PDA

View Full Version : Corel Powerclip problem

Dave Johnson29
01-16-2009, 4:39 PM
Hi All,

I wanted to see if my laser will do the 3D fish scales that Steve Wallace did such a magnificent job of.

I grabbed the .CDR for the grip outline and the fish scales from this thread...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1003880&postcount=9

I converted them both to version 10 and then selected the fish-scale and clicked Effects / Powerclip / Place inside container and then indicated one of the grips.

Problem is I can only see the fish scales through the grip screw holes. I have searched here on Powerclip and read 20+ posts but I still cannot get the fish scales to the front.

I even copied the grip lines to another layer, copied a fish scale to that same layer, I have tried To Front, To back, Grouping, Ungrouping, Converting Outline to Object and still no luck.

If I had hair I would have no hair by now. ;)

George Brown
01-16-2009, 4:58 PM
I could not find the outline of the grips you talked about, but make sure the outline of the grips and the screw holes are "combined" in corel. Then the image will fill the grips and not the screw holes when you powerclip it.

Dave Johnson29
01-16-2009, 5:09 PM
make sure the outline of the grips and the screw holes are "combined" in corel.

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply, but I still get the fish scales only peeping out of the holes. :) Maybe it is something weird with version 10. I'll email them to a friend with X4 to try.

Fish scales
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1004198&postcount=16

Blanks
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1005939&postcount=24

George Brown
01-16-2009, 5:47 PM
Two problems:

1. The components of the grip outline, excluding the holes, must be combined and the line ends joined. It has to be a closed curve. Then select the outline of the grip and the two holes, combine them. If you power clip that, it works, however....
2. The fish scales graphic is not tall enough to fill the handle all the way from top to bottom. If you turn the graphic 90 degrees, it will fill, but then the fish scales go in the wrong direction. In photopaint, you would have to create a new fish scale graphic that is twice as tall.

Dave Johnson29
01-16-2009, 6:44 PM
1. The components of the grip outline, excluding the holes, must be combined
2. The fish scales graphic is not tall enough

Thanks George,

I enlarged the corners and as you said, they do not hook up. I have tried using the Help and searching for online tutorials but I cannot make the corners Trim to a neat corner. I tried Intersect but Corel tells me that the two line do on overlap. Aaarrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I exported to DXF and loaded it into FastCAD and trimmed the corners fine. Corel did not export the circles in the DXF. <sigh> When I loaded the DXF back into Corel, the grips were about 8 inches tall.

Too hard. :mad::mad::mad: I quit. Time for a beer.

Thanks for trying.

Mike DeRegnaucourt
01-16-2009, 8:48 PM
Mmmmmm Beer! :D

George Brown
01-18-2009, 9:59 AM
Never quit, just drink more beer!!

Select all the individual components of the outline of the grip, do each grip seperately. Then click arrange, combine. Then select the node tool, now called the shape tool, it is the second one down on the left, or press F10 to activate it. Then click on the grip outline. Then draw a marquee, hold down the mouse button and draw a box, around one of the intersection points. This selects the two points. Then right click the intersection and from the drop down menu select "join". This joins the two end points. Do this for all the intersection points. This will turn the object into a closed path.

Dave Johnson29
01-18-2009, 1:08 PM
Never quit

Thanks George, I meant I was quitting for the day and that means beer time. ;)

Thanks for the detailed description but damn that is a lot of work to trim an intersection. Good thing my CAD program isn't like that. :)

Dave Johnson29
01-18-2009, 1:17 PM
Select all the individual components of the outline of the grip, do each grip seperately. Then click arrange, combine.

Wooo Hoooo. Thanks George. Worked a treat.

George Brown
01-18-2009, 9:39 PM
Once you get comfortable with corel, it only takes a few seconds.

Dave Johnson29
01-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Once you get comfortable with corel, it only takes a few seconds.

Thanks George, you are of course correct. It was a lot easier once I had done the first one. The description of the steps made it seem a lengthy process, but it really was only a couple of clicks per corner.