PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Doin's?

Chris Padilla
06-25-2004, 5:14 PM
Since Bob and lately Dennis have been lax it starting this thread and we don't want Tyler wandering around aimlessly (that could be dangerous!!:eek: ), I thought I'd kick this off albeit a bit late....

I should be able to finish up the cyclone install completely this weekend and hopefully get back to my garage gut.

My neighbor's son is an electrician and I hope to hire him as a consultant on my garage rewire but I gotta get my butt over there and talk to him. My working vacation starts 5 pm, July 9! :D

Whatchoo all got goin' fer the weekend?? :D Play it safe and sound and don't rush and have a safe one!

Kevin Arceneaux
06-25-2004, 5:17 PM
It is supposed to rain here most of the weekend and since part of my woodworking area is my driveway,........

Oh well, I got a couple of new things to work up senarios for, so I guess it will have to do. Maybe Sunday afternoon it will dry out enough to at least use the saw and such a little.

John Olson
06-25-2004, 5:42 PM
Big suprise a got a couple of boxes to work on. I laminated up a couple of tops and now have to build the boxes around them.

Dan Stuewe
06-25-2004, 6:32 PM
I get to spend a few hours at the Orange, CA Rockler for the Freedom Pens Turn-a-thon. Looks like fun. They are going to have folks from a couple clubs as well as some of the kids from local High Schools. They also said Marines from Camp Pendelton will be there.

Tyler Howell
06-25-2004, 7:16 PM
Thank God!!! Oh sorry, thank Chris. I can plan ahead. Already started with some tile work. The end is near! Had the adventure of visiting one of Creeker Steve Wilson's recommended sites. A tool store that specializes in used, domestic and commercial toyls There was a 42" three phase band saw I wanted to bring home, (bright blue green) stood about 9 feet tall, but it just wouldn't fit in the truck. Nothing like the smell of cosmolene (sp) in the morning.

Going to run down to Rockler and try my hand at the dark side FPP TAT.

Going to hang some recycled kitchen cabs in the shop (French cleats of course) laminating some white oak for work station tops in the shop. A little 240VAC for a future gloat:cool: . A little playing in the dirt and a wedding on the other side of the state.

Thanks Chris, It's a plan.;)

Tyler Howell
06-25-2004, 7:20 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Padilla]
My neighbor's son is an electrician and I hope to hire him as a consultant on my garage rewire but I gotta get my butt over there and talk to him.

Thanks Chris! We'll both sleep better.;)

Chris Padilla
06-25-2004, 7:37 PM
Yep, I'm gonna go by the book more or less...pull permits, talk to pros, get inspected and hopefully signed off with a big Tyler-ish smile! :)

Glad you have a plan to keep you out of trouble this weekend...next weekend is a 3-day one!! :eek:

Rich Konopka
06-25-2004, 7:56 PM
This weekend, I have a drill press to assemble and a MM16 to move into the shop. I also have some framing and a door to hang. I also have a bookcase that needs some paint( Ughhh ... don't ask it was the LOML idea).

Shop Vacation starts next Friday and hope to have the shop fully framed and wired by then.

Have a Wonderful Weekend !!

Jim Becker
06-25-2004, 8:59 PM
Probably the normal grass cutting followed by some work on finishing the bubinga platter as well as the walnut buffet. I will also be playing with the new Adria dovetail saw just for grins. I may also do some things around the house that have been hanging on for too long...

Tyler Howell
06-25-2004, 9:21 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Padilla]
Glad you have a plan to keep you out of trouble this weekend...
Correction: This is 3 day weekend. Next is a 5.
Now I didn't say I was going to stay out of trouble? That trip to the Wedding is in a Super Stretch Limo/moblie home/party barge. Pro driver. Well stocked bar,galley, and empty working head. :cool:
This is the 5th time around for an old friend and a bunch of us wanted to be in "the right frame of mind" :rolleyes: for her nuptuals (sp). She wanted to come with us. But had to do the bridely things...... We wanted her to come with us too!
PS. These are all singles 1/2 men 1/2 women (all in the emergency medical field:eek: . Doc, 4 nurses, bunch of firefighters, paramedics and 1 cop) all looking for adventure.
It's 8:00. I'm going to head to bed now..... so I'll be well rested.:D

Fred Voorhees
06-25-2004, 10:34 PM
Well, after having waited around for a professional electrician to come and do my rough wiring for the lighting for my anticipated two car attached garage conversion, I have decided to do it myself. Went out over the past day or so and purchased all of the "stuff" to get the job underway and should get a bit of the rough-in done tomorrow before heading out for the weekly Saturday night dirt track big block modified racing. Sunday morning is slated for a five hour drift down the Delaware River for some bass fishing with my bro and my nephew along with our cousins husband. Keeping the fingers crossed that tonights rain doesn't spoil the trip.

Here is a nice bass from two weeks ago.

