PDA

View Full Version : Decoration fair & LaserTile first public appereance

onur cakir
01-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi !

Here are some photos from Villa Decoration Fair in Istanbul last week.

I've presented LaserTile products and my other engraving products for first time to public.

'Cause of economic depression on all over the world the fair was not so crowded but my place was the crowdest stand in the fair ! (hit to wood)

Architechts were crazy about LaserTile products ;)

onur cakir
01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Here is an overview of my stand and my first panel with lasertile.

DaVinci panel is 15"x47"

No photograv
600 DPI S65 P60

big size img;

www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3114.JPG
www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3128.JPG (http://www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3128.JPG)

onur cakir
01-16-2009, 11:03 AM
And here is my Bouguereau panel, regards to Frank :)

15" x 55"

No photograv
600 DPI S65 P60

big size img;

www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3141.JPG (http://www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3141.JPG)

Tim Bateson
01-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Nice work. How long does it take to laser all the pieces for something that large?

onur cakir
01-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Chess table

23" x 23"

Cream natural marble (2 pieces) engraved and filled with acrylic paint. Than applied "fixative" a kind of lacquer in aerosol format.

If anyone needs .cdr file of this project i would love to send it. Just contact me please.

big size img;

www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3131.JPG (http://www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3131.JPG)

onur cakir
01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
my floor panel;

70" x 70" black granite (18 pcs)

No photograv

600 DPI S70 P100

big size img;

www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3132.JPG (http://www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3132.JPG)

onur cakir
01-16-2009, 11:15 AM
girl in marble

cream natural marble engraved and filled with acrylic paint. Than applied "fixative" a kind of lacquer in aerosol format.

12" x 24"

big size img;

www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3129.JPG

onur cakir
01-16-2009, 11:17 AM
and my sublimation project :D

31" x 49"

big size img;

www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3127.JPG (http://www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3127.JPG)

onur cakir
01-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Nice work. How long does it take to laser all the pieces for something that large?

Thank you Tim, well as far as i remember for one 8" tile with my settings 600 DPI S65 P60 it took around 20 minutes.

So for 24 tiles around 8 working hours.

Margaret Turco
01-16-2009, 11:29 AM
These are all lovely examples! No wonder everyone was interested in your products. After you put in so much time on these, I hope you get many orders!

On the granite floor panel, did you color fill the areas that are more white?

Good luck!

onur cakir
01-16-2009, 11:35 AM
These are all lovely examples! No wonder everyone was interested in your products. After you put in so much time on these, I hope you get many orders!

On the granite floor panel, did you color fill the areas that are more white?

Good luck!

Thank you Margaret, i hope i ll have orders soon because with time i spend a fortune for those products :D

i didnt used any color filling for granite. Those are cheap black granites from China. The reason that i use "cheap" granite is "absolute gray" comes out when you engrave it.

Pete Simmons
01-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Not surehow you get the image into the tiles in Corel but I have found

1. Set up a grid of the size tiles you use.

2. Power Clip your image onto/into the grid.

3. Select a few tiles at a time to engrave.

Assures perfect alignment and is quick and easy.

Mike Null
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Onur

Thank you for sharing your splendid work. It is the best I've seen and I'm sure you'll have success selling it.

Dave Johnson29
01-16-2009, 1:05 PM
Beautiful work Onur,

I hope you have great success, you deserve it for the effort, skill and talent that you have put into those projects.

I envy your skills.

Frank Corker
01-16-2009, 2:03 PM
Beautiful work!

onur cakir
01-16-2009, 3:37 PM
Beautiful work Onur,

I hope you have great success, you deserve it for the effort, skill and talent that you have put into those projects.

I envy your skills.

Thank you :)

onur cakir
01-16-2009, 3:38 PM
Beautiful work!

Thank you, maybe 3.000 people saw the tiles but only 1 noticed banding :D

Vic Harris
01-16-2009, 6:41 PM
GREAT WORK!!!! I envey your talent.

