PDA

View Full Version : first attempt at a finial

David Christopher
01-16-2009, 6:22 PM
this project is not finished yet but was wandering what y'all think... keep it.... change it.... through it away

Pete Jordan
01-16-2009, 6:25 PM
Looks Good!

How did you get it so shiny?

Jon Behnke
01-16-2009, 7:57 PM
In my uneducated opinion I think it's too big for the piece. I'd like to see a picture of the piece without the finial, it has a nice shape and form. I think a much smaller finial would accent the piece better.

Chris Haas
01-16-2009, 9:26 PM
looks better than my first finial. tried to get it to small, ended up with just a lid, no finial. oh well.

Jim Kountz
01-16-2009, 9:56 PM
Hey looking good! Now make them thinner and thinner and thinner,.....................!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Looks pretty good. I think it is a little to tall for the piece and needs thinned at the bottom. That will come with practice and time. Cindy Drozda has a excellent DVD on doing finials.

Jon Lanier
01-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Nice... just need to practice that thing... smaller and smaller....etc.

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Pretty nice so far! What are the woods you are working with? Amazing finish on the finial!

The form on a finial is something we all struggle with. The one design aspect of finials we all agree on is thinner is usually better. The top part of the finial looks great! If anything, I would suggest a little more definition between the elements and to taper the finial bottom so that it is part of the hollow form instead of sitting upon it.

I'm no expert when it comes to this... check out Neal Addy and Keith Burns to get some additional finial design ideas!

Bill O'Conner
01-17-2009, 2:54 AM
I'm not sure what it is but something looks wrong. if it's because it doesn't blend with the base or if it's too big on the bottom. I wouldn't pitch it but maybe use it on another piece and make a new one for this piece

Bill

David Christopher
01-17-2009, 9:31 AM
thanks guys, I also think it is to big for the piece, just was playing around to see if I could make one. I have a trailer full of red ceder so thought I would make one and didnt like the contrast with pecan so put black lacquer on it and polished. maybe the next one I can get smaller