PDA

View Full Version : What chuck?

Heather Deans
01-15-2009, 9:06 PM
Hi All- When I originally purchased my Rikon mini lathe, I also purchased the pinnacle chuck with it, not realizing how much I would be using it. I've been turning a lot of bowls and small cups, primarily using green wood, and I have been having TONS of problems getting the chuck to hold well. I assume it is because the wood is soft and the jaws just aren't gripping well, although if you all have any other ideas please let me know. If I were to replace the chuck, any recommendations? I'm not doing huge pieces (it is a mini lathe, after all!), but I'm getting tired of peices trying to go airborn! Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Jim Becker
01-15-2009, 9:47 PM
Well...I happen to be a OneWay Talon fan when it comes to chucks due to the jaw design, but like the Vicmarc for the key system. One of the nice things about investing in one of the better chuck systems is that they generally use a spindle tread adapter that can be changed out if you change lathes as well as offer a variety of jaw size and type choices for more flexiblity.

Steve Schlumpf
01-15-2009, 9:48 PM
Heather, I personally am not familiar with the Pinnacle chuck but did a search here and found this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48585

Hope that is some info that will help. If not - let us know. Has to be someone here using the same chuck that can assist you!

Brian just pointed out that I forgot to mention that post #10 in the above thread has a chart for proper tenon sizing to fit the Pinnacle chuck jaws. Sorry for any confusion.........this is the post I wanted you to see: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=492634&postcount=10

Brian Effinger
01-15-2009, 9:51 PM
That's funny that you posted that Steve, because I was just thinking that Woodcraft has a Teknatool Nova midi chuck on sale for $84.99 right now. It is the same one that I use on my Jet mini, and I really like it. If you need a new chuck, Heather, I'd check them out.

Alan Trout
01-15-2009, 11:28 PM
The Nova G3 chuck is a great small chuck. I have one and really like it. The midi is also a good chuck. What is nice about the Nova line of chucks is jaw interchangeability. Jaws except a couple of sets work across the entire range of chucks. So if one day you have a big lathe with a titan chuck the jaws from the midi will fit. Some of the larger power grip jaws and larger jaws are not intended for the Midi or the G3. This interchangeability is not the case with most other chuck manufactures.

Good Luck

Alan

alex carey
01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
I too have the talon chuck and used it for my 12" lathe. It served me very well. If you get that you won't be dissapointed.

Alex

Bill Blasic
01-16-2009, 7:44 AM
It is important that you match your tenon to your jaws. If the jaws are closed at 2 inches aim for your tenon size to be between 2 1/8 and 2 1/16 so that you have more surface area of the jaws in contact with your tenon. If your jaws are dovetail jaws match that dovetail on the tenon as best as possible and lastly make sure the piece is sitting tight against the top of the jaws and not bottoming out on the inside/bottom of the jaw faces. My own preference are the Nova Chucks as mentioned all jaws fit all the chucks with the exception of the Titan Power Grip Jaws which only fit the Titan Chuck. You can purchase the original Nova Chuck from Tim Geist (the Teknatool Rep in the US) for $50 (this is a tommy bar chuck). I have several of each and use them on a daily basis.

Bernie Weishapl
01-16-2009, 10:00 AM
I have a Vicmarc VM100. It is the 3 1/2" Vic. It uses a dovetail tenon and I have never launched a bowl with it. One thing mentioned and is important is to measure your jaws when closed. Make your tenon no more than 1/4" larger than when they are closed and match your jaws if dovetail or straight. You want the jaws to cover as much of the tenon as you can.

Montgomery Scott
01-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Based on reviews by Russ Fairfield I bought a 4" Axminster for my 10" lathe. It's an excellent chuck. I also have the Vicmark VM120 for my 16" lathe. It is the best lathe chuck available and it very reasonably priced for the quality. I dislike tommy bar chucks so none of those made it to my short list.

Mike Cutler
01-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I have the Nova G3, with 50mm jaws, and Cole jaws. It works just fine.

Steve LeGrue
01-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I've used just about every chuck on the market, and several that are no longer available (anyone want to by a Sorby precision combination chuck?).
The Oneway is the best designed chuck, with a tenatious hold. All the others are prone to loosening in use, especially Nova products. The design of the jaws on the Oneway chucks is relieved at the edges so you don't need to worry about your tenon or recess size as with other chucks. The adaptor is a taper fit, not a threaded adaptor with set screw (Nova). This means your piece is always turning on perfect center, even when you take it off (or launch it) and remount it.
The comment about making sure the shoulder of the piece is fully seated against the top of the jaws is spot-on. You can't expect the jaws alone to take the pounding you are giving the work, anymore than you can expect a screw chuck screw alone to hold the piece.
Finally, beware chucks without stops for jaw travel. The Axminster chucks are famous for launching a jaw across the room when opened to the max.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Heather Deans
01-16-2009, 3:56 PM
Thanks so much all- I'll definitely check how I am making the tenon to see if I can get a better connection. If that doesn't help, I appreciate all the suggestions for other chucks!
Heather

David Gunn
01-16-2009, 4:57 PM
Bill,

do you have any information about how to contact Tim Geist. I am in the market for a chuck, and I heard the original Nova is a very good one. Does the $50 one you mention come with just one set of jaws?

Judy Kingery
01-16-2009, 5:03 PM
Heather,

I'm with Scott on this one, I bought an Axeminster on the recommendation of a friend here who turns, and then two sets of jaws and find it amazingly versatile, precise, and secure.

I turn mostly bowls and platters. So I'm not sure what they have in line for a mini-lathe, but I do really enjoy my Axeminster and have used it for years.

Best to you on finding what works best for you!

Jude

jim tracy
01-16-2009, 5:16 PM
Another OneWay Talon fan!!!