PDA

View Full Version : Inside a Root Beer Float

Bill Grumbine
06-25-2004, 9:04 AM
Good morning all

For the past two afternoons I have been working on a chaise lounge for a customer. I am building it from sassafrass, which is a local wood for me, highly resistant to moisture and the elements. The stuff has a wonderful smell. Anyway, I was out yesterday morning attending to other business before settling into the shop for the afternoon's work, but I had the foresight to turn on the AC before I arrived to stay. When I came in out of the heat I was greeted by a frosty shop and the overwhelming smell of root beer, a smell that brought back many memories of sassafrass tea, "sasparilly soda", and many other things. It was a real treat.

If you ever get a chance to work with this stuff, I think you will like it for outdoor projects. It is soft, but no more so than cedar or redwood, two other woods prized for their outdoor utility. If I have time, I will get a few pictures before I deliver this thing. It is nothing special or out of the ordinary, and I am even building it from (gasp!) plans. Another thing that is making this job so enjoyable is that the plans have turned out to be accurate, something that does not always happen.

Bill

Donnie Raines
06-25-2004, 9:10 AM
Bill,

Your right on there...sassafras is wonderful to work with. Looks alot like oak in terms of grain structure, only the color is more silverish. The smell is prety over powering, but rather pleasant. Stains and accepts a film finish with ease. Sassafras is also pretty inexpensive...at least here in Ohio. 1.50-2.00 per board foot would not be out of the ordinary.

Please do post some pictures wen you get the chance!