PDA

View Full Version : Finish for a cherry coffee table

Shawn Siegrist
01-16-2009, 2:35 PM
I built a coffee table out of cherry and finished it with BLO, looked great for awhile, but keeping it clean and nice looking has been a problem. I've applied more BLO which looks really nice for awhile but after awhile the same problem happens. What can I put on the table now for a more permanent finish?

I've also made 2 1/4 casement molding and window sill out of lace wood, I also finished this with BLO. The window is at our sink and a few times water has gotten on the trim and left water marks. What can I put on the trim now for a more water resistant finish?

Thank you,
Shawn

Dave Novak
01-16-2009, 3:15 PM
In my humble opinion, BLO is a great 1st step in a finishing plan, but i've never considered it adequate by itself. I use it a lot, especially on woods like cherry to "pop" the grain/figure, but always follow it up with varnish. I really like Behlen's Rock Hard Table Top finish. It might be a good idea to lightly sand the whole thing again, give it another rub down with BLO, wait for it to adequately dry (time depends on how wet you leave it and the extent to which you thin the BLO), then varnish it.

Sue Wise
01-16-2009, 11:07 PM
I made a small wine rack out of cherry for a friend and I used Waterlox. It turned out great with a very nice satin finish. Waterlox is water resistant and easy to care for.