Dennis Peacock
06-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Since Bob and lately Dennis have been lax it starting this thread and we don't want Tyler wandering around aimlessly (that could be dangerous!!:eek: ), I thought I'd kick this off albeit a bit late....
Whatchoo all got goin' fer the weekend?? :D Play it safe and sound and don't rush and have a safe one!

Howdy Chris.....

You gotta remember.....<b>Lasley</b> does the Weekend Doin's and <b>I</b> do the Weekend Accomplishments. I guess since I'm almost a neighbor to my Ol' Buddy Lasley....I should pick up the slack.!!!!

I only have two words for this weekend. Can <b>anyone</b> guess what those two words would be? :confused: :D

Jim Ketron
06-25-2004, 11:17 PM
Could it be ON Call!:( Dennis that sucks I always hated when i was on call .
I will try to do some more pens, and watch the rain fall
Jim

Bruce Page
06-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Saturday I'll be doing some yardwork:( and hopefully a little playing in the shop. Sunday we will be at my daughter's celebrating my granddaughters 1st birthday. :D

Dennis Peacock
06-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Could it be ON Call!:( Dennis that sucks I always hated when i was on call .
I will try to do some more pens, and watch the rain fall
Jim

Awh Jim......You guessed it.!!!!! Yea, On Call in the IT industry really takes a lot out of a person. Especially when you work from 8AM on Friday until 8AM Monday fairly close to non-stop and that's AFTER you have already worked 42 to 60 hours Monday through Thursday! If my estimates are correct, I manage data backups that will total somewhere around <b>450 Terabytes</b> of data. This will be using several servers (large scale BTW) and somwhere around 325 tape drives that are DLT, SDLT Type I and Type II as well as LTO and Ultra LTO tape and drives. I'm just glad I don't have to work on every server and backup device we have.....over 500 Unix servers (all large scale) and well over 1,000 tape devices. We also manage just under 2 Million backup tapes.

So you can see, I have my work cut out for me. The pager has been quiet so far, but backups will start rolling any time now and that's when the pager starts a talkin' to me.

Glad when Monday at 8AM gets here.!!!

John Miliunas
06-26-2004, 12:47 AM
Dennis, I have no clue what they pay you, but I'll bet MY next paycheck that it isn't enough! Best of luck! :) (Just keep dreamin' about that PM lathe! :D )

For me, it's a visit Sat. morning from my best bud, grass cutting, possibly a trip to the big Spring Green Art Fair and hopefully, a little shop time. Need to get the area prepped a bit for the incoming DJ-20, which I found out, is due on Tuesday! :D Have a GREAT weekend, all! :cool:

Dennis Peacock
06-26-2004, 1:39 AM
Dennis, I have no clue what they pay you, but I'll bet MY next paycheck that it isn't enough! Best of luck! :) (Just keep dreamin' about that PM lathe! :D )

For me, it's a visit Sat. morning from my best bud, grass cutting, possibly a trip to the big Spring Green Art Fair and hopefully, a little shop time. Need to get the area prepped a bit for the incoming DJ-20, which I found out, is due on Tuesday! :D Have a GREAT weekend, all! :cool:

John,

It's less than what you may think. Oncall pay is $125 GROSS for each week you are oncall. I net around $85 for a full 7 days of oncall duty. Last time I averaged this out? I made $1.17 per hour. I'm rollin' in the money Honey.!! :D

BTW, Congrats to you on the new in coming DJ-20. I'm envious!!!! ;)

David Klink
06-26-2004, 2:25 AM
No shop work Saturday or Sunday. Saturday's our granddaughter's 4th birthday party, and Sunday I need to do some cleaning in the basement. Some stuff is going to go for sure!(I tell myself.)

Tyler Howell
06-26-2004, 5:31 AM
Ohhh Mannn Dennis,

It hurts Just thinking about it. I remember eating chile or the like to upset my stomach so I would stay awake and going during those on call shifts. "jet propelled:eek:: Say why don't you come to the wedding??? I'll tell them your my Bro from down South. I guarrentee this will cure you or kill you!;)

Tim Morton
06-26-2004, 6:54 AM
Well after spending all week installing and filling our new pool, then yesterday firing up the filter and getting all the chemicals right, I plan on sitting here watching the rain pour down for the next 40 days and 40 nights,,,, :mad:

Thomas Prondzinski
06-26-2004, 8:08 AM
I'm headed to Rocklers TAT in Burnsville today. Figure I better turn some for the troops. I have been reading and wanting to get started but time seems to always run out.Then off to help shingle other side of friends garage. Tyler which Rockler will you be going to?

Tom

Tyler Howell
06-26-2004, 9:51 AM
[QUOTE=Thomas Prondzinski]I'm headed to Rocklers TAT in Burnsville today. Figure I better turn some for the troops. I have been reading and wanting to get started but time seems to always run out.Then off to help shingle other side of friends garage. Tyler which Rockler will you be going to?

Tom[/QUOTE
Tom,
Have one of the originals, first free standing built for the company here in the Minneapple, a few miles from my house. Disadvantage. I can spend money two easy when it's close.