Frank Corker
01-16-2009, 7:45 PM
Thank you, maybe 3.000 people saw the tiles but only 1 noticed banding :D

Onur, this is very normal with laser engravers, we all worry too much about little things that most buyers would not even notice until you point it out.

Mike DeRegnaucourt
01-16-2009, 8:01 PM
Onur,

Are most of the tile projects you showed, done using the special LaserTiles (product from 3 Score, Inc.)? Or were they just regular (uncoated) tiles? I've looked at the 3 Score tiles but were a tad pricey, especially if doing a large wall tile mural.

Regardless, I think you did a great job!

Andrey Anfimov
01-17-2009, 2:53 AM
Onur,
it is VERY VERY NICE work!

I have one question to you because it is very big problem for me. Marble is very heavy material.
How do you attach your works from marble on a wall? Do you use cement, glue and etc?

If you looking for new ideas for your projects please look here.
http://www.laserdecor.ru/interior.php?PHPSESSID=bf3612624f31a8f3f339e76664a 91e97 (http://www.laserdecor.ru/interior.php?PHPSESSID=bf3612624f31a8f3f339e76664a 91e97)
They have big laser with working area 1.8 x 3.5 m.
May be it is your future? 8-)

Good luck!

onur cakir
01-17-2009, 4:20 AM
Hi Andrey,

Well i use Bison montage kit for installing heavy natural stones. I think its a great product because it's "first strength" is so powerfull and quick.

here is an example of the product;
http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=3772&strProductID=bmkyzqadhc&strWebTemplate=C

ps:i use it in bigger tube format

I loved your works !!!!! how did you managed to color the wall panel ? !!! :eek:

please send me pricing info for coloring a panel like that. Russia is not far away to Turkey :cool::D

Onur,
it is VERY VERY NICE work!

I have one question to you because it is very big problem for me. Marble is very heavy material.
How do you attach your works from marble on a wall? Do you use cement, glue and etc?

If you looking for new ideas for your projects please look here.
http://www.laserdecor.ru/interior.php?PHPSESSID=bf3612624f31a8f3f339e76664a 91e97 (http://www.laserdecor.ru/interior.php?PHPSESSID=bf3612624f31a8f3f339e76664a 91e97)
They have big laser with working area 1.8 x 3.5 m.
May be it is your future? 8-)

Good luck!

onur cakir
01-17-2009, 4:31 AM
Hi Mike,

Thank you, yes all the tiles (with pic. on) are from 3Score Inc.

I think its not so pricey even i paid a fortune for shipping&taxes to Turkey. I sold the DaVinci panel for 1.200$ (only 24 tiles used and took 8 working hours to finish)

But i have this advantage : no one ever seen this kinda products in Turkey :cool:

Onur,

Are most of the tile projects you showed, done using the special LaserTiles (product from 3 Score, Inc.)? Or were they just regular (uncoated) tiles? I've looked at the 3 Score tiles but were a tad pricey, especially if doing a large wall tile mural.

Regardless, I think you did a great job!

Andrey Anfimov
01-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi Andrey,

Well i use Bison montage kit for installing heavy natural stones. I think its a great product because it's "first strength" is so powerfull and quick.

here is an example of the product;
http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=3772&strProductID=bmkyzqadhc&strWebTemplate=C

ps:i use it in bigger tube format

I loved your works !!!!! how did you managed to color the wall panel ? !!! :eek:

please send me pricing info for coloring a panel like that. Russia is not far away to Turkey :cool::D

Onur, it is not my work. :D
Ok, I am russian man, but now I am living in Egypt. More close to Turkey than Russia. :D:D
I think the price for that works very hight because this is moscow company.
Moscow is not a cheap city. :(

Thank you for advice. I'll try to use Bison montage kit.

Good luck!

