighton
01-16-2009, 6:49 PM
the dust is probably more dangerous than anything you will do with the lathe, if your studio is attached to house, like in basement, try to keep it out of furnace system :eek:

Chris Huybregts
01-16-2009, 6:54 PM
Hey Charlie, my shop is in my attached garage. As my wife/dog go in and out, I'd like to keep the dust down as much as I can. well, that and my own health of course!