John Miliunas
06-26-2004, 10:19 AM
John,

It's less than what you may think. Oncall pay is $125 GROSS for each week you are oncall. I net around $85 for a full 7 days of oncall duty. Last time I averaged this out? I made $1.17 per hour. I'm rollin' in the money Honey.!! :D

BTW, Congrats to you on the new in coming DJ-20. I'm envious!!!! ;)

Holy cats, Dennis! That truly blows! There used to be four of us oncall for one week rotations. One of the guys got a different position on campus and I volunteered to take his rotation until they found someone else. "Volunteered????..you say?" Yup. Our "oncall" consists of carrying the pager for the 7 days, but during the week, it's only two shifts per day (night shifts) and all 3 shifts for the weekends, for a total of 16 shifts. We're only oncall for server breakdowns on the main platform. In close to two years, I've been called twice and have physically had to go in to the shop exactly *zero* times! :D I won't make you feel worse by telling you how much we get paid for those oncall shifts. :rolleyes: It sounds to me like they don't have you "oncall", but have built your functionality into an integral part of their overall server maintenance. That should be a completely and totally integrated position for the system maintenance over there. To put it bluntly, me thinks you're getting the royal shaft! :mad: Good luck, my friend. I can only hope that at some point, you will reap the benefits of all your hard work! :cool:

Jim Becker
06-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Dennis, I agree with John. That said, the reality of employment these days, especially in IT, is that staff has been cut to the bone and folks almost always have to work far more hours, including undesirable hours, for the same or less money. I hope that starts to change so you can enjoy your weekends more often!

Rich Konopka
06-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Dennis, I agree with John. That said, the reality of employment these days, especially in IT, is that staff has been cut to the bone and folks almost always have to work far more hours, including undesirable hours, for the same or less money. I hope that starts to change so you can enjoy your weekends more often!
I agree with Jim and John. Working in IT really stinks. It has changed since the early 80's when I got in it. I see my customers cutting and cutting. We just got two new people in our group but they are based in India. Here's the kicker. I'm in pre-sales and they are to assist us in POC's, RFI's, Demo's, and etc... There goes two 100K jobs a year to a US Citizen. But on the flip side, I'm glad we have some help because we have been so busy. This is a good thing because I see IT spending picking up. Hang in there and hopefully the beeper stays quiet.

Greg Heppeard
06-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Just got back from a woodworking vendor trade show yesterday. Sorry guys, no pics :( . Seems like no one has come out with much new...no new Delta, DeWalt, PC, or anyone really. A couple of vendors said that they had some things in the works, but declined to elaborate. One thing I did find interesting was the Rikon booth. I was impressed with their 18" bandsaw and the 6" jointer. They did get a good review in Fine Woodworking a while back. Some other smaller hand tool vendors had some new things; Kreg--new drawer install tool; General Finish--new line of gel stains and milk paint; and a few others that slip my mind at the moment. I had to visit well over a hundred vendors in about 10 hours, so, it will take a day or two to get all the info processed. I did get to meet one of the main guys from Sorby, and talked with him about doing some FREE demo's in Tulsa and OKC later this fall...done deal and will release more details when we work them out. I can tell you that he will be doing 3 three hour demos each day, both places. I can only find one thing that I really hated about the show...nothing big followed me home this year :eek: . Oh well...there's always next year and I had to let someone else make the big haul this year since I had mine last year :D .

keith zimmerman
06-26-2004, 3:53 PM
Tyler, where in Minneapolis are you located? I spend a lot of time in South Minneapolis these days as I am seeing a woman living there. I'm heading that way next week and would love to get together with another wood person to talk wood and visit.

keithz

Tyler Howell
06-26-2004, 5:38 PM
Tyler, where in Minneapolis are you located? I spend a lot of time in South Minneapolis these days as I am seeing a woman living there. I'm heading that way next week and would love to get together with another wood person to talk wood and visit.

keithz
Keith,
Run for your life:eek: , Those South Minneapolis Women are very dangerous! Just when you think you know what's, what Bam out cold, broke, and limpin.:o
But you sure had some fun:D .
Keith PM me buddy. I live bye the lakes if that helps, ....... Not far from the Rockler Store:p
Will be in town part of the weekend.

Steven Wilson
06-27-2004, 12:56 AM
[b][i] A tool store that specializes in used, domestic and commercial toyls There was a 42" three phase band saw I wanted to bring home, (bright blue green) stood about 9 feet tall, but it just wouldn't fit in the truck. Nothing like the smell of cosmolene (sp) in the morning.

So you liked Tried and True Tools. I hit that place at least once a month, there's always something interesting.

Tyler Howell
06-27-2004, 5:44 AM
So you liked Tried and True Tools. I hit that place at least once a month, there's always something interesting.
Wow Steve Fun place, TX
Didn't catch the short (my size) curly haired guy's name but he was very knowledgable and intersting to talk to. Brought a few trinkets home. Nothing you need a fork lift for......Yet;)