John W. Love
01-17-2009, 2:00 PM
Onur, your work is spectacular! I am sure you will receive a lot of business from your trade fair. I can't wait to see more of you work as you create it! Good Luck and may the winds of fortune blow your way.

Anthony Welch
01-17-2009, 5:49 PM
Great work there Onur Cakir. If I may ask? What is the process of securing and piecing the tiles together? What did you attach the tiles to, cement backer board, plywood...etc. Did you grout between tiles and if so what colors and how did you come to choosing those colors?

Anthony

onur cakir
01-17-2009, 5:53 PM
Onur, your work is spectacular! I am sure you will receive a lot of business from your trade fair. I can't wait to see more of you work as you create it! Good Luck and may the winds of fortune blow your way.

Thank you John, may the force be with all of us :cool:

onur cakir
01-17-2009, 6:02 PM
Great work there Onur Cakir. If I may ask? What is the process of securing and piecing the tiles together? What did you attach the tiles to, cement backer board, plywood...etc. Did you grout between tiles and if so what colors and how did you come to choosing those colors?

Anthony

Hi Anthony, thank you.

I used "MDF panel"
building material that is made out of wood fibres that have been compressed together and bonded with synthetic resin adhesive
I didnt used grout because i used "BISON Montage Kit" for installing tiles on MDF. But if i had to use i would use absolute white color.

By the way a friend of mine told me that any tile expands with humidity. So thats why grout is mainly used for, leaving spaces between tiles to expand. But images looks better without grout....so what you think about that ? Do you all think grout is a must for installing tiles ?

Pete Simmons
01-17-2009, 6:06 PM
I use a sander with course grit to sand the tabs on the tile down.

Not all the way so there is still a little room to expand but enough so the images look better.

I use no grout. Instead I just use a adhesive like liquid nails to attach the tiles to a backing board.

Anthony Welch
01-17-2009, 7:48 PM
Yes I do believe the grout lines would take away from the "art" of it. And sanding the tabs down would be no problem at all.... for me.

But putting together a display is one thing. I don't plan on installing these as there are plenty of folks out there that do that. But, how should I tell an installer how these should be applied to a wall that is surrounded by non-lasered tiles and keep the art as it is intended to be. As into a tiled back splash, shower, etc...

Anthony

Jack Harper
01-17-2009, 9:39 PM
Yes I do believe the grout lines would take away from the "art" of it. And sanding the tabs down would be no problem at all.... for me.

But putting together a display is one thing. I don't plan on installing these as there are plenty of folks out there that do that. But, how should I tell an installer how these should be applied to a wall that is surrounded by non-lasered tiles and keep the art as it is intended to be. As into a tiled back splash, shower, etc...

Anthony

It is our policy to never never tell them how to install the murals. The minute you do, you become liable if something fails. Like you said, there are plenty of professionals out there to do the job. Let the client find the person and figure out the method. You have enough liability on your hands warrantying the engraving. Just my 2 bits.

onur cakir
01-18-2009, 4:29 AM
But, how should I tell an installer how these should be applied to a wall that is surrounded by non-lasered tiles and keep the art as it is intended to be. As into a tiled back splash, shower, etc...

Anthony

For wet areas i adviced architechts to use "betonite" a panel which is made of cement and thin metal bars. Its strong against humidity too. So they can apply the tiles on it and as a panel you have freedom to use it as a picture frame.

But if the tiles will be applied directly on standart tiles, i advice them to "notch" the standart tiles with a hammer and than install the tiles with Bison montage kit on notched areas.

And the most important thing is;

Remember to give number to back of your tiles with a cd marker from top/left to right.

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8...etc

So the installer will not have to solve a puzzle :confused:

Jackie McGowan
01-21-2009, 2:06 PM
These are very beautiful. I would like to see if I can do it but where can I get images in a high enough resolution to do a big mural like that? Does anyone know?

