PDA

View Full Version : New Student

Ken Salisbury
06-25-2004, 8:10 AM
At the end of the school year my Granddaughter Jessica (11 yrs old) wanted to help make a pen for her teacher. We did that one day and I let her do a little of the work. She asked me last weekend if I would teach her so she could eventually make some herself. Yesterday she and her brother Jacob (8 yrs) spent the day with me.

I gave her the basic lesson on proper use of a spindle gouge and scraper. She caught on really quick. I cut a bunch of 1" x 1" x 10" poplar turning blanks for her to practice on. After help on the first 2 she managed to turn 5 more 100% on her own, making them a smaller diameter each time. The last one she did was about 7mm diameter x 8" long - straight as an arrow. She applied a finish on each of them just like I would on my pens (sand to 600, burnish with chips, polish with compound, apply Crystal Coat and wax.). I had to drag her from the shop at 5pm. She will be coming back one day next week to make pens on her own, after some brief instructions.

It was amazing how quickly she took to the lathe. somewhat apprehensive in the begining, but got bolder and bolder as the afternoon progressed. Her smiles got larger and larger after each spindle she turned.:D

I think I have created another monster.

I didn't take any pics, but this is one of Jessie helping sort pen kit parts.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6516&stc=1

Bob Hovde
06-25-2004, 8:40 AM
Ken,

It must be nice to have a talented helper so close. I have to go to Colorado to see my grandkids.

Bob

Earl Reid
06-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Ken, I don't think anything is more precious than Grand children.
Earl