PDA

View Full Version : Leather washer chisel handle advice needed.

Dan Forman
01-16-2009, 1:27 AM
I'm replacing the handles on an old set of socket chisels, using leather washers to cap the handles. My question is, should I leave the 1/2" tenon just proud of the leather washer, or make it flush?

I think I found all of the various tutorials out there, but the issue was not addressed.

Thanks,

Dan

Jim Koepke
01-16-2009, 2:21 AM
I have seen them both ways.

If the leather is below the wood, the wood eventually will mushroom over the leather.

Have seen some with a leather cap on top of the tenon so the tenon is not seen.

My thought is if the tenon is proud of the leather, then the leather doesn't get to do its job of dampening the blow from the mallet.

Then again, if a chisel is kept sharp, it does not need to get whacked real hard by the mallet.

Mortise chisels, that get whacked the hardest of all, tend not to have leather washers. Some do not even have hoops.

jim

Gary Herrmann
01-16-2009, 7:34 AM
I cut my tenon so it was flush with the washers when I made mine.

Dan Forman
01-17-2009, 3:22 AM
Thanks, anyone else?

Dan

Joel Moskowitz
01-17-2009, 9:01 AM
AS previously mentioned mortise chisels and other heavy use chisels do not have leather washers. If your goal is to duplicate a manufactured old handle then use a washer by all means. But if your goal is a stronger handle that will last longer save yourself the hassle and add strength by omitting the washer.

PS - I am pretty sure the main reason for the washers is to make the manufacturing of the handles using automated machinery C. 1900 go faster. the leather deteriotate much faster than wood under use.

harry strasil
01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
tutoral here, with pictures, http://traditionaltools.us/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=347&highlight=leather

Phill LeBlanc
01-15-2017, 9:56 AM
tutoral here, with pictures, http://traditionaltools.us/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=347&highlight=leather

is this tutorial still around? -- somewhere else? Thanks.

Ray Selinger
01-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Think about what the leather does. In perfect world, I would leave them slightly lower. Leather washers are an American thing, much like the metal caps on the Stanley #60 series chisels.

Jim Koepke
01-15-2017, 12:29 PM
is this tutorial still around? -- somewhere else? Thanks.

Howdy Phill,

Not sure which tutorial that was. There are some discussions on chisel rehab by Bob Smalser in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs. To get there click on the "Sticky: Neanderthal Sticky Threads" at the top of the Neanderthal Haven listings.

The Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs is one of the best kept secrets of this forum.

Though some of my chisels still have leather washers at the top, the replacement handles of my making do not have them. A sharpened edge doesn't need heavy mallet blows for much other than cutting a deep mortise.

jtk