Pete Simmons
01-21-2009, 2:53 PM
Images for large tile murals

1. Any vector image you have - The Aztec Calander make a very nice large mural. I have done them up to about 5 x 5 feet for a wall. It is available here at SMC.

2. Laser Tile sells large images for about $150 each. I have done a Dolphin one that was about 100 meg in size. Made a very nice 3 x 4 foot image.

Jackie McGowan
01-21-2009, 3:17 PM
Thanks for the info Pete.

onur cakir
01-21-2009, 3:40 PM
These are very beautiful. I would like to see if I can do it but where can I get images in a high enough resolution to do a big mural like that? Does anyone know?

Hi Jackie, i can advice you to buy art books with high press quality. So you can get entire collection of an artist for a single image price.

Robert Gauntt
02-04-2009, 3:22 PM
Do you put anything on the granite after you laser it to protect it? What about sealer or some type of clear coat.

Robert Gauntt
02-04-2009, 3:27 PM
Do you put anything on the granite after you laser it to protect it? What about sealer or some type of clear coat. This message was for Onur Cakir or anyone else that could give me some advise.

:o Thanks

onur cakir
02-04-2009, 3:27 PM
Do you put anything on the granite after you laser it to protect it? What about sealer or some type of clear coat.

No, not for the show but i'm sure i'll have to apply some kind of dirt preservative and water resistant chemical on granite for customer products.

Robert Gauntt
02-04-2009, 3:30 PM
Do you put anything on the granite after you laser it to protect it? What about sealer or some type of clear coat. This message was for Onur Cakir or anyone else that could give me some advise.

:o Thanks

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

my floor panel;

70" x 70" black granite (18 pcs)

No photograv

600 DPI S70 P100

big size img;

www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3132.JPG (http://www.decodepo.com/depo/IMG_3132.JPG)

Jack Harper
02-04-2009, 9:28 PM
You will want to seal your work. Unsealed, the pores in the stone could absorb something that might stain it.

Richard Rumancik
02-05-2009, 11:15 AM
. . . i can advice you to buy art books with high press quality. So you can get entire collection of an artist for a single image price.

Onur, your work is excellent . . .

I'm not sure what you were suggesting in the above quote, however. Did you mean to buy a book and scan the images to use for lasering? In North America, that would likely violate copyright rules, as purchase of the book does not permit derivative works - unless the artist specifically gave permission to use the images in the book for other purposes.

onur cakir
02-05-2009, 1:39 PM
Onur, your work is excellent . . .

I'm not sure what you were suggesting in the above quote, however. Did you mean to buy a book and scan the images to use for lasering? In North America, that would likely violate copyright rules, as purchase of the book does not permit derivative works - unless the artist specifically gave permission to use the images in the book for other purposes.

Hi Richard, thank you.

Yes i was suggesting that but not for artists who are still alive :)

As far as i know you can freely use any artist's work after 70 years passed from his/her death.

Jackie McGowan
02-05-2009, 2:55 PM
Yes onur that is how I understand it too.... Below paragraph is the info from wikipedia.org. Also I have found some good public domain images on artrenewal.org

Since 1978

Before 1978, unpublished works were not covered by the federal copyright act. Rather, they were covered under (perpetual) common law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law) copyright. The Copyright Act of 1976 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Act_of_1976), effective 1978, abolished common law copyright in the United States so that all works, published or unpublished, are now covered by federal statutory copyright, with the exception of sound recordings fixed before February 15, 1972.[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain#cite_note-Pub135-7) The claim that "pre-1923 works are in the public domain" is correct only for published works; unpublished works are under federal copyright for at least the life of the author plus 70 years. For a work made for hire, the copyright in a work created before 1978, but not theretofore in the public domain or registered for copyright, subsists from January 1, 1978, and endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication, or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first.[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain#cite_note-8) If the work was created before 1978 but first published 1978–2002, the federal copyright will not expire before 2047.
Until the Berne Convention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_an d_Artistic_Works) Implementation Act of 1988, the lack of a proper copyright notice would place an otherwise copyrightable work into the public domain, although for works published between January 1, 1978 and February 28, 1989, this could be prevented by registering the work with the Library of Congress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Congress) within five years of publication. After March 1, 1989, an author's copyright in a work begins when it is fixed in a tangible form; neither publication nor registration is required, and a lack of a copyright notice does not place the work into the public domain.

