PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Electrical Outlet Marking

Dave Johnson29
01-16-2009, 1:21 PM
Hi All,

I'd like to make up some samples to show around to the local electrical contractors. Last time I visited a Hospital, I remember seeing markings on the wall switch plates and outlets but can't remember exactly what sort of information was on them.

Does anyone have a few pics of marked wall plates, preferably with Building Code markings.

Thanks for any help. Oh, I did a search here and either came up blank or about a zillion hits.

Bruce Volden
01-16-2009, 2:39 PM
Dave,

I've done MANY stainless steel switchplates / receptacles for contractors here in S.D. The only thing they have requested is numbers associating electric panels with their proper circuit breaker. I do these with Cerdec (Cermark) and they have been very happy over the years with how the mark is holding up (like new)!! Does this help??

Bruce

Dave Johnson29
01-16-2009, 3:19 PM
The only thing they have requested is numbers associating electric panels with their proper circuit breaker.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply, but exactly what do the numbers look like? I mean is there a standard format for them as in...

Floor 3, Panel 5, Breaker 7 might be something like...

3: P5-7

I was wondering if there was a Building Code format for this stuff.

The nearest Hospital is a 60 mile round trip so I am not nuts about that to check them out. :):)

Scott Shepherd
01-16-2009, 3:48 PM
Dave, shut your head in the car door and you'll get a free ride to the hospital, along with a free tour of the rooms and their labels :D Only kidding of course :)

Dave Johnson29
01-16-2009, 4:41 PM
Dave, shut your head in the car door and you'll get a free ride to the hospital, along with a free tour of the rooms and their labels :D

Only kidding of course :)

Ow, I wish I had read all of your post before doing the first part. :eek:

Anthony Scira
01-16-2009, 5:38 PM
Usually its just panel number and breaker number (L2B - 36)

The only problem I have had was that some hospitals require red lettering which you can not do using cermark. So you need to really engrave and color fill.

And being an electrician working for a company working in hospitals I can't compete with the prices they are getting. I think it was 3 bucks a plate and that included the stainless plate.

Not worth the time to me.

Dave Johnson29
01-16-2009, 6:48 PM
Usually its just panel number and breaker number (L2B - 36)
I can't compete with the prices they are getting.

Thanks Anthony,

Good point, thanks, I had not thought about pricing. I am still trying to find my niche and stabbing at anything and everything.

Frank Corker
01-16-2009, 7:48 PM
Dave, shut your head in the car door and you'll get a free ride to the hospital, along with a free tour of the rooms and their labels :D Only kidding of course :)

Oh come on now, you know they don't send you to hospital for a bump on the head, no Dave what you have to do is wet your fingers and put them into the live socket. This almost always gets you a trip to the hospital and a nice new hairstyle!

Mike DeRegnaucourt
01-16-2009, 8:33 PM
As Anthony mentioned about the red text, I found it stated in the following link as well.
http://uuhsc.utah.edu/eng/design/section9-2.htm

I wonder if it is permitted to put small Rowmark style labels on the plates? I recall being somewhere that used this type of label. I just can't remember if it was in a hospital where I saw them.

Anthony Scira
01-16-2009, 9:28 PM
The marking has to be of the engraved kind that can not come off so rowmark is not possible.

All hospitals I have been at require stainless steel wallplates. If they allowed the plastic jobs that works well since you can colorfill.

Heck I can't even compete making tags for the panel. There is a guy that does them for like 2 bucks each. That is REALLY not worth my time !

Angus Hines
01-16-2009, 9:37 PM
Corian...laser engraved and color filled meets the sanitary specs for hospitals.....Just a thought.

Anthony Scira
01-16-2009, 10:12 PM
"Corian...laser engraved and color filled meets the sanitary specs for hospitals.....Just a thought."

Right now we are doing a remodel on a hospital in Los Angeles. All the receptacles are specked out in the plans as stainless steel.

So although the corian may meet sanitary spec's they would not be allowed to be used in this hospital. And more and more hospitals are going the stainless route.

And I will say inspectors catch EVERYTHING.

But there are rumors that they are working on a red cermark.............

James Stokes
01-17-2009, 12:16 AM
I have not tried it but someone said they used rub and buff on the ceramark after engraving to change color.

Mike Null
01-17-2009, 4:27 AM
James

It's not likely that Rub n Buff will stand up to the cleaners used daily in the hospital.

My minimum for control panel labels is $3 and I don't have any problem getting business.

Mike Null
01-17-2009, 4:28 AM
James

It's not likely that Rub n Buff will stand up to the cleaners used daily in the hospital.

My minimum for control panel labels is $3 and I don't have any problem getting business.

Dave Johnson29
01-17-2009, 9:25 AM
Thanks guys, I think I will pass.

Now where did I put that niche?