PDA

View Full Version : Wife's old tools (does NOT include me!)

Gene Howe
01-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Hey guys and gals, this may seem a little weird but, the LOML is discarding two items that have good, working motors. 1. a garbage disposal and, 2. a 14 amp. upright vacuum.

I'm a bit frugal and cannot bring myself to toss these items or simply give them away. Does anyone have any ideas for their use or, use for the motor(s) in the shop.

I will be eternally grateful for your input.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-16-2009, 11:23 AM
I can't tell you how many times I've pack-ratted something like that away only to toss it after years of doing nothing with it.

If the motor in the Disposal hasn't got a shaft you can attach a pulley to - - toss it.

Vacuum cleaner - - man they are filthy. Just toss it.

Peter Stahl
01-16-2009, 11:41 AM
I second that, you got your money's worth and not worth the trouble to reuse.

Gene Howe
01-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for your replies. Doggonit, anyway!:( I was hoping there was something I could do with a couple good motors. But, you are right about packratting stuff! Don't need more STUFF, that's for sure.

Mike Wilkins
01-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Toss them after cutting the power cord off next to the machine. I have a nice collection of power cords from deceased gadgets like this, which comes in handy for repairs to working machines later. This will satisfy your frugal nature and save some dollars later.

Jason Beam
01-16-2009, 1:13 PM
Boy that disposal's a tough one, though. Induction motors with a decent amount of power are always welcome in my place :D

I'd toss the vacuum - been there, done that. I kept one once .. tore it apart and then put the whole thing in the trash - there really wasn't anything I could use off it. Everything was molded and integrated that modification was tricky.

But that disposal ... i think i'd clear a little shelf space for that one. When ours gets replaced, i certainly will :D

David G Baker
01-16-2009, 3:45 PM
Have a garage sale and include them in it because there is always someone like me that will come along and buy them for a couple of bucks, fix them up and use them for years. I am trying to control my buying habits but don't always succeed. :D