PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft vs Woodline...

Michael T Baker
01-16-2009, 5:07 PM
I'd purchased a large set of Woodline USA's router bits some time back to have some less expensive bits in the profiles I don't often use. For X-mas I got a large Woodcraft (not the newer Woodriver) router bit set. Don't need both. Anybody care to chime in on which set I should keep. The fit and finish on the Woodcraft are a littler nicer but I've gotten good results thus far from the few Woodlines I've used. Know the Woodlines are made in China and I think the Woodcraft's are made in Taiwan.

Brodie Brickey
01-16-2009, 5:24 PM
I can't speak for Woodline, but Woodcraft usually offers a 1 yr warranty on products they sell. If you haven't cracked it open, you could return it. Alternately, if it wasn't registered under your name in the woodcraft system, you might stop by the local WC and have them put it under your 'account'. That way if you have an issue, you can get bits replaced.

Michael T Baker
01-16-2009, 6:57 PM
Don't think the bits are returnable as they are the old Woodcraft branded bits that Woodcraft has pretty well cleared out to make way for their newly badged Woodriver line.

Ryan Baker
01-16-2009, 8:15 PM
Keep the Woodcraft bits, no question. I have used a number of the Woodline bits over the years and they are frankly pretty crappy bits. The grinds on the cutter wings often don't match up well, and they have a strong tendency to burn. You get what you pay for with them. The Woodcraft brand bits are actually pretty good. There are definitely better (and more expensive) bits out there, but the Woodcraft ones get the job done.

Jeff Bratt
01-16-2009, 8:17 PM
Me too, keep the Woodcraft bits.

Dave Falkenstein
01-16-2009, 11:32 PM
I cannot offer any input on Woodcraft bits. I have a number of Woodline bits and my experience is they are fine in a home shop for less used bits. I have burned up a couple of Woodline 3/4" straight bits cutting dados in plywood, but Woodline replaced them - no questions asked. Woodline has a LIFETIME warranty on bits - read the third paragraph here:

http://www.woodline.com/t-about.aspx

Jim Eller
01-17-2009, 7:28 PM
I guess I'm with Dave on this one.

I have a number of Woodline bits and they have served me well. I do clean them regularly and lube the bearing if they have one.

It's really hard to beat their service. If you have a problem or perceived problem, no questions asked. They basically do whatever it is to keep ya happy.

Give Wayne Sutter(co-owner) a call and he'll treat ya like a son.

Jim

Michael T Baker
01-18-2009, 5:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the lifetime warranty. I picked up the 66 (?) piece set a couple years ago on Amazon - when they had it for a ridiculously low price - pretty much for the profiles that don't get used enough to justify buying Amana or CMT (what I usually buy locally). I guess the Woodcraft set - minus a bit or two - will get passed along (probably to Habitat for Humanity on the next house I help out on).

scott spencer
01-18-2009, 6:07 AM
Router bits are a consumable....I'd keep both sets.

Dewayne Reding
01-18-2009, 9:18 AM
Router bits are a consumable....I'd keep both sets.

I'd probably do the same. And when you burn up both your 3/8 roundovers etc, you'll know for sure that is a profile you should pay the money for and get quality.

Wayne Sutter
06-05-2009, 1:32 PM
My name is Wayne Sutter. I am the president and part owner of Woodline USA. This is not intended as an advertisement only as an extension of the thread.

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words regardiing our products. I also want to help those that went the other way. We want to stand behind our products and will agressively work to resolve any issues. So if you have a problem with a Woodline product please give us a call. We can be reached at 800-472-6950. If the issue deserves it, my personal cell number is 615-498-6234. Do not hesitate to call me or any of our staff if you have an issue. Any company can have problems and even ocassionally make a just plain bad part, we believe it is how you handle it that makes the difference.

Thank you and I hope to see you all at the next wood working show in your area.

Larry Charlot
06-05-2009, 5:34 PM
Always great to hear when a company stands behind their product. thanks for the post.

Larry

David Christopher
06-05-2009, 6:11 PM
My name is Wayne Sutter. I am the president and part owner of Woodline USA. This is not intended as an advertisement only as an extension of the thread.

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words regardiing our products. I also want to help those that went the other way. We want to stand behind our products and will agressively work to resolve any issues. So if you have a problem with a Woodline product please give us a call. We can be reached at 800-472-6950. If the issue deserves it, my personal cell number is 615-498-6234. Do not hesitate to call me or any of our staff if you have an issue. Any company can have problems and even ocassionally make a just plain bad part, we believe it is how you handle it that makes the difference.

Thank you and I hope to see you all at the next wood working show in your area.

Now thats what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE

glenn bradley
06-05-2009, 6:56 PM
I'm with Scott. Router bits don't last forever. Why take a loss on selling them used when you could just use them yourself. However, we are all different and you certainly know if you want to keep them or not. If only keeping one I will joint the Woodcraft over Woodline crowd. I have used both.

Paul Ryan
06-05-2009, 8:29 PM
I have a set of woodline bits but have not used the woodcraft. I also have some peach tree bits that I was told were maufactured by freud. Personally I can't tell the difference. I have been very happy with my woodline bits and for the money I will purchase them again when they wear out.

Charlie Plesums
06-06-2009, 9:46 AM
I buy the Woodcraft bits when they are on $5 sale, and use them like disposable razor blades... they work fine, but sure don't last as long as Whiteside or other "good" cutters (but then they don't cost much either).

When I need a "special" bit, I go to Woodline... their selection and support are extraordinary - not only Wayne (who responded here) but his son, and the widow of the other founder, Mickey Thompson (who answered the phone one day when I called, and gave me great service), and all the other folks. My experience is that their quality is above Woodcraft, and some bits (such as the solid carbide cutters) are extraordinarily good and a great value.

I have also bought many shaper cutters from Woodline. They aren't as good as my $1700 cabinet door set, but at 10% of the cost, they are my first choice for "other" cutters.