PDA

View Full Version : Cherry and maple burl natural edge bowls

Dominic Greco
06-25-2004, 8:09 AM
Hi Everyone,
Below are some pictures of (2) natural edge bowls I turned over the last several days. The first is cherry, and the second is maple burl.

Jim Becker may remember where the cherry came from. He and I managed to snag a good portion of this wood when road crews were clearing out by Rt#332 in our area.

The maple burl is another story. This wood was left in my driveway by the "burl fairy". Who is this elusive dispenser of highly prized and rare wood? None other than our illustrious Bill "5 Barns" Grumbine!

To make a long story short (yeah,....like I'm capable of doing that!), last Saturday my wife and I are just getting back from having a nice leisurely lunch. We pull into the driveway and there is this large chunk of wood sitting behind my truck. I think to myself, "I wonder who left me this?". Could be the neighbors. They all now of my "hobby". But as I get out and take a closer look, I realize this is the mother of all logs. It's a MAPLE BURL! Right then and there I know who left it. My buddy Bill! A quick phone call confirms this. I am once again shown I am blessed with some pretty cool friends!

Cherry Natural Edge Bowl Specs:
Outer dia.: 5 3/4"
Height: 6 1/2"
Wall thickness: 1/4"
Base dia.: 2"
Sanding Method: Wet sanded to 2500 Grit.
Finish: Watco's Danish Oil
Final: Buffed with Beall System

Maple Burl Natural Edge Bowl Specs:
Outer dia.: 5"
Height: 4"
Wall thickness: 3/16"
Base dia.: 1 1/2"
Sanding Method: Dry sanded to 2500 Grit.
Finish: Behlen's Friction Polish
Final: Buffed with Beall System

Thanks for viewing.

Bob Hovde
06-25-2004, 8:42 AM
Beautiful, as usual!

Bob

Bill Esposito
06-25-2004, 8:52 AM
Dom,

They are beautiful. I'm just as envious of your wood collection as I am of your skill :)

Jack Hogoboom
06-25-2004, 9:28 AM
Dom,

I'm starting to think I might have to buy one or two of these turnings you're posting....

Chris Padilla
06-25-2004, 10:07 AM
I'm still looking for that chunk o' maple burl when I come home... :( Nice work as always, Dominic. :)

Gary Whitt
06-25-2004, 10:24 AM
What do we have to lose for the burl fairy to visit us??? :rolleyes:

Wayne Swindlehurst
06-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Very nice work. Maybe in a few years my work will look as good. It reminded me of a sale on burl.

I just got an e-mail from Penn State Industries and they are having a burl sale, I believe it is internet only but its Burl ends from Australia and they are selling it for $6.67 per pound. I have no interest in this except to pass this info along to you, I am not connected to PSI in any way other than being a customer.

Wayne Swindlehurst