PDA

View Full Version : Remember this one?

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 2:04 PM
Well, here is the hard maple burl piece I have been working on It has reached the next stage of completion. It is done but I am working on a different stand for it that will showcase the small ebony finial on the bottom and place the whole bowl in a place of prominence! I put the light maple disc in to show what the wood normally looks like when it is cut into boards and also to add contrast betweent the bowl and the ebony!

Let me know what you think so far!

Thanks,

Jeff

Allen Schmid
01-16-2009, 2:13 PM
Jeff,
That is beautiful, really. I like the accent colored filler you used, it helps highlite the great grain that is swirling throughout. Small but effective finial on the cap. Very nice job.
Are you starting to thaw out up there? My neighbor had -30 on his thermometer this am, I didn't look at ours as I knew it wouldn't be much better. Tomorrow we hope to hit 20 above...great!
Keep warm and keep 'em coming...
Allen

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 2:26 PM
Allen, the little finial is on the bottom of the bowl. I am making a really spectacular stand for the bowl so it you will be able to see the bottom while it is suspended by the base. I am still working on it and will put it all together soon!

Yes we are thawing out and it feels good! It was -27 here with 5-10mph wind so very bitter cold! It is up to a whopping 8 above now!

Thanks for all your kind words!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
01-16-2009, 4:16 PM
Very interesting design so far! Looking forward to seeing the finished version - meaning in place on it's new stand. Should be unique!

David Christopher
01-16-2009, 4:28 PM
Jeff, that is beautiful. I love the color and the contras between the body, lid and finial beautiful work

BTW what did you use for the filler

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 6:46 PM
The bowl is sitting in a stand and the finial is in the bottom of the bowl. I am making a new stand that will hold it up off the table to show off the bottom with the light maple and ebony finial. So the finial and the light maple are not a lid or top. Sorry if I have confused more of you! I should have taken a picture of the inside too!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Jeff that is a beauty. I really like the form and finish.