PDA

View Full Version : An urn with class

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 2:23 PM
With this one the vortex is strong!! I have been working on this one for a while and finally figured out how I wanted to finish it! The main body is made of spalted yellow birch with antique oil finish. The stopper is Tamboti that I got a a Rockler store on a 50% off table. It has great color and grain. I took a hint from William Bolen and put some feet on the base to finish off. The base is black walnut with a textured band. It is 11 1/2" tall and 6" wide

It may seem a little morose but it can just look pretty and not have some bodies ashes in it!

Thanks for looking!

Jeff

Bill Bolen
01-16-2009, 3:03 PM
I lke everry thing about it! Hope you have a special place to display it!..Bill..

Allen Schmid
01-16-2009, 3:04 PM
Jeff,
That is a great piece...the body is striking but the base really adds to the overall beauty of it with the feet and textured band...top notch.
Allen

Dan Oliphant
01-16-2009, 3:29 PM
Well done Jeff, great presentation, wonderful piece.

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2009, 4:12 PM
Pretty cool Jeff! Great looking combination of woods! Excellent finish! You need some place to display this!

Brian Effinger
01-16-2009, 4:19 PM
Very elegant. Great looking piece. I have to agree with you & Bill - the feet really add to the urn.

David Christopher
01-16-2009, 4:36 PM
very nice, love the colors

Gordon Thompson
01-16-2009, 4:45 PM
ALOT of class, that is beautiful

Wayne Bower
01-16-2009, 4:45 PM
Nicely done. I like everything, shape, colors.

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 6:25 PM
Thanks all! This piece was giving me fits as I could never come up with a way to make the main body look reagal! Then William posted the bowls with little feet and I saw the finished base! It had been sitting on the bench for 3 weeks just waiting so I am glad that it worked out! The Tamboti wood was wonderful to turn! I will try and find a larger chunk for a bowl and hollow form!

Thanks again,

Jeff

Jim Becker
01-16-2009, 9:33 PM
Jeff, I really like this piece...a lot.

Jim Kountz
01-16-2009, 9:54 PM
You nailed this one Jeff, Love the wood and the feet!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
That is a beauty Jeff. Well done.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-17-2009, 8:07 AM
It may seem a little morose but it can just look pretty and not have some bodies ashes in it!
Morose? Where did that come from? Turning this kind of item is wonderful. And by the way Jeff, Congrats! this one is one of the classiest I have seen...and I have seen a few. (It's the business I am in) As long as the volume capacity of the urn is sufficient this would be perfect to market to Independent Funeral Homes. Most Corporate owned and operated Homes have volume suppliers. Think about how the family would feel to have something Custom, Personalized, Individualized, and this unique. It is all about lasting Memories and Peace of Mind. If I were a woodworker or just a nature lover who had opted for cremation, my family would love something like this because it would speak to who I was and what I loved. Jeff, keep up the excellent work!:)

Jeff Nicol
01-17-2009, 9:34 AM
Chris, Thanks for all of that, I lost my mother a year ago and I was not able to get one made because it was so unexpected. I said morose as I did not want people to think that I was exploiting the use of an urn. Not sure how everyone would take it, but as I see by how you said it everyone understands. I have made a couple of other urns for a gentleman who contacted me through e-bay that had his dogs pass and wanted an urn for each of them. He was very happy and appreciative of the care and time I put into each one, so it makes so much sense when you say the family is happy to have a wonderful urn that holds there departed with dignity and grace.

Thanks again,

Jeff