PDA

View Full Version : Confetti Lamp

Allen Schmid
01-16-2009, 2:52 PM
Purchased a jacobs chuck and forstner bit to turn a few of these lamps. Purchased on line, 4 to a pack...nice little project. This one is 3" plus tall and almost as round near the top...sorry can't remember what type of wood it is as it was destined for the burn pile and thought it might look better on the lathe! Antique oil finish
Thanks for looking
Allen

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 2:55 PM
Looks good! I think it is maple or birch. The little eyes in the wood lend me to believe it is birch.

Jeff

Allen Schmid
01-16-2009, 3:00 PM
Jeff,
Think you are correct as I had some birch from a log my BIL had dropped off and this might have been the last of it. I turned a bowl from the rest and those eyes do look familiar.
Allen

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2009, 4:04 PM
Nice little lamp Allen! Pretty wood - even a little curl in the photo on the left! Looks like a fun project!

David Christopher
01-16-2009, 4:39 PM
nice lamp, looks like maple to me but I dont know much. but I do know it looks good

Bill Embrey
01-16-2009, 8:46 PM
Those are cool Allen... I purchased a couple dozen of those little oil lamp inserts a while back and got addicted to turning those... laminate up some scraps and have a good time. One thing you might think about on these is to make the bases bigger so they aren't tippy. Wouldn't want to have it full and burning and tip over... nothing good is going to come from that.

Bill (in OK)

Ron Jones near Indy
01-16-2009, 9:08 PM
Those are nice lamps. These look like a good place to start trying some of the round stuff. Where do you purchase the lamp inserts? Thanks for your help.

Jim Kountz
01-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Nice project, I dont think Ive seen those before but I like them, good job!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2009, 10:23 PM
That is a great looking lamp Allen. Really nice finish.

Bill O'Conner
01-17-2009, 2:56 AM
Wal-mart has them in 2 differant sizes I picked up some but never got around to turning any yet

Bill

Bill Embrey
01-17-2009, 9:09 AM
Ron, Packard Woodworks has them under "Project Supplies, Candles"... $8.95 for 4. Rockler also has them, but they are $10.59 for 4. The dozen I got the first time was from a Light & Lamp website that no longer exists... and that's sad because they were .99 cents each if you ordered a dozen or more.

Bill (in OK)