Tom Ravenscroft
05-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi Onur

After having seen your work, I am trying to arrange to get some Laser Tile samples from 3Score as it would appear there is no distributor in Australia.

Can you tell me which tiles/ colours you would recommend as the most popular ones?

How many tiles did you have to import to Turkey to make it cost effective.

Thanks

Tom

onur cakir
05-31-2009, 9:03 AM
Hi Onur

After having seen your work, I am trying to arrange to get some Laser Tile samples from 3Score as it would appear there is no distributor in Australia.

Can you tell me which tiles/ colours you would recommend as the most popular ones?

How many tiles did you have to import to Turkey to make it cost effective.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom;

As lasertile was brand new for market here i prefered to use standart and Italian white ones first. I didnt liked the beige color so i didnt show them to my clients.

If you want them to be cost effective you should import them by ship in large quantities in. If you trust the product will sell its better to import once or twice a year by ship.

First i had to use UPS (not usps) shipping to get them on time to decoration fair and i paid a fortune for shipping :)

Than i tried by ship but because of trade laws in Turkey i had to pay a huge tax for them; so it almost came the same as UPS shipping.

As i sell them for a very high price here because there is no other rivals in Turkey i'm planning to import them box by box by UPS for this year. Maybe next year i will import them by ship to cover my whole year needs.

I think your strategy should depend on your import tax laws.

Tom Ravenscroft
05-31-2009, 7:32 PM
Thanks Onur

I will get some white samples and if they work well i will probably bring in a pallet load as a trial.

Australia seems to have reasonable taxes on imports, but the harbour clearing costs are a killer for small quantities.

I would estimate I can land them at 35 -40 % above the USA price if I only brought in 1 pallet and 25% for 2 pallets.

Regards

Tom

Brian Knuckles
07-23-2009, 1:07 PM
Hey Onur,

You stuff is very, very nice! How are things going with the sales of those images?

Are you targeting local builders or do you have a studio?

I just bought some lasertile & they were giving away free boxes of vector glass tile...check out what i did with it. This stuff is great to play with. So after burning through the free vector tiles, I went back and bought another box of vector-glass tile & some laser-glass tile.

They work about the same, the only thing with vector depending on the pattern I had to color fill it. however with the laser glass you don't have to it just burns a gray shade.
But what I did was I burned the laser tile had very high power and low speed 95/20 and 300dpi and i was able to burn through the white backing and color fill it...I must warn you though I did crack several tiles.

http://www.bearstats.com/images/LaserGlass.JPG

Steven Wallace
07-24-2009, 1:24 AM
I am just getting ready to do my first tile murial and can't image it turning out as nice as your work. I have hope. I can see why you had a crowd at your booth. Kudos to showing us all at SMC the possibilities out there. I wish you great success with your business.

onur cakir
07-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi Brian & Steven,

Thank you for you comments. Your laserglasses looks great !

Well its mid-summer right now. That means big hotel&restaurant renovation works are totally dead now.

Next month it will be Ramadan Month-so i'm expecting some movement for Restaurants.

During these days i was busy with home renovation works a lot. I'll post finished project pictures soon.

About lasser glass, it comes cheap to you as you all live in USA. It simply didnt worked for me because of shipping costs. I still sell lasertile but its like a "prestige product" for me.

So i sell mostly glass but from Turkey with x2 paint process. I think it has more advantage than laserglass because i can use up to 120 color variations and with laserglass its only 12.

I target on only arcitechts and industrial goods designers. I also own a small showroom for my products.