PDA

View Full Version : If saws could talk

Jim Paulson
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi Guys,

I purchased an old saw, but had no idea that I would learn so much about it. It is a well worn 14 inch sash/tenon saw that has obviously seen better days. The damaged handle is walnut but features a medalion on the right side not the left. I've never seen that one before. Was it was replaced and put on the wrong side? :confused: The medalion is for Atkins and stamped 1887. No other information is stamped on the back or etched on the blade. In disassembly I found not just a couple broken bolts/nuts, but a saw plate with two sets of three holes. Also, a crack runs horizontally in the saw plate between two of the holes. The steel back intially covered over some of the holes until I removed it and learned the situation.

Since I've never torn a saw apart this far. I got the courage to do it thanks to you folks. Now I'm wondering what my options are. Should I scrap the hole deal, make a new saw with the solid back, or maybe even consider welding the crack in the plate. Does the crack even matter? Welding would mean re tempering it later of course.

Any thoughts?:D and yes I included pictures this time.;)

Jim (aka: jim the chairmaker)

Robert Rozaieski
01-16-2009, 1:11 PM
If it mounts solidly it will probably work fine. Try it and if it does't work out you can always recycle the bolts handle and back and make a new plate from some 1095 spring steel. I'd try it out first though before scrapping it. One note though. It looks liek the previous "repair man" put the back on backwards. I think the upward curve should be at the toe of the saw.

Bob

Alan DuBoff
01-16-2009, 1:44 PM
Looks to me like it would would as-is, but you can also try something like jb-weld, it might work, not sure. Silver solder might work also, not sure.

Short of that, a new plate as Robert suggests would be in order.

Jim Paulson
01-16-2009, 3:09 PM
Alan,

Thanks for that suggestion. My cheapie stick welder would probably melt it otherwise so it makes sense that silver solder might bond the steel sufficiently with less chance to deform the metal. I have used jb-weld before.

Alan and Robert,

Can you mention any sources for 1095?

Thanks,
Jim

Robert Rozaieski
01-16-2009, 3:17 PM
Can you mention any sources for 1095?

Thanks,
Jim

Mcmaster Carr has it in various widths and lengths.

Jim Paulson
01-16-2009, 3:45 PM
Thanks Robert,

Say did you post some pics on your spring pole lathe? I'd love to see them. My latest development on the spring pole lathe was to mount a 20 foot long pole on the garage ceiling per Robin Wood's suggestion. It works great even if the joists creak. ;)

I have great spring action as the pole goes from 1-1/2 inches diameter to about 4 inches. It is a bit cold out there right now.

Jim

Jim Paulson
01-16-2009, 3:49 PM
Heh Robert,
Saw it on your new toy thread. Great job!

Jim

Tim Leo
01-16-2009, 5:47 PM
Hi Guys,

It is a well worn 14 inch sash/tenon saw that has obviously seen better days.

Jim (aka: jim the chairmaker)

Maybe you could shorten the saw a couple of inches to avoid the cracked area?

Ian Gillis
01-16-2009, 6:58 PM
Poor little devil looks like I sharpened it :(

Ian

Jim Paulson
01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Heh Ian,

Good one. Sharpening teeth is definitely a humbling thing. Having a steady hand seems to help.

Fortunately, I haven't taken a file to the teeth yet. Besides the blurry state of the picture the initial couple inches are also finer teeth.

Take care,
Jim

Tim,
I have given some thought to shortening the saw. It remains among my options. Thanks.