PDA

View Full Version : Edge Banding - What is the trick to measuring and cutting?

Sue Wise
01-16-2009, 3:57 PM
Here is the situation: I am edge banding a table top with 1/2 inch thick wood and using mitered corners. I am using my table saw with the blade tilted to 45 degrees and my Kreg miter guage.

I am actually using the table top to mark the measurement on the piece being cut. Now how to I figure out using my mark where to cut the wood. Where do I align my mark?

Does this make sense? Perhaps a better question would be how would you do this?

Thanks!

Scott Loven
01-16-2009, 4:22 PM
You are putting a 1/2 inch frame with mitered corners around a table top and you want to know how to cut the miters so that they fit tight? Is that right?
If that is right I would cut one of the long side miters first, clamp it to the top and mark the other miter and cut it a little long and sneak up on it. If I were good Worth a hand plane I would do it with a hand plane. I would probably then glue it on and do the next one.
Scott

Sue Wise
01-16-2009, 4:50 PM
I think my question is more like once you mark your piece, where do you align your mark? Normally on 90 degree cut I align my mark on the fence where the blade when through, but on a 45 degree, you can't do that. Do you align your mark with a tooth on the blade?

Joe Scharle
01-16-2009, 4:50 PM
Not exactly sure of the Q, but here's a suggestion. Run a 2 X 4 piece of scrap just thru the blade. Carefully pull back and mark the table using the bottom of the cut piece as a gage. Check the 2 X 4 for 45deg before doing this. 45.5 wouldn't hurt either. Now you know where the blade will strike the work. Like a picture frame, you're only concerned with the inside lenght because the outside will take care of itself. I have a good tape measure so I trust it with my cuts. But if you don't, you can lay your piece along the edge to be covered and make your marks. Cut, leaving the mark split.

Joe Chritz
01-16-2009, 7:34 PM
Goldilocks style.

This one is a little long, this one is better but not quite right, ahhh! just right.

Then attach that (either permanently or clamped) and cut the next a bit long and repeat. It is faster than doing pieces over.

Joe

John Schreiber
01-16-2009, 7:37 PM
Goldilocks style.
I keep cutting them a little long, then a little short, then I want the one which is just right, but I can't stretch the boards.

Sue Wise
01-16-2009, 8:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I just completed it and it fits perfectly. I put a small piece of blue tape on the table saw top, aligned my mark for just a bit longer than needed, cut, looked at the fit, and then pressed the cut against the blade with the saw off, brought it back, turned on the saw and boom, bang, bing, it fit perfectly. (After a few repeated times.)

I did not even need to use my extra piece. :)

Thanks for your help!