PDA

View Full Version : Had a disaster and looking for a bit of help

Bill Bolen
01-16-2009, 3:46 PM
I posted this Cherry NE bowl a week or so ago. It was my most pleasing yet and I was very happy with it. As I was bringing it upstairs to show the boss I notice that I had forgotten my branded signature block. After plugging in the branding iron I got to doing something else and I guess it got too hot. When I put the brand on to my horror the brand went all the way thru the 1/4" bottom and transferred to the interior! After I stopped crying I started thinking about a fix. I'm thinking of some sort of mahogny dye to cover this but just not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2009, 3:52 PM
Very sorry to see that happen! About the only thing I can think of that would hide the burn would be to ebonize the bowl. Should turn everything very dark but still be able to see the wood. I have not done the process myself - yet - so can't really advise as to steps to take. I would think after the solution dried you could lightly sand the wood and reveal a little more color.

Lots of luck with this one! Keep us informed as to what you do for a corrective action!

Brian Effinger
01-16-2009, 4:23 PM
That really sucks. :( Could you turn a recess in that area and inlay a piece of contrasting wood? Or even an alternate material?

Bill Bolen
01-16-2009, 4:24 PM
Steve, being that the bowl is danish oiled the ebonizing solution won't penetrate. I tried on a scrap piece of cherry. Put some DO on half. The next day I put the solution on and the unoiled side soaked it up but the side with the DO took hardly any at all..Bill..

David Christopher
01-16-2009, 4:33 PM
maybe you could lightly brand the inside in the same place and see what that looks like. just a thought

Bill Embrey
01-16-2009, 5:19 PM
Oh man, that's sad. Only thing I can think of is to inlay something there... or if you know someone who paints, might paint a little scene or something in it... or maybe some pyrography...

Bill (in OK)

Barry Stratton
01-16-2009, 6:18 PM
... or maybe some pyrography...

Thats what started the problem!

That stinks. Take a torch to the inside and call it "burnt toast".

Bleach. Paint. Dye. First step should be to strip that DO.

Good luck!

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 6:21 PM
William, You could try to lay out a design in the bottom to cover the burn and then take a woodburning pen and etch the design into the bottom. This would make it look like it was supposed to be that way! Or be real careful and cut our a star or something and inlay some veneer to add a contrasting wood. I can see the fixes in my head! But my head is full of stuff that never sees the light of day!!

Good luck on the fix,

Jeff

Stan Cook
01-16-2009, 6:59 PM
Finish the smiley face that is partially burned in the bottom ;)

Seriously though, burn a scene that somehow incorporates the little mishap. Or perhaps pierce the entire piece with hundreds of little irregular shapes and call it a basket.

Curt Fuller
01-16-2009, 7:03 PM
Start a new fad of signing bowls on the inside!

Tom Godley
01-16-2009, 7:11 PM
Put candy in it :)

I would try to do something different.

I saw a few very interesting bowls last weekend that were painted inside -- one that had part of it covered with silver leaf.

Try something different.

Mike Spanbauer
01-16-2009, 8:01 PM
Bill,

Before you do anything, this is Cherry Right?

UV will darken it, possibly significantly as long as it's not sap wood. I'm wondering how dark it may get? Might even be close to if not the same shade as the burn?

Any tanning studios you can buy a few minutes in? Should be a simple test and I've *heard* it working on cherry before.

Or, leave it outside if you're fortunate enough to get sunlight right now

Sorry to hear aboat that, that sucks :(

G'luck and let us know how it turns out.

Mike

Bill Embrey
01-16-2009, 8:26 PM
Finish the smiley face that is partially burned in the bottom ;)

Seriously though, burn a scene that somehow incorporates the little mishap. Or perhaps pierce the entire piece with hundreds of little irregular shapes and call it a basket.

Piercing.... that's a cool idea too!!

David Drickhamer
01-16-2009, 8:52 PM
This may sound a little far fetched but..... Try hitting the inside of the bowl with a torch to create some char and then sand the sides feathering down to the bottom.

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Bill - I don't see where you are taking a vote on the best course of action but I think David's idea of charring the inside slightly would work well and not ruin the natural look of the wood! Great idea and one I hope to remember!

Barry Stratton
01-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Here's my "burnt toast". A box elder bowl that got the "torch". It had some tearout that would just not go away.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/HPIM1966700x518.jpg

Bill Bolen
01-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions folks! A bunch of good ideas here. I know the sun will darken a bunch. I have done it before and forgot about it. If that is not enough then a torch'n I will go